Do Taiwanese girls need to be married before 30?

Add on that the idea and expectations of what a marriage is are very very different culturally.

I’ve seen dudes shipwreck because they cant figure this out and take the differences personally. Learning mandarin and a lot of time in rural TW helped.

I think a lot of people now favor just living together like they’re married without actually getting marriage recognized by the state.

1 Like

In Taiwan they have now made it so simple to get married and divorced that the document is really like my ex wife said , “just a piece of toilet paper”

That’s the way. Why legally and financially entangle yourself in a situation that will require courts lawyers all that.

Marriage to me seems like a better idea after 35 40. Just date til then…

Don’t be ridiculous.

2 years is a big difference.

Well that’s exactly my point. The US is more developed than Taiwan but people get married earlier there. It’s related to education, but in the US even college-educated people get married early.

Only about a 33% of US over age 25 go to college - compare that to Taiwan’s 45%. If education is your only metric - Taiwan is more “developed”.

My whole point is you’re projecting the few fb friends you have to Americans in general. I think that says more about your circle of friends than the whole of a country, no? Broad strokes to paint Americans in a bad light. Thus my assumption.

Edit: no hard feelings - just making an observation.

I’d be careful with the US being more developed than TW thing…is in some ways def not in others…

1 Like

I think even people in the US don’t know how underdeveloped some parts are. People attribute the coastal cities as the US but oh boy…we have our share of underdeveloped backwardness.

1 Like

Many colleges in Taiwan might as well not be, and I never said education was my only metric.

It’s not. The reality is the first marriage age in the US is younger than in Taiwan, logically there will be more Americans marrying themselves in their early 20s than in Taiwan.

Well, according to Taiwanese ppl the US is so developed that it poops gold.

1 Like

The good ones will be married before 30 for sure.

What kind of ageist, backwards garbage is this? My wife was 37 when I married her. We had a healthy kid along the way. That was 3 years ago and everything has been great. In fact, many career women are waiting until their mid to late 30s to settle down and start a family… yes, even in Taiwan.

5 Likes

Are you even married, dude? What would you know about the “good ones”?

2 Likes

I’m more wary of the intentions of anyone willing to marry at that young of an age if anything

2 Likes

@the_bear, you could see how @Aussienewtaipei is a great poster here.

it seems the marriage rates in their early 20s are similar, but more people in their late 20s are married in the US.

Pushes are probably more overt for women (and men) to have kids by the time they are 35-40. Nearly every woman I know in that age range who isn’t married with at least dreads the inevitable conversation during CNY about why she isn’t married/doesn’t have kids yet. I have one friend who tried to take the heat off his wife by stepping in and saying that neither of them want kids and now basically avoids his mother.

They don’t “need” to, but there is a lot of social pressure (though less and less in recent years) to get married before 30 so they are not considered “old maids”.

On top of this, the “9” years (29, 39, 49, etc.) are considered bad luck, and are years in which people are believed to be most likely to die. This is because 9 symbolizes being just short of completion or perfection, and evil spirits tend to mess more with people who are on the verge of achieving completion (age 30, 40, 50, etc.).

Combine the two, and there is pressure to be married and settled by age 30, so husband and wife are fully established (married, house, career, family) in life. As Confucius said, 三十而立.

1 Like

They used to 20 years ago, it’s not so much a thing anymore . Most get married in 30s I believe .

Still more than 50% of first marriage of female are under 30, but I also think it is not so much thing anymore .

Total first marriage in 2017: 112474
Female
10s: 2534
20s: 56520
30s: 48205
40s: 4472

Under 30: 59054
30 or above: 53420

結婚人數按年齡婚前婚姻
https://www.moi.gov.tw/click_change_url.aspx?t_name=site_node_file&t_sn=6351&node_sn=6843&f=main

2 Likes

Interesting, I think they may get married earlier in traditional areas , countryside.

Now how many people out of the adult population are actually getting married ?

chances lower, eggs are older, chances of losing are higher. Is really stress for couples when they want a baby and they can’t, I know one who spend more than a year and a lot of money.

2 Likes