Do people traveling from the USA have to quarantine?

It’s not just my understanding – it’s according to the person I talked to on the government hotline. He said that if I tried to stay at a non-quarantine hotel, I’d cause everyone who comes in contact with me being quarantined, and I will be fined NT$150,000.

When Taiwanese citizens are required to stay at quarantine hotels, which are more expensive than regular hotels, if their homes are deemed unsuitable for quarantine, what makes you think foreigners are exempt?

Please note unsuitable means you do not have a separate room and a separate bathroom from the rest of the household, so that other residents can avoid having contact with you at all times.

And no Mahjong games!

1 Like

We mahjong fanatics are quite inventive

vvv513_0

1 Like

Interesting, there are a few posters that say one can stay at an Airbnb as well and are doing so. Would that fall under “a residence that you can safely quarantine in”? Is quarantine now 14 + 7 days? There are supposedly Airbnb listings that say quarantine as well, so maybe they have cleared things officially?

Need to call someone in the government for a question like this. Things are changing so much all the time and you’ll just get conflicting information on forumosa. I don’t know what number to call but I’m sure it would be easy to track down.

It’s working fine. We are looking at a number of Air B’n’B places where people (Taiwanese returnees) are doing their quarantine right now. And also just private rentals.

Re the government person that someone spoke to above that thought differently — that’s not surprising. Government officials everywhere sometimes have trouble keeping up with the rules.

To find quarantine-friendly Air B’n’B places in Taipei, Google exactly this:
台北 “居家” site:airbnb.com.tw

Cool, thanks for the search hint! You want 居家檢疫, right? Cause there are a few 居家辦公. I will check with the official source when it’s time for me to quarantine

1 Like

Has someone called 1922 lately?

Here is the number I called: +886 (02)2960-3456 Ext.9 – it’s the same as calling 1999 from New Taipei City.

Here is the “1922” number from overseas: +886-800-001922

You can be fined up to NT$1,000,000 for staying at an AirBnB/apartment that is not a government approved quarantine hotel (and the landlord can be fined up to NT$800,000):
https://www.ntpc.gov.tw/ch/home.jsp?id=e8ca970cde5c00e1&dataserno=1feb2c01a57f1a8ef929922a066de472

BTW, meals are included in the prices of quarantine hotels.

3 Likes

That link just had NTPC cracking down on 日租套房 in general. Note the date of the article. It says nothing about short term rentals made through a website being an unsuitable place to quarantine.

If I sign a 15 day lease for a townhome, whether directly with the landlord or through a website, what laws am I breaking?

1 Like

Check the kind of meals. Also availability of delivery by Uber or Food Panda. One week of 70NTD Bento or 711 fare will ruin your mood, not to say your stomach.

Could be worse. A pal posted pictures of quarantine food in China. Calling that food was quite a compliment.

as @gnaij said, this is misleading. The fine up to NT$1,000,000 seems to be for breaking quarantine (going out of the room), not for staying at an airbnb.

I just called +886-800-001922 (i.e. 1922) . The person said the same thing as the guy at 1999 – if you don’t already have a residence or your residence is unsuitable for quarantine, you must quarantine at a government approved quarantine hotel. Why don’t you guys call 1922 and find out?

The title said: 嚴堵防疫漏洞,新北市政府即日起重罰日租套房,若旅客為須隔離或檢疫者,將依紓困條例移送,最重可罰100萬 「日租套房」is short term rentals, AirBnB included.

seems some people stay at Air BNB in place of a hotel, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xPiz438Bk&t=118s

That was in March. The new rule started on May 4.

1 Like

The article says

針對投宿日租套房的旅客,如果有違反傳染病防治法隔離或檢疫措施者,不排除將依剛剛通過的防疫紓困條例移送,最重可處100萬元罰鍰,業者也將重罰80萬。

I’m not yet convinced that staying at Airbnb itself is illegal.

You may need to inform the room owner or hotel that you will do a quarantine and get an agreement beforehand, at least, though.

Also don’t forget, have to use government approved transportation.

I think someone already fined for not using approved transportation.

2 Likes