Do Taiwanese Teachers make more $$$ in buxibans or public schools

They got 18% interest on their savings.

Cram schools in Taiwan advertise with how much students on average/individual scored on an LED screen outside their school. That’s pulling in people that want to pay $$$ for their kids to succeed at exams.

Used to.

They also could retire after 20-25 years, retiring at 50 was a sweet sweet deal. They could also get their kids free kindergarten and other perks. Low interest rate loans. Annual salary and of course almost impossible to fire. These days their package has been pared back a bit.
Needless to say, nobody needs to feel ‘bad’ for teachers here. They also get exaggerated respect in the villages and towns for people who aren’t actually that smart or well educated.

And property prices were way lower too.

1 Like

Anyone know how much a principal makes at a public elementary school?

My director and I were talking about pay again and I told him he should take the tests and become a principal. He then said a principal only makes around 70k a month. Roughly my salary. I find this hard to believe. I was thinking they make more into the 120k-150k range. Maybe his bonuses make up for it. I do know that he gets a yearly health check of around 65k that the school reimburses him for.

dafuq they doing for 65k?

A principle I know gets 200k a month at a private elementary school.

1 Like

I know multiple Taiwanese public school teachers and I know quite a few buxiban teachers. They make around 65-80k depending on experience in a public school in the south. The buxiban Taiwanese teachers make peanuts. I think around 30k in the south or like 200nt an hour. Working a shit ton of hours on both ends. Rightfully so, a buxiban teacher can be a college student often times.

There is a level of respect and admiration that comes with being a Taiwanese public school teacher in Taiwan.

As for foreigners, the salary at a public school is 60k-70k, and buxiban is probably around the same, and a roll of the dice depending what kind of moronic leadership you get. It could be really awesome or really horrendous. Most of the time it’s piss easy work though, you launch sticky balls at the board. Some buxibans are quite serious though and won’t expect you to be a clown ass.

1 Like

The salary is wrong. There was a pay raise this year. It starts a 65k and goes to 100k. Depending on degree and experience. Bachelor’s degree is 65k-85k, Masters 72k-95k, Doctors 76k-100k. I believe experience is 1-15 years.

Are we talking about respect from the students or from the public? If it’s from students I don’t see this, at least at my school. From the public, maybe but I never really asked anyone.

I think it includes a lot. Like blood check, different scans like CT, xray, ultrasound. You can look on some hospital websites and see what they include.

Maybe 70k for a public school principal is more normal then.Even if it is, I think it is quite low.

start is 65k…and for a doctorate with 15years you get 100k…LOL
its absolute shit.

I know Goofus doofus playing stick ball all day with barely a bachelors degree in piss taking making 100-120k… at BUXIBANS.

3 Likes

I’m also a goofus doofus without a bachelors (but with an education) making 70k at a buxiban and topping up another 30k subbing at buxibans/public schools.

It doesn’t pay to further your education (in Taiwan)… I actually want to but seeing as I need to take a few years out of my career and won’t earn extra afterwards… I’ve decided not to, I’d be worse off

2 Likes

I wonder why do all you Goofus Doofus folks not start your own buxiban? I think some of you must have tried or thought about this and so then the question is why did it not pan out?

1 Like

Not enough capital yet. Don’t wanna deal with a bank to get a loan. It’s my long term plan :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I wouldn’t call you a goofus, it actually takes a lot of effort and control to deal with some of the shit show buxibans in taiwan. I actually know quite a few really smart guys/gals who work at a buxiban. I think im referring to more of the shit show buxibans where the barrier of entry is basically being white.

1 Like

I’m not dumb or a twenty year old in my gap year either. I just worked full-time as soon as I finished high school (and haven’t stopped since) and work places paid for my education but they are not bachelors degrees.

My buxiban is OK, they have terrible business skills which is hard to watch but they pay me well and the bosses are nice so if they don’t wanna ask me how to make more money that’s their choice :sweat_smile:

and that’s why it’s hilarious to me that Taiwan wants this quick fix English problem in microseconds by paying people like asscheeks for public school, where the barrier of entry is higher.

1 Like

I have a friend who only works 4 hours twice a week and makes 60K a month. Who wants to sit in a school 8 hours five days a week for the same? It’s ridiculous.

It’s their regular teacher’s salary, which depends on their pay grade and academic degree, plus NT$9,330 for the position, plus a research stipend of NT$33,390.

Source: https://roseryan101.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-post_72.html

1 Like

Long holidays in the summer, though.

For the public school pay scale, the thing being left out is the $5000 NT for housing every month, $10,000 is you are married. So teachers now make a minimum of $70k per month and up to $110k with a PhD if you top out the experience scale and are married.

1 Like

Plus they don’t work evenings like buxiban teachers. Or weekends. And they get a break from working twice a year

There are many work-life balance factors involved beyond money

5 Likes