Do Taiwanese public school teachers buy their jobs

EOD wrote about this on a couple of other boards And at first I was quite shocked

eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=337

tealit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16980

Can anyone else confirm this for me? Who do they pay and how much? Does it depend on the area? How is the money paid?

It won’t be till next Monday till I’ll get to ask the licensed teachers at my kindergarten about this. I’m quite interested. As I never thought of a public school teachers job as being that valuable.

Why hasn’t this been covered in the newspapers?

CYA
Okami

I’ve never heard of it, though that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I’m sure it always helps to have connections. From what you have heard, is it in regard to local teachers or foreign teachers? Is it in regard to English teachers or teachers of all subjects?

I am curious how many foreigners actually teach in public schools, how they found their job, and what their role is there. Here on Segue, the subject of teaching at public schools keeps coming up, but I’ve never met anyone who actually worked at one. At private schools, yes, but not public ones. Nor have I ever heard of or seen recruitment efforts to fill such positions. Outside of the Hsin Chu experiemental school and this new TET program, I thought public schools couldn’t hire foreign teachers.

I have personal knowledge of two local teachers paying bribes to transfer from school A to school B. The principal of school A got a nice little hongbao of around NT$150,000 for “releasing” the teacher.

My boyfriend said his high school in Yangmingshan had several foreign English teachers … apparently they teach “conversation” classes … he said one of them was Fillipino, but the only thing he remembers about the class was that she had a really big chest … :laughing:

Did you vote in the pole or should we start a new one here? I am really curious as to how much people will pay or have paid for these positions.

I voted in the Daves poll. I only voted $1000-5000NT, because I view it as the current TET program job. I would pay more if the benefits were the standard civil service benefits even if the pay was less. Probably around $100,000NT then, but it would depend on the salary offered, notably not less than $35,000NT.

Okami

I was teaching at a private high school - via an agent - that loaned me to a public high school for a few lessons a week. I talked to the people in charge there about becoming f/t but they seemed pretty certain that they couldn’t do so legally even if they had the budget.

Apparently there was no way they could get me a working visa, no way to stump up the necessary cash, and no way to account for it. Of course this is as a foreigner with no automatic right (eg through marriage) to be here or to work.

Perhaps it would be possible to grease some palms, but the costs mentioned above seem pretty outrageous compared to the salaries offered.

I’ve had exactly the opposite experience – the public/private (the line between the two is pretty fuzzy, really) school I teach at is just dying to get me on full time. The problem, as I understand it, lies not in the legalities (heck, the loaning out of buxiban teachers to public/private schools is in itself illegal, technically, but no one ever bothers about that) but in the economics. The salary caps imposed by the government on full-time teachers doesn’t allow schools to compete against the private sector for foreign teachers, thus the (illegal but universal) practice of contracting for staff with buxibans. Budgeting that as “miscellaneous English expenses” gets around the salary cap.

Kaiwen

Similar to one of the above posters, I work for a private primary school that wanted to ‘loan’ me out to a neighbouring public primary school a year or so ago. Anyway, apparently when the principal of my school told her public school counterpart how much I was expecting to be paid, she coughed up a mouthful of Mr Browns coffee and spat it out all over her phone. I think they were prepared to offer me $NT300-350 an hour.