Do posters on forumosa represent (us) expats on Taiwan?

He’s getting worse (stronger hate speech) the last couple of weeks. Probably because they’re on to him, his family, his businesses. He might lose (return) a big green pile to the government if he’s still alive in a few years, but his family will. And orange will probably be the new Trump fashion color.

Every week it’s a new manufactured ‘crisis’.
Invasion LMAO.

Now it’s some more rabble rousing about citizenship from birth rights, which are guaranteed by the Constitution anyway.

And there does seem to be an uptick in hate incidents recently.

What’s the point of bringing more citizenship and immigration up now except electioneering ?

I will say this though :), he’s put it up to China which no other major world leader had done and it’s been a long time coming !

Whether he sells us out or not for a better deal with China…We don’t know . Thank God for the Taiwan US congressional act.

Trump gets way too much credit for a good economy in the US. All he did was juice an already hot economy and stock market with tax cuts and backdated the pay cheque. Although helping to get funds back to the US was a beneficial move for investment decisions . They shoud have just given a time limited tax amnesty though because the national debt servicing costs will rocket . You can see the tension develop with the federal reserve as they urge interest rates to be increased !

Bait-and-switch tactics!

You seem quite sure of yourself. Not sure why you care, I don’t care, I’m not American, I know neither are you. Anyway, I assume you care from the point of view it contributes to a toxic political environment and are forced to watch more of this on the news, just like me.

But I will play devils advocate. Oh no it’s not. It does not guarantee birth rights for people who are in the country illegally.

If worded correctly, and I’m sure Trump is well aware of the legal standing a Presidential EO could both allow previous rulings such as U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark to stand and present a new question purely on people who entered the US illegally.

It would be challenged and work it’s way up to the Supreme court for a decision.

yep. that’s basically the plan

I think the right should only be given to people with parents with green cards or at least 1 parent with citizenship.

But, it will be interesting to see if it will go through with an executive order. I don’t think not allowing people here illegally to gain citizenship for kids is that absurd of a change.

And suddenly the ‘constitution’ is flexible. Not if it’s about gun rights?

no worries, he’s got his new best friend on the block to do a pinzer move

cue @Brianjones with his favorite ‘b’ word

The president has the power given to him by the constitution to order an executive order on how to enforce the law. Congress can vote it down and the Supreme Court can say it’s unconstitutional.

It’s not like he’s doing whatever he wants and bending the constitution.

The constitution does still leave some room for interpretation.

I don’t think @Belgian_Pie realizes the 14th amendment has room for a different interpretation.

Than why is there a constitution at all if you leave everything open for ‘interpretation’?
It’s like a built-in back door.

I would agrue it’s bad to have no room for interpretation with context of time.

It’s not like the constitution is extremely lax on the meaning. It’s pretty clear on what you can and can not do with some small details that may be left up to the interpretation of ultimately the Supreme Court. That’s why we have checks and balances. No one can overreach (at least in theory, some have legit arguments that the executive branch has continually extended their reach)

the executive order is a power given to the president. And like I said, Congress can vote it down, Supreme Court can overturn it.

Ok, here is what the 14th amendment says.

The 14th amendment declares that “all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof , are citizens of the United States and the States wherein they reside.”

What does subject to the jurisdiction thereof mean. Try googling it. Googles own pull down menu, first option.

The plain meaning of the 14th Amendment means that one must BOTH be born in United States AND be subject to the jurisdiction thereof . … This excludes illegal immigrants who are in defiance of U.S. jurisdiction and are citizens of a foreign power.

Meaning the 14th amendment was never meant to apply to people who entered the country illegally, or on a tourist visa. But don’t take my word for it. In the words of the person who wrote it.

So, why does it currently exist in the form it does. Because no one has ever challenged it. The closest was U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark. But he was in the country legally and his permanent residence was U.S.A.

If worded correctly, Trump gets to keep the previous ruling but challenges the idea people who entered the U.S illegally should be automatically become US citizens.

Anyway, that’s the debate that will be had. You can now watch the dishonest media, who know all this, but won’t fill in all the facts.

Exactly, that part you highlighted is within the power of the president to determine how to interpret and enforce.

Well the moment you are born there you are under the jurisdiction of!

Well that’s what we are about to find out isn’t it? There hasn’t been any ruling on what exactly that means. The president is perfectly within his rights to try to use his executive powers to enforce it the way he thinks it means. Up to other branches to support or overrule him. All is well.

Its just obvious electioneering and banging on about immigrants again to the base…Soft targets every time.

I don’t care either way myself but it’s a constitutional right it’s not like he can easily change it anyway.
You want a dictatorship go for it. :sunglasses:

You mean he’s trying to do the things he promised his supporters he would do if he got elected? My god, the horror. Are we so used to bullshit politicians the one who is doing the things he promised he would do is the nut job?

Fair point. And when I said I don’t care either way I can also can see how foreign parents can abuse the citizenship at birth. Common enough for Taiwanese and Chinese to do this and I find it quite distastefulz especially given their attitude to immigrant rights into heir home countries.

But the timing right after the whole invasion fiasco sending the troops to the borders malakay. That’s electioneering. And it’s going to ignite even more division .

Technically he isn’t trying to change the constitution. He is trying to enforce it “correctly” which is one of the job description of the president.