:facebook: Do NOT Teach English in China and Why EVERYONE Should Read This

I’m rarely embarrassed by the stupidity of others. I mean, how would I post in IP if I were?

Depends on what “party” entails.

Not one but two English teacher friends of mine used to do this.
Drove me crazy. I cottoned on and I just wouldn’t bother calling them back.
Cheapskates.

1 Like

Purge gains momentum.

A spokeswoman for EF declined to comment on the content of the notices but said the company “values our close collaboration with the Chinese authorities,” adding that it “regularly reminds staff of important regulatory and compliance policies.”

it is about 25% higher than it was 30 years ago.

1 Like

So nice steady growth. :whistle:

2 Likes

No idea about economics , so I don’t know if that’s sarcasm or not. :grin:

I’m gonna go with, “Yes.” Yes it is. :smoker:

oh ok so what would it be now if it was really steady growth? Let’s say we agree that it was 500 per hour, 30 years ago.

Well, “steady growth” in Taiwan or elsewhere? You can’t imagine predictable growth in a stagnant economy.

They also have a low birth rate which affects the cram.school.business. Lack of kids and too many schools. That’s factor affecting wages for teachers.

In a few years, cram schools, public schools and even universities will be shutting down left and right. Experienced teachers might have to take crappier and crappier gigs and FoBs won’t even be able to get that. They’ll be left out in the cold. It’ll be Japan circa late 2000s all over again, except here.

2 Likes

Of course. It’s why many of my friends who were able to do so have moved to Vietnam. However, it doesn’t explain the wage stagnation up to 2000.

For Tertiary level instructors, 2025 will be the crunch.

Hopefully I’m gone by then, but who knows.

As I’ve mentioned I used to teach at a uni in South Korea. They have the same problems with birth rate declines. A year after I left the whole English department was shuttered, and all the western uni instructors were laid off with less than a semester’s notice and ended up taking jobs at cram schools and public schools.

1 Like

What do you mean by “Tertiary level”?

People above school age.

1 Like

Go back to school Crusher. :grinning:
Where I’m from we tend to refer to it as third level which is the same thing (hopefully an English teacher won’t correct me now ).

English teaching industry has been on a slow and steady decline for decades , and yet there are still lots of folks making a decent living out of it . It’s an area that I wouldn’t recommend my kids to go into though.

Qualified teachers, in most subjects , have lots of options around the world though. Not a bad profession at all.

2 Likes

It’s a big world and getting so black and white/nationalistic about ESL jobs is pointless. Some guys have a good thing going on in China. I wouldn’t live/work there, but I can’t grudge them for what they have.

It’s a good thing is definitely subjective. China doesn’t sound like a nice place to work in general. Open work permits seem to be impossible to get these days even for married people ?