Do I need to look really "white" to teach English?

Hello all, first time posting, long time lurker.

I’m here in Taipei on vacation with my mom, and we stopped at a buxiban (Uncle Sam’s) after seeing an ad online that they were looking for English teachers.

We walked into the place and were greeted by some lady who looked confused. I wasn’t prepared with my resume or anything, I just stopped by to maybe talk about what it’s like to be a buxiban teacher.

After enquiring about teaching English to her (in English), the woman looked at me and said in Chinese to my mom that they want “waiguoren” to teach, and that first and foremost, they want people who speak English as their 1st language.

Of course I understood, so I responsed “I am American! English IS my first language!” and she looked confused and got another woman who hurriedly told me that they already had enough teachers.

I’m half Chinese, but I don’t look at ALL Asian. Granted, I was standing next to my mom (who is Taiwanese) but people can’t tell we’re even related. I have light skin, lightish colored hair and a fair (or “white”) complexion. If anything, people think I’m 100% Caucasian or part South American and are surprised to find out that I’m hapa.

I’m confused…in general, are people looking for blonde hair/blue eyed people to teach English? :s

Thanks!

Unfortunately yes. Keep trying though.

Who wants to work for a racist school anyway? (Note: Unfortunately the parents sort of dictate this rediculous policy).

There are some decent schools out there. Don’t give up.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep on looking! And I’m not about to buy some bleach and get blue contacts :stuck_out_tongue:

Ditto what 'stu said. It helps to look like a cheerleader out of a bad movie, but only if you’re looking to work for idiots. Be glad that they’re actively helping avoid bad bosses. Chin up and lots of luck.

Sadly an all too common occurance UltimateMeiMei, but as the Shtu man says, persist and you will find. But here’s a thought, be cautious of taking your mum in with you next time.

I dunno how you feel about it but some schools may also frown on you speaking Chinese, especially with students. Personally I think this is insane since it’s basically requesting you lop of a part of your brain to teach (disingenious, no?).

Better luck next time. Oh, and bleach is crap, you’ll have to use that really expensive stuff that turns the xiaojies white on the telly.

Berstest.
HG

And going in without your mom might help. :slight_smile:

If anything, don’t speak Chinese to anyone; and if they are curious about your “look” tell them your dad is half Latino. :howyoudoin:

good luck.

jds
:rainbow:

Get the hell out of here Jabooney! :fume:

Go breathe in the clean air or take a walk and not get run down or run off the road. Go to a Chinese take out place!

:wink:

Enjoy your vacation,
you baaaaaaaastard

Don’t let on you speak Chinese, it’s definitely a liability with a lot of schools.
Anyways, it’s more fun when the secretaries are talking trash about you and think you can’t understand.
And trust me, they will.
Look at Irishstu, he’s independently wealthy from opening a chain of “Learn to speak Irish” buxibans, and he’s never even been to Ireland!
As anyone can ell from the cheezy fake accent.

Haha thank you all for your replies. Actually my dad is half Italian, so I can say I’m part Latin :slight_smile: …oh I didn’t mean skin bleach, I meant hair bleach…

My mom came down to the buxiban with me because I’m stuck with her 24 hours a day. Typical overprotective nagging Chinese mother. I’ll try to escape!

I won’t speak Chinese either (I didn’t when I was there), or let on that I know Chinese. That’s hard though. I was so annoyed today, these two old ladies looked at me and said to each other “Look at this waiguoren walking during the red light…so stupid and ugly! Ha ha ha!” Ooh…I was fuming! For that time, I didn’t hold my tongue and yelled at them in Chinese :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“UltimateMeiMei”]Haha thank you all for your replies. Actually my dad is half Italian, so I can say I’m part Latin :slight_smile: …oh I didn’t mean skin bleach, I meant hair bleach…

My mom came down to the buxiban with me because I’m stuck with her 24 hours a day. Typical overprotective nagging Chinese mother. I’ll try to escape![/quote]

Roofies.

Roofies…haha…I have some sedatives (for the plane trip). I should try to slip em in her beef noodle soup during dinner time. :laughing:

Just give her whatever it is that all the guys in my office eat for lunch…god knows they’re out like trout for hours after eating it…

[quote=“jdsmith”]Get the hell out of here Jabooney! :fume:

Go breathe in the clean air or take a walk and not get run down or run off the road. Go to a Chinese take out place!

:wink:

Enjoy your vacation,
you baaaaaaaastard
[/quote]

You’re right, you’re right. hee hee hee
I’m outta here. -*-

[color=white]see that? bl*nk, and i’m gone.

-*-

gone again.[/color]

[quote=“UltimateMeiMei”]
I’m half Chinese, but I don’t look at ALL Asian. Granted, I was standing next to my mom (who is Taiwanese) but people can’t tell we’re even related. I have light skin, lightish colored hair and a fair (or “white”) complexion. If anything, people think I’m 100% Caucasian or part South American and are surprised to find out that I’m hapa.

I’m confused…in general, are people looking for blonde hair/blue eyed people to teach English? :s

Thanks![/quote]

Since your dad isn’t Chinese and your nationality is American, then I don’t see any problem.

If your last name ain’t Chinese and you don’t look Chinese, they’ll naturally assume you’re white American.

If you look 100% caucasian to most people, most buxibans won’t care. Blonde hair, blue eyed is preferable to them I suppose, but most are just happy to have a “white” teacher.

You only went to one buxiban. Maybe the woman at the counter was nearsighted or something…

Come on down here! I’ll interview you and, if successful, make sure you get a foreign teacher salary too. :slight_smile:

It’s Taichung county. :blush:

I don’t suggest actually hiding from your boss that you speak Chinese, just hide it from the front counter staff until you get the interview and then from all students and parents for a reasonable length of time. Let the boss know who you are and be hired for what you can offer the school.

Even if you work for a school that allows you to use Chinese in class, I’ve found it useful to not let on that you speak any Chinese in the first couple lessons in order to establish that English will be the language of instruction as well as the language being taught. Then when students are used to following your instruction in English you can start using Chinese in a judicious manner.

Of course, I don’t have the problem of appearing Asian or having a mom who appears Asian. All I have to deal with is the administration and the students.

Most of the bigger chain schools do not discriminate. There are a bunch of CBCs and ABCs at my school. Hess and Kojen are pretty good for hiring Asian looking teachers.

[quote=“the chief”]Don’t let on you speak Chinese, it’s definitely a liability with a lot of schools.
Anyways, it’s more fun when the secretaries are talking trash about you and think you can’t understand.
And trust me, they will.
Look at Irishstu, he’s independently wealthy from opening a chain of “Learn to speak Irish” buxibans, and he’s never even been to Ireland!
As anyone can ell from the cheezy fake accent.[/quote]

I find it odd that the schools would prefer that you don’t speak Chinese at all…the first month and a half that I was here looking for work, almost every school was looking for foreign teachers that spoke some Chinese…well, everywhere except the northern region. Or, maybe that was their line for not wanting to hire my girlfriend and I.

I am in the same boat as MeiMei, except I am even more screwed since I’m not even half-white. It sucks that after living in Australia, England and the United States, the worse instance of racism I suffer might be at the hands of my own countrymen.

I bet my boyfriend won’t have a problem finding a job though – he’s 6’3", blond with blue eyes. I guess we’ll be getting by mostly on his salary while I try to eke out a living doing translation or something.

Like they say in Idaho:

Our snow is white
Our potatoes are white
You better be