Do people traveling from the USA have to quarantine?

Here is the number I called: +886 (02)2960-3456 Ext.9 – it’s the same as calling 1999 from New Taipei City.

Here is the “1922” number from overseas: +886-800-001922

You can be fined up to NT$1,000,000 for staying at an AirBnB/apartment that is not a government approved quarantine hotel (and the landlord can be fined up to NT$800,000):
https://www.ntpc.gov.tw/ch/home.jsp?id=e8ca970cde5c00e1&dataserno=1feb2c01a57f1a8ef929922a066de472

BTW, meals are included in the prices of quarantine hotels.

3 Likes

That link just had NTPC cracking down on 日租套房 in general. Note the date of the article. It says nothing about short term rentals made through a website being an unsuitable place to quarantine.

If I sign a 15 day lease for a townhome, whether directly with the landlord or through a website, what laws am I breaking?

1 Like

Check the kind of meals. Also availability of delivery by Uber or Food Panda. One week of 70NTD Bento or 711 fare will ruin your mood, not to say your stomach.

Could be worse. A pal posted pictures of quarantine food in China. Calling that food was quite a compliment.

as @gnaij said, this is misleading. The fine up to NT$1,000,000 seems to be for breaking quarantine (going out of the room), not for staying at an airbnb.

I just called +886-800-001922 (i.e. 1922) . The person said the same thing as the guy at 1999 – if you don’t already have a residence or your residence is unsuitable for quarantine, you must quarantine at a government approved quarantine hotel. Why don’t you guys call 1922 and find out?

The title said: 嚴堵防疫漏洞,新北市政府即日起重罰日租套房,若旅客為須隔離或檢疫者,將依紓困條例移送,最重可罰100萬 「日租套房」is short term rentals, AirBnB included.

seems some people stay at Air BNB in place of a hotel, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xPiz438Bk&t=118s

That was in March. The new rule started on May 4.

1 Like

The article says

針對投宿日租套房的旅客,如果有違反傳染病防治法隔離或檢疫措施者,不排除將依剛剛通過的防疫紓困條例移送,最重可處100萬元罰鍰,業者也將重罰80萬。

I’m not yet convinced that staying at Airbnb itself is illegal.

You may need to inform the room owner or hotel that you will do a quarantine and get an agreement beforehand, at least, though.

Also don’t forget, have to use government approved transportation.

I think someone already fined for not using approved transportation.

2 Likes

This is fake news. I know a few people who are currently doing their quarantine at an Airbnb. They get their daily check-in call from the cops. They seem to think its fine.

I also know some came back from Canada in rented house in Kaoshuing (not airBNB, and her mom leaves meals at the front door. Her mom does not want her live at “home” so rented a place.), seems fine. It might be some cities/ areas have different rules.

It’s funny because Airbnb is illegal in Taiwan. In fact, the only legal places for short term rentals (< 1 month) are licensed hotels and homestay facilities.

If an Airbnb or a non-quarantine hotel allows you to quarantine there, then they are breaking the law (Well, Airbnb is breaking the law anyway). What you might be able to do legally is rent a place ahead of time for a month or more. Of course, you should let the landlord know that you will use it for quarantine, and see if they are okay with it. (Most likely the landlord will say no, because neighbors won’t like it.)

Like many things in Taiwan, cops are not going to bother until someone reports it.

1 Like

Locals or foreigners? If foreigner, married to local or single?

And yes, now that one thinks about it, it is not reported as an Airbnb stay, since Airbnb is illegal.

And thinking about it, on what kind of ARC are OP and company coming? We have been closed off a while, are they sure their ARC is still valid?

One more time: the date printed on the ARC is for illustrative purposes only, it does NOT mean it is valid to that date as it depends on whether the reason for your ARC is still valid, not the other way around.

my bet is investment ARC.

We’re in the process of applying for gold cards, but we don’t actually have them yet and so we won’t be arriving for the next 2 months at least.

I think we’re agreed that quarantine in a home (i.e., apartment/townhouse/detached house) is okay. Provided every adult undergoing quarantine has their own room and bathroom to prevent back-and-forth transmission. And that home can be your own residence, a long-term rental, or a short-term rental, like an Airbnb. I know an Airbnb is okay because I told the screening officials at the airport I would be staying in one. But, the Airbnb host needs to know and approve of you to use their residence for quarantine purposes.

One question in this thread is if hotels not on the quarantine hotel list can take in those undergoing quarantine. I don’t know the answer. But, if a hotel is willing to take those undergoing quarantine… why not just add themsevles to the list? And if the government workers know you’re going to a hotel to do quarantine and the hotel isn’t on the list, why wouldn’t they make the hotel put itself on the list?

renter of an Airbnb is illegal, but rentee is illegal too?

Airbnb hosts break the law by operating illegally, and guests break the law by staying at illegal dwellings knowingly. You will only get punished if someone rats on you.

A hotel must meet certain criteria and be inspected and approved by the local government to become a quarantine hotel. For example, it cannot share entrances/stairs/elevators with residents; the staff must go through safety training, and PPEs must be provided, etc. A hotel that is unwilling/unable to become a quarantine hotel but still take in people who are subject to quarantine are dodgy, to say the least.

1 Like