Do locals just not care about air pollution or...?

It’s been done to death on thousands of other threads.

3 Likes

Ok thanks jimi peace :peace_symbol: bro

1 Like

Sometimes it’s from China and sometimes it’s local. The point is wind is weak or inexistant in winter.

The pollution is the same in summer but there’s never any pollution.

So, how does the pollution travel from China if there is no wind to push it toward Taiwan.

Australia is 21,415% larger than Taiwan with about the same population size. It’s probably a lot easier to manage pollution in Australia when the population isn’t concentrated like Taiwan due to mountainous terrain and geographical size.

I’m not an expert in this area but wind doesn’t just blow 1 way. The pollution is being carried by winds from the north west of Taiwan from China while another current converges from the east of Taiwan. So the pollution sort of gets stuck.

People put rubbish in bins and almost every street corner in the cities has a bin that is picked up each morning. With more space between each person that would appear harder to do.

Also, they have a program called Clean Up Australia. Which is taken very seriously. One day each year communities will pick up rubbish in parks, beach’s, hiking trails etc. They have a different attitude to the environment and treat it much better.

Behavior towards the environment is taught at school.

2 Likes

But with no winds as Gain is saying how does that happen.

There are wind currents. They just may not be strong enough to carry pollution out. The winds sort of coverage on Taiwan and lingers.

How long have you been in Taiwan? Taiwan has taken great steps in all of the things you’ve said since the 90s. Not saying there’s not room for improvement, but have you seen the rest of Europe and Americas?

Like I’ve said, Australia probably does a good job. But they’re 21,000% larger than Taiwan with a lot more nature with almost identical population to Taiwan.

Why are you assuming TW doesn’t care about it’s environment? It’s way better now than it used to be, and they’re doing a lot to fix it. My kids school was very environment conscious.

You have a very small densely populated area of land, of course that’s going to be harder to keep clean than Australia.

Care enough to complain, not enough to spend 1 dollar or kcal of effort to fix it. Like the rest of.our species with every environmnetal national emergency, wait til its too late then get up to address the issue.

Was in the west recently and.literally no mountain views from the 3 freeway. All grey and white, “sunny” day. It is shockingly disasterous. Becoming Beijing…

1 Like

??

Summer has less due to rains and.wind, winter does have wind as well albeit milder though in many areas its strong.

Taiwans situation of the west being coastal with lots of wind.is exactly why its not worse. Some gets caught up in the mountains, but tons blow away. If we were an inland place with actually no wind our visibility would be 1m rather than 1 km.

Last few days i have been driving around south and central western taiwan. The moutains were gone, i could literally look at the sun while driving and my car was covered in shit every few hours. Had to wash my windshield every 100km or so.

Pics from freeway, Not near cities. The central mountains were gone in pingdong, Kaohsiung and tainan. Further north the close hills looked smokey

Old pic of pingdong looking towards dong gang/kaohsiung. That same drive we went downtown k town and everything was grey. Sometimes the 85f building is 70% gone just a km away…

Kaohsiung

Tainan/chaiyi

Yunlin? Forgot exactly where. Between chayi and changhua

In the middle of the 2 hour long sunsets the west enjoys.

Setting behind smog mountain

1 Like

well, at least UV attentuation is cut down, cough cough cough. :relaxed:

3 Likes

That would be funny if it wasnt an actual fact :frowning:

1 Like

That looks like the #78 highway entrance coming off the freeway.

They aren’t even close in terms of environmental protection.
Water and soil pollution are just as big a problem in Taiwan as the air issue.
Soil management in Taiwan is absolutely appalling. I often see folks growing veggies around cities and edges of town where factories are located or may have been located in the past. I see them using all kinds of plastics such as polystyrene acting as containers to grow their veg too. Many have no common sense. The government seems to barely monitor anything.

There are tens of thousands of illegal factories on farmland. .That’s an insane number on a small island. And that’s just the illegal ones.

I’ve never seen even one illegal factory where I grew up.in Europe.
Taiwan acts like a third world country sometimes even though it’s rich. Allowing people to grow rice besides metal and chemical and plastics factories :neutral_face:. Sometimes you see farming banned signs but it’s rare.

5 Likes

Where did you get those maps. I feel they have represented salinity and sediment levels with pollution.

The second water pollution map is a joke.

1 Like