Do Taiwanese Teachers make more $$$ in buxibans or public schools

At the elementary school level? Does anyone know? I assume the qualifications to work in a buxiban are probably less strict

:joy:. Depends who you ask. I know Taiwanese that were making NT400/hr tutoring English in college. I also know Taiwanese that are making NT200/hr in cram schools + not being paid for the enormous overtime they are required to work. (People who went to NTU and NTNU but didnā€™t want to/failed the ā€œentrance examsā€ for being a public school teacher in the place they wanted to live)

Remember that public school teachers here get a pension and New Years bonuses. Anyone who thinks theyā€™re not making much money can ask themselves how most Taiwanese public schools teachers own multiple properties. No, its not all mommy and daddyā€™s wealth.

Teaching at buxibans can be very lucrative. It depends on what one teaches, and how good/famous one is. The very famous teachers make tens of millions per year. I know one famous math teacher that made 1 million USD per year, and that was more than 20 years agoā€¦

1 Like

Those are really low pays. Current students at NTU should be able to demand at least $1K/hour tutoring high school students. Here are the going rates for tutoring: 2023 å®¶ę•™č²»ē”Øļ¼Œč®“ę‚Øåæ«é€Ÿäŗ†č§£ęœ€ę–°å„幓ē“šå®¶ę•™č”Œęƒ…價- PRO360達äŗŗē¶²

2 Likes

That 15k nt per hour if he work 40 hours a week.

He was making 50K to 100K per classā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s crazy, how many kids in the class ?

Iā€™m talking about Taiwanese elementary school teachers vs Taiwanese buxiban elementary school teachers specifically.

1 Like

Elementary school if on a permanent contract could be anything from 40 to 80k month, but the pension and benefits are very good. Buxiban teacher couldnā€™t match long term.

2 Likes

I was actually just talking about this to my Taiwanese coworkers in my office, I work in a public elementary school. They earn about 40k-50k a month, not sure what kind of bonus they get for CNY or anything. These were two subject teachers and one subject/director. I have no clue what a homeroom teacher earns. The director really wants to go to America to teach since the pay is a lot higher there.

One thing to note is that a public school teacher is hard to fire. Once they get hired they can pretty much stay there until they retire. If they start doing a bad job, then the principal will tell them they should transfer to another school and they can pretty much do this every 2ish years. If they donā€™t transfer then the school might start the paperwork for getting them fired. If they get fired they have to take the teachers test again before they can get assigned a school.

1 Like

US schools arenā€™t known for paying well, and cost of living is typically higher. Not to mention other problems like school shootingsā€¦

Lack of accountability is generally a part of teaching in government schools. The UK has increased audit culture and this has resulted in high turnover and a chronic teacher shortage. Canada has seen, as a result of the pandemic and online learning, a lot of teachers returing early and part of that is the accountability they suddenly face when forced into online teaching

For cash in hand, a talented hard working teacher will usually do better in private schools. For maximum gain with minimum effort over a career, public school is the way to go

2 Likes

:100:

Building success in the Buxiban is much harder and you will need to be lucky to find the right school. Over the course of 5 years you could work hard and train yourself to become an excellent teacher making over $100,000 a month (edited). Teaching becomes easier as you gain experience.

Public school teaching takes minimal effort but the hours are long. I couldnā€™t figure out a way to accommodate the massive disparity in English levels among the students in one class. I think it would be very hard to do a productive job in public schools so you can either coast by or burn out.

2 Likes

Are you talking USD? Iā€™ve never heard of anyone making that much working for a buxiban in Taiwan. Maybe if they are the owner and they hire others to teach?

Sorry $100, 000 a month :joy:

1 Like

150-400. These were usually exam prep cram schools (So not the elementary school level jobs that the OP was interested in). You can find some near Taipei Main Station.

1 Like

So 1.2 million USD a year, not bad, not bad.

2 Likes

What they probably mean is go to America to teach Chinese ? Taiwanese WITH teaching degrees can do this. Ask them next time what they mean.

Yea, he would like to teach Chinese there. I also mentioned to him since a lot of states have a teacher shortage that he could probably get a job teaching any subject pretty easily.

Has anyone told him some of the reasons why there is a teacher shortage?