Do Taiwanese men pay for everything in a datin relationship?

My girlfriend says it’s normal for the man to pay for everything. Any Taiwanese people on here that can confirm or deny this? She also says that her friends whose boyfriends pay for everything…don’t do housework.

Yep, it’s true. Everytime I’ve been out with a Taiwanese guy, he’s paid for everything. Or at least attempted to pay for everything. But, then again I’ve been out with plenty of Western guys who try to pay on dates, too. I don’t think this is just a Taiwanese thing.

Yep… you’re also expected to pay for the complete range of LV bags…maybe Gucci too, a BMW Z4, a 60 ping apartment… and a little dog.

Note, you don’t pay her for sex, though, usually you pay someone else for that.

HG

Not true in my case.

I pay, she pay and sometime we take money from eatch other.

We have a free flow off curency betwen uss and it works perfectly.

We are newer broke because one off us allways have something left in out bankacount.

I make more a day than he makes a month. So I try to pay for everything. But he usually pays. If with our pay gap he still pays, I would say that this generalization may be true.

Most Taiwanese people (men and women) who i’ve been to drinks/dinner with have tried to pay the bill, often in sneaky ways too.

It’s different in a relationship though. As I earn more money than most Taiwanese girls I would normally pay for most of the things during the relationship, but if she was never willing to pay for anything I’d be out of there.

Well, the girl I meet seemed to want to pay her way and I think it’s fair to share, sometimes :wink:
I mean, if you’re serious, then that’s the way it should be really, although I kind of like to treat the lady in question so…

Most Taiwanese people (men and women) who i’ve been to drinks/dinner with have tried to pay the bill, often in sneaky ways too.

It’s different in a relationship though. As I earn more money than most Taiwanese girls I would normally pay for most of the things during the relationship, but if she was never willing to pay for anything I’d be out of there.

So the females get everything paid, and don’t do housework?

You will find women like that in Taiwan, that said, their general attitude to life usually cause me to send them on, with the label “damaged goods” attached.

There are plenty of females in Taiwan willing to pay their own way - or sharing the bill as well.

Houseworkwise, yup, again, that’s all over the place. If you live together and you don’t start sharing that, it’s very odd.

The stories I hear from my GF is that the boys her friends are with are not all that happy about house work, and basically don’t want to touch a dirty bowl.

My suspicion is that the girl you are with is telling you something with a nice litle agenda in mind - making you feel bad if you are unable to give as much and do as much as what her friends BF’s supposedly do. I think the phrase usd by psychologists is “guilt-giving”, and I find it used more among Chinese and Taiwanese than anywhere else.

Guilt-giving is not a clear cut matter. If you are hard to communicate with, it might be a way of getting your attention - the better response would be to show her that you listen. If it’s something she does because she’s used to do it - and it has worked for her in the past, make it known to her that it does not work on you.

[quote=“Stian”]Not true in my case.

I pay, she pay and sometime we take money from eatch other.

We have a free flow off curency betwen uss and it works perfectly.

We are newer broke because one off us allways have something left in out bankacount.[/quote]

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Well, the girl I meet seemed to want to pay her way and I think it’s fair to share, sometimes :wink:
I mean, if you’re serious, then that’s the way it should be really, although I kind of like to treat the lady in question so…[/quote]

We scandinavians are so cute the girls do annything for us :sunglasses:

[quote=“Stian”]
We scandinavians are so cute the girls do annything for us :sunglasses:[/quote]

Err… I would say that the women are so liberated in Scandinavia that they want to be equal with men and that also means paying their share of the bill as well. It’s quite rare in Asia to go dutch on the first few dates. For me, I am a little more old-fashioned and on the first few dates, it’s customary for men to pay… But once we’re a couple, I’d say it’s give and take both ways.

The way I see it, if the salaries are equal, then by all means go Dutch. That’s only fair. If I’m dating a white girl in Taiwan she’s more than likely a fellow teacher, making just as much if not more than me, so there’s no reason for me to pay the way for a liberated Western woman. Some of them would get insulted if I did, anyway. However, there’s a wage disparity between what I make and what a lot of the locals make. If I’m making double her salary, or in some cases even 3 to 4 times what she’s making, it doesn’t feel right to me to make her throw her money away just to have a good time with me. I feel obliged to pay her way when we go out, because what’s a little bit of money to me is a lot of money to her.

It must be a scandinavian thing, actually.

In the very moment the women see us, they take out their wallets…“How much for that handsome hunk?”

[quote=“Mr He”]It must be a scandinavian thing, actually.

In the very moment the women see us, they take out their wallets…“How much for that handsome hunk?”[/quote]

Women earn the same as men and just as many rights as men in Scandinavia, yes? It’s a women in liberated modern societies vs. women still living subserviantly in more traditional societies thing. They call it “go Dutch” because the custom originated in Holland, which has always been the most liberal society in the world, even back when they coined “go Dutch”.

[quote=“Quentin”][quote=“Mr He”]It must be a scandinavian thing, actually.

In the very moment the women see us, they take out their wallets…“How much for that handsome hunk?”[/quote]

Women earn the same as men and just as many rights as men in Scandinavia, yes? It’s a women in liberated modern societies vs. women still living subserviantly in more traditional societies thing. They call it “go Dutch” because the custom originated in Holland, which has always been the most liberal society in the world, even back when they coined “go Dutch”.[/quote]

Not because Dutchies are cheap bastards? My Dad is the cheapest of them all. I remember playing soccer with him and he would be goalie. The goals are like 2m x 2m and he gave me 1c per goal. I didn’t even get 1 goal and he never felt guilty. :fume:

So Erhu… Maccas love?

I say who ever asks whom ever out should pay. Man woman dog cat. Doesn’t make a difference. Unless you’re a student. :smiley:

but remember… only a female dog / cat, and only in Lebananon

Nama are you sure? If a girl was to ask me out I may feel awkward if she paid, especially if I didn’t know her well. Sometimes when I go out I really splurge and it gets quite expensive. Western restauants here can run $5000 for dinner and drinks no problem. Much more than I would have to spend in Canada.

[quote=“Mr He”]It must be a scandinavian thing, actually.

Could not say it bether myself :slight_smile: