Do second hand clothing stores exist?

Don’t go to night market. Try regular malls.

If comfort is what you’re going for, you may want to reconsider jeans because once it gets hot here they suck. Uniqlo, as someone already mentioned, has lighter stuff. Sizes can be a bit wonky though. You can also check out the hiking/traveling stores. You can get very light and comfortable pants there.

I’m still trying to figure out the OP.

There may be second hand clothes from foreign visitors, I guess. Can’t be very many, though. Best to fumigate before wearing?

Jinmei day market has a stand where an old guy sells factory surplus, mostly Taiwanese makers of US name brands like Levis. 200 to 400 NTD tops. Taiwan factories in Nicaragua or Vietnam do this kind of clothes.

Look for such stores that sell waishao or export clothing, which means US brands or at least Western sizes. We have one in Xindian, called Made in Taiwan, good selection of jeans, pants and stuff for tall people. I know of another store in Zhongshiao Fuxing, behind Sogo, but their selection has not been that good recently. There are still one or two left in Tianmu, Zhongshan section 6, but more expensive.

I understand the kind of second hand stores Luthier is looking for. We have a lot of those in the old country. Everything from vintage classics to Salvation army goods, up to brand new store returns. Mostly in good condition and really cheap.

They get shipped off to Africa. Not sold in Taiwan.

I frequent a couple of second hand stores for old magazines and memorabilia. Most do not take clothing at all.

So that’s the recurring theme in Taiwan, everything used gets sent off to Africa and Taiwanese do not use old stuff at all?

I remember reading somewhere that this practice, while well intentioned, has actually helped to kill off local fabric and garment industries in Africa, as they can’t compete with stuff that is basically given away for free.

Guy

4 Likes

Social welfare foundations do charity bazaar.

1 Like

The second-hand market is a big thing in Japan, including players (ahem) such as these guys:

https://www.hardoff.co.jp/en/

Bring this trend to Taiwan, please!

Guy

Costco had denim Levi 501s for sale last fall. They didn’t last long, though. They might return this fall. I don’t remember the price, but I do remember thinking “that’s a very good deal.”

No inseam lengths over 32", unfortunately.

Uniqlo for f’s sake. The bear only shops at Uniqlo. Never had any quality issue.

Unlike Zara, which is shit.

3 Likes

I hate clothes shopping, so I’m glad to have Uniqlo. They have the clothes I like–not weird avant garde fashion–for a good price. All the stuff I’ve ever bought there has lasted a long time.

Plus you can browse and try stuff without being badgered by simpering sales staff.

2 Likes

Carousell the app, focuses on 2nd hand items and clothing. But its very young hipster focused https://tw.carousell.com/

1 Like

Seems there are such stores. There was a special report last month, this is one of the stores featured:

IMG_20190325_224852

IMG_20190325_224859

1 Like

I hate buying and selling used stuff, people on carousel are annoying. People are such cheap asses and low ball ridiculously. I rather throw my stuff away than sell it to some of these people. It’s especially bad with Taiwanese people, SE Asians are also really bad about low balling.

2 Likes

I don’t know how often, but TAS does flea market. There might be US clothes.

1 Like

There is a rather big second hand shop out next to Costco in neihu, big size jeans, shoes, etc

Where does all that clothing go that’s dumped into the Goodwill boxes?

I found Levis at Costco for 999 but they have other brand of jeans that cost less (and have the same quality as Levis). The Kirkland brand seems fairly similar in quality and costs much less.

I don’t like thin jeans in Taiwan, when I wear them (and I only wear them in the winter) I want them to have some weight.