Do people actually have carpet in Taiwan?

Carpet was all the rage in 1960s America. You should see some pics of Trumps’s “luxury apartments” in the 80’s! My parents house built in the white flight American ‘burbs was carpeted in the living/dining room and kitchen; some super nice wood flooring in the bedrooms. I’ve seen many a home in the US with carpeted bathrooms (gag).

I don’t think people are huge fans of carpeting in a lot of places around the globe anymore. “Luxury” seems to be something you can run a swiffer around and quickly clean up. And in Taiwan, where most homes are built with no desire for natural light or ventilation, you’re begging for a soggy nasty moldy gross pile of something you’d never want to step on. Think about the spring when the floor is soaking wet from humidity. Tile is the only thing that isn’t going to be destroyed by the climate here.

That’s why we invented dehumidifiers.

1 Like

My dehumidifier has never been a match for Taiwanese spring. But I imagine keeping homes and commercial buildings at arctic temperatures in the USA is a big reason why carpets are more manageable