Do schools have black males set up to fail?

Like what, exactly?

I’d like to hear more about this too.

I’d like to hear more about this too.[/quote]

Black Males Suspended/Expelled at Increasing Rate

Black male conundrum

[quote]Why this matters

District officials have long said they are committed to eliminating the achievement gap for black boys. At the same time, data show that black male students are hardest hit by punitive discipline that affects their academics:

* Studies have established a strong correlation between suspensions, course failures and dropping out. Black boys in CPS have the highest dropout rate of any racial or ethnic group, and also the highest rates of suspension and expulsion. 
* CPS scrapped its zero tolerance policy in 2006 in favor of restorative justice, which encourages schools to avoid punitive discipline and help students understand why their misbehavior is wrong and make restitution instead. But restorative justice has yet to take a strong hold.
* Black male teachers, who can serve as mentors to black boys who are struggling academically and with their behavior, are in short supply in CPS.
* The racial disparity is also apparent in suburban Cook County, where black boys account for just 11 percent of students but 35 percent of those suspended at least once and 44 percent of those expelled[/quote]

Black Male Drop Out

[quote]Not Getting the Basics

Prince George’s County District Judge Herman Dawson, who regularly deals with the issue in his courtroom, said skipping school and lack of educational support at home leaves many young people unprepared to survive high school.

[color=#FF4040]“They are not getting the basics in elementary school, so by the time they get to high school, they have lost interest,” [/color]Dawson said. “They can’t compete. Because they can’t compete, they become disruptive and eventually they end up leaving.” [/quote]

Why Black Male Teachers are needed

Ah. Murkinatorland. Bloody foreigners! :laughing: A different planet over there.

Is ‘Murkinatorland’ a play on the word murkin? Made me snigger.

First thing that came to my mind was, “What do they do to get expelled?”

Or isn’t it PC to ask that? :idunno:

[quote=“bismarck”]First thing that came to my mind was, “What do they do to get expelled?”

Or isn’t it PC to ask that? :idunno:[/quote]
That’s what I was wondering, too? I doubt it was for being too black.

[color=#008040]Mod note: Split from another thread.[/color]

I’d like to hear more about this too.[/quote]

Black Males Suspended/Expelled at Increasing Rate

Black male conundrum

[quote]Why this matters

District officials have long said they are committed to eliminating the achievement gap for black boys. At the same time, data show that black male students are hardest hit by punitive discipline that affects their academics:

* Studies have established a strong correlation between suspensions, course failures and dropping out. Black boys in CPS have the highest dropout rate of any racial or ethnic group, and also the highest rates of suspension and expulsion. 
* CPS scrapped its zero tolerance policy in 2006 in favor of restorative justice, which encourages schools to avoid punitive discipline and help students understand why their misbehavior is wrong and make restitution instead. But restorative justice has yet to take a strong hold.
* Black male teachers, who can serve as mentors to black boys who are struggling academically and with their behavior, are in short supply in CPS.
* The racial disparity is also apparent in suburban Cook County, where black boys account for just 11 percent of students but 35 percent of those suspended at least once and 44 percent of those expelled[/quote]

Black Male Drop Out

[quote]Not Getting the Basics

Prince George’s County District Judge Herman Dawson, who regularly deals with the issue in his courtroom, said skipping school and lack of educational support at home leaves many young people unprepared to survive high school.

[color=#FF4040]“They are not getting the basics in elementary school, so by the time they get to high school, they have lost interest,” [/color]Dawson said. “They can’t compete. Because they can’t compete, they become disruptive and eventually they end up leaving.” [/quote]

Why Black Male Teachers are needed

Doesn’t sound like schools have black males set up to fail. Sounds like their own families have them set up to fail.

Aren’t too many people suggesting that Asian male teachers are urgently needed to keep Asian boys in school are there?

I asked this in the other thread.

[quote="[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/do-schools-have-black-males-set-up-to-fail/58492/6 in another thread[/url]"]First thing that came to my mind was, “What do they do to get expelled?”

Or isn’t it PC to ask that? :idunno:[/quote]

I thought the thread title meant set up to fail teaching English in buxibans…

That’s another thread… :whistle:

yeah. Kind of pointless to take my one post and stick it out in space.

[color=#008080]Mod note: fixed; thanks for the heads up and sorry for the clumsy split![/color]

Which is why I added my question from the other thread. No one seems to be trying to answer the question, though.

Ah well…

Edit: FWIW, I agree with your comment in the OP of this thread.

Again, it’s probably a problem of educating the parents first.

Which is why I added my question from the other thread. No one seems to be trying to answer the question, though.

Ah well…

Edit: FWIW, I agree with your comment in the OP of this thread.[/quote]

It’s not unPC to ask, I could weigh in but I think Housecat would better versed in answering this than I since she made the statement and has more
more experience (education wise) than I.

[quote=“lupillus”]
Aren’t too many people suggesting that Asian male teachers are urgently needed to keep Asian boys in school are there?[/quote]

Different story in the States. Majority of Asians tend to attend schools that are predominantly white, and have better support systems in place.
Plus the education expectations for Asian males are different.

marylandpublicschools.org/NR … rch_08.pdf

*This one is excellent as far as I’ve read it, but I haven’t finished it. inmotionmagazine.com/er/pntroub1.html

catalyst-chicago.org/noteboo … asing_rate

archive.newsmax.com/archives/art … 4654.shtml

These are the first four articles to catch my eye upon googling “why so many black males fail in public school.”

The articles take differen approaches and are written by different kinds of people with different perspectives. They are even from different States.

I did more research on this in grad school, but I don’t want to try to look that stuff up now, as I’m in the middle of trying to move to Taiwan.

In a nut shell, different things are expected of black males. They’re expected to be great athletes; they are not expected to be great writers. They are expected to be good rappers, but not good poets, or good mathematicians. A black student in a classroom is simply not the same as a white student in the same classroom. The think differently, they relate differently, and they’re perceived differently.

Generally speaking, black males have a different culture than their white counterparts. Making direct eye contact with a black male can be seen as a challenge or an insult. A black male student may take criticism “on the chin,” looking away from his teacher with a very tense stance. This may be seen as aggressiveness or obstinacy by his teacher. A white male in the same situation might look down at his shoes, or make eye contact and plead more of his own defense. Of course, this is gross generalization, and I’m not sure if I’m being clear enough, but I hope you get my point.

Also, in general, young black men are much more boisterous and loud than their white counterparts. They are also often larger bodied and stronger. Some teachers may simply fear the threat of this physical power, even if the child shows no aggression.

As teachers, we are supposed to try to teach to a child’s strength. If a teacher has strong black male students in class who have trouble staying in a seat, he or she is supposed to allow that student to use his body to learn and to express their learning. This kind of thing is good for many students, but its more work for teachers. Guess how often it gets done.
They are motivated much more by earned respect than by imposed authority. This is very different than their white counter parts –and the way most teachers get the job done in their classes.

From my own experiences this year, in my class and in school in general, I’ve found the earning of respect to be the number one way to motivate a young black male student (or any student). Students must be able to trust you before they can feel safe exposing a lack of understanding about their lessons. This is so much more so, it seems, for some black males, because they stand to lose face. It’s much easier to fail because you have a chip on your shoulder than because you think you aren’t smart enough to “get it.”

Sound familiar? It should. In fact, I see a lot of similarities between Black and Chinese cultures. Black families are usually very large and extended and very, very loyal to members. There is a very real and strong sense of face and even guanxi (though there isn’t that word) in Black culture. No matter how close I’ve become with my friends here, I’m white. I’ll always be white. But I have a friend here where I could go to crash—at her house, her parent’s house, her aunty’s house—her family accepts me because she has accepted me. It’s like that. A lot like with the Chinese. My friend has a much younger cousin who calls her mom. She’s her God mother, but that is taken seriously and my friend is considered her mother—just like her real mother.

I’m sorry. I guess I started this conversation, but tomorrow is my last day of work, I’m leaving the house on the 1st and the country on the 10th. I won’t really have time to talk much more about this for a while. But if you really want to know more about it—it’s a very well researched phenomenon these days and it won’t be hard to learn more with a little search. :wink:

So its the “schools” who are doing this?

I guess that rap music sub-culture and being born into a single-parent family family thing have nothing whatever to do with the situation?

Pass the blame…it’ll hit the whiteman sooner or later…and, IMO, that whiteman is Lyndon Johnson and his “Great Society” social engineering plan that completely destroyed the Black Family Unit.

Do the research. This is where it started.

[quote=“housecat”]

A black male student may take criticism “on the chin,” looking away from his teacher with a very tense stance. [/quote]

Chin-check.

Interesting post, HC. I’ll get to reading your links soon. :thumbsup: