Do I need to look really "white" to teach English?

Yes. I AM white; back home considered a WASP; but I have black hair (and big Caucasian eyes, pasty-white (like the belly of a dead fish) skin; plus I’m awfully tall by Asian standards). Many Asians have said to me that I’m not really white because of the black hair. In fact some of my students in Sichuan insisted that I was Chinese; some of my students in Korea thought I looked Japanese. WTF?
NOT ALL white people are blue-eyed blondes!
NOT ALL blue-eyed blondes are native speakers of English!
Some people who aren’t white ARE native speakers of English!

[quote=“bababa”]NOT ALL blue-eyed blondes are native speakers of English!
Some people who aren’t white ARE native speakers of English![/quote]

First time in Taiwan? :smiling_imp:

[quote=“yisha’ou”][quote=“bababa”]NOT ALL blue-eyed blondes are native speakers of English!
Some people who aren’t white ARE native speakers of English![/quote]

First time in Taiwan? :smiling_imp:[/quote]
No. But it has started to really annoy me. I think it’s a question of being too long in Taiwan.

I read this post above a while.
so i want share my expirance, which a little diffrent.

Also i come to taiwan to be a software engineer in general. But could find not a position yet. So i look for a position as English Teacher.
So i walked in a school (i know look for english teacher) and just asked to can speak the BOSS (1st funny thing) in fact it seemed like this was the only little english speaking person. now fact is im german. english is not my native language. So i was suprised get the job on same day.
ah yes i have the physical needs to get this job: tall, blind, blue eyes

after i read this i really think about that most schools kinda racisitic in the choose of the teaher. i hope i can say that without get myself out :wink:

okey i run out of time have to eat something else will stay hungry rest of day hehe.

Bye bye

[quote=“denistheinert”]I read this post above a while.
so I want share my expirance, which a little diffrent.

Also i come to Taiwan to be a software engineer in general. But could find not a position yet. So i look for a position as English Teacher.
So I walked in a school (I know look for English teacher) and just asked to can speak the BOSS (1st funny thing) in fact it seemed like this was the only little English speaking person. now fact is im German. English is not my native language. So I was suprised get the job on same day.
ah yes I have the physical needs to get this job: tall, blind, blue eyes

after I read this I really think about that most schools kinda racisitic in the choose of the teaher. I hope I can say that without get myself out :wink:

okey i run out of time have to eat something else will stay hungry rest of day hehe.

Bye bye[/quote]

I wish you were joking, but you’re not. Ugh.

Also i come to Taiwan to be a software engineer in general. But could find not a position yet. So i look for a position as English Teacher.
So I walked in a school (I know look for English teacher) and just asked to can speak the BOSS (1st funny thing) in fact it seemed like this was the only little English speaking person. now fact is im German. English is not my native language. So I was suprised get the job on same day.

after I read this I really think about that most schools kinda racisitic in the choose of the teaher. I hope I can say that without get myself out :wink:

Bye bye[/quote]

Good grief! :astonished:
Please send me the name of your school so I can remember NOT to refer any parents there!
Then again, that is the TAIWAN WAY: Looks count!

After 6 six years in Taiwan, I’m still flabbergasted… :s

Bye bye[/quote]

I am so sorry you are blind. Was it hard to find the school? Did the kids grab your cane and stick it up your stool sample machine? Got the job on the first day, hungry? Yeah, I know. Don’t feed the trolls.

Bye bye[/quote] :bravo: I nominate this for the CLASSIC POSTS - HALL OF FAME. :bravo:

[quote]Okoy,

I be luuking for the gooda teacha to coma to our skool. Must spell gooda anda kan talka to the taiwan mammy and fada use way can understand udda people.

If not, one must be endowed to be equipped to utilise multiple expansive vocabularies in the most confusion and extraneous ways to be facilitate that one, a teacher, will most certainly not be understood. Utmost importance is vocabulary and flamboyant overuse of a plethora of vocabularies from online dictionaries. Should one, and this is possibly, could be, maybe be you, understand what is written here… you should apply by expressing your undeniable interest in the available position that our educational division has empty at this time.[/quote]

Ok, it’s way too late to be posting this garbage, but I will anyway.

Me talk good! Me teach English! Look me white skin!