Do people wear suits in Taiwan?

There are differing degrees within casual wear too. Among foreigners, if I see cargo shorts, flip flops and a wrinkled tee shirt then my first thought is an English teacher.

4 Likes

I really only see it for certain jobs like in finance/banking.

Or business executives at the office.

1 Like

I wore a suit on the plane when I first arrived here. bought by my grandma in canada. Serious mistake. That suit has never been worn since. I have a different suit made with WAY lighter material here that gets pulled out when I HAVE to wear one. usually I wear shorts and a T with sandals in a taxi, then change around the corner. they are seriously uncomfortable here for a thick blooded canadian. But I see people in suits on scooters in summer on the regular in cities. Much respect, for me thatā€™s heat stroke and sweaty yellow whitesā€¦

I donated all my old suits when I moved to Taiwan, and havenā€™t needed one so far (I live in the south, and work from home). Seeing this discussion has prompted me to consider buying one, though, just in case I do come across an occasion where itā€™s needed.

May I ask, what are examples of some occasions in Taiwan that required you to wear a suit? They donā€™t seem to be worn much at weddings or funerals here.

work: events, meetings with clients, overseas business trips.

2 Likes

For me, work. usually only with bigger wholesale clients that we need to have a proper meeting or meal etc. I dont wear them to funerals or weddings (unless I am the groom). Funerals depends on the relationship, but I refuse to go to funerals with work contacts. Friends and family only, and because of that relationship suits are not really needed. If I was going to work related funerals, I would wear a suit. Same with weddings. But I no longer do that.

Otherwise outside of work, but still kind of work, is with political things. Though very rarely those get to suit level without being about money.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t you wear a tux? Or are suit and neck ties more common here for the groom?

So to sum it up, there is pretty much no occasion for someone who works from home in Taiwan to buy a suit? (Assuming I go for a rented tux for my future wedding.)

1 Like

ya fair. I suppose in this thread I am lumping all those formal wear into 1 thing :slight_smile: Weddings and such I just rent one from the company doing the wedding if i must wear one (very rarely now).

a suit for work really depends on ones work. I am self employed so sometimes i need to meet other owners and look fancy and fake. otherwise i am fine with holes and sandals around the house. shorts and T out and about. Nice pants and dress shirt for most meetings, meals etc for work.

Ok, is there a general rule to follow to know which weddings require suits and which donā€™t? They donā€™t tell you in the invitations, do they?

This is all new to me, because ALL weddings back home in the US are suit weddings.

You need one if you go out to meet clients, attend trade shows, participate in high level networking events (e.g. chamber of commerce) .
If all your work is done in underwear then no need.

3 Likes

All my work is done in underwear, if I guess Iā€™m off the hook.

Although Iā€™m still worried about being invited to weddings and showing up in a dress shirt and tie when everyone else are in suits.

1 Like

No, it is very much a case by case.

if you are going to company funerals/weddings. formal for sure. if you are going to a farmers wedding, less formal but tidy and respectable.

for friends, depends how close. same with family. plus everyone has their own way.

I have been to many weddings in Canada where things are fairly casual. dress shirt and pants, even nice Jeanā€™s are fine. Just depends who. If it is not a work thing, it is fine to just ask the people holding the event what they would like you to wear. It is not taboo, and probably respected that you care enough to respect them.

1 Like

You could wear a tie instead, to mix things up. Just put down a towel first!

Thatā€™s because most of foreign English teachers here when they go for an interview wear cargo shorts and t-shirts, which I personally find very unprofessional. If I were a Taiwanese student, I wouldnā€™t want to take classes with someone dressed up like that.

1 Like

Are we talking hazmat or regular type here?

Itā€™s always nice to have your own suit. At least one. Never know when you need it.
As a person who participates it different photoshoots and commercials with other foreigners, I often see people wearing oversized baggy or very small tight suits that donā€™t fit them well. When I ask them where did they get that suit, people often tell me that they borrowed it from a friend or rented it.

Tuxedo is a different story. Unless you wear them quite often at some cocktail parties, there is no need to have one.

We are discussing regular suits here. I opened a new brand called ā€œRoberto Diaz Collectionā€ in Taiwan and advertised it in one of my posts. Someone started discussing who and how often do people wear suits in Taiwan? What are the occasions for wearing suits? etc.

Based on my experience, it is better to be a bit overdressed than wearing clothes that donā€™t match the occasion. It is always easy to make your look more casual with a suit by simply taking off the jacket, unbuttoning shirt a bit and rolling up the sleeves.

3 Likes