Do they have the slightest idea how stupid they look?

All these idiots on the MRT wearing tee-shirts with incomprehensible English sentence fragments on them?

Last week, on the same ride, I saw two completely independent examples, one a boy wearing a shirt reading “WHAT A FUCK”, and the other a boy wearing a hat reading “FUCK (tiny font)hollywood USA(/tiny font)”. I can almost understand the latter, given the garbage Hollyweird churns out, but I doubt that was why he was wearing it.

This doesn’t even begin to mention all the unfortunates who wear shirts with random English crap dribbled about on them. Sentence fragments, mostly. Make no sense whatsoever. has loving toward. in the deepmost.

Don’t get me wrong, some of the garbage in the U.S. is mildly nauseating, such as the hideous sweatpants that landwhales wear, adorned with slogans across the ass like “JUICY” and “PINK”. Yeah, I know, they’re trademarks, brand names as it were, Victoria’s Secret sells “PINK” brand clothing in all sizes, makes the landwhales feel sexy enough that they expect to snog and snag a millionaire. So what?

Have their English teachers failed them? Do they not learn in class that wearing garbage like the aforementioned makes them look like complete fools? In the name of humanity, WHY???

It’s nearly as absurd as the moronic foreigners who get arbitrary Chinese characters TATTOOED onto their bodies! Now THAT looks stupid!

This was also my first thought as I read the original post. I can understand kids want a t-shirt with some English on it. And I can really understand that when choosing such a shirt (assuming it wasn’t given to them) they will not care one whit about the grammar. Fashion and grammar do not need to go hand in hand. They wanna look cool, not express an anal desire to be correct.

I mildly hesitate to relate this one, but I can’t resist. My wife has a shirt with HOTS in big capital letters wrapped around the waist. From the front, only the first two are visible, from like 20 yards off.

It’s been banned from NY :slight_smile:

I hope those shirts never disappear. I would hate to go into my favourite 100 buck chinglish t-shirt shop and discover all the good ones were replaced because of some misplaced do-goodery.

I do think we should rail against the over the top use of sparkles on clothes though. Nothing says classy like sparkles, I know, but they come off in the wash and it’s a pain.

:notworthy:
Oh, yes…

This was also my first thought as I read the original post.[/quote]

I third that.

Personally I like these. Makes my day seeing slogans like “OMG I NEED MORE COCK” (a particularly memorable one from last year) written across some girl’s chest. Gap-year english teachers should start to panic when these T-shirts start disappearing, because it means the quality of Taiwan’s education has improved to the point where people can read them, and will therefore no longer need gap-year english teachers to supplement the pisspoor instruction they receive in high school.

San Jose has some vietnamese cafes where (besides excellent ice coffee) the attraction are twenty something girls wearing only bikinis or a see thru blouse with a g-string bottom.

Yes, I do sometimes drive 60 miles each way to go there, sad as it is.

At any rate, most of the girls are vietnamese (no surprise there) but a few are latinas. Theres this set of near twins (they arent but they look like twins) who are drop dead gorgeous. I think they could make more as a model for vic’s secret.

At any rate, one of them has a tattoo of her ex bf on her belly in big letters. His full name and its something like a foot across and about 3 inches high. And its her EX bf. (she has no other tattoos on her body that i could see, and i could see a lot).

So that has got to be purrrty dum.

[quote=“tommy525”]San Jose has some vietnamese cafes where (besides excellent ice coffee) the attraction are twenty something girls wearing only bikinis or a see thru blouse with a g-string bottom.

At any rate, most of the girls are vietnamese (no surprise there) but a few are latinas. Theres this set of near twins (they arent but they look like twins) who are drop dead gorgeous. I think they could make more as a model for vic’s secret.

At any rate, one of them has a tattoo of her ex bf on her belly in big letters. His full name and its something like a foot across and about 3 inches high. And its her EX bf. (she has no other tattoos on her body that i could see, and i could see a lot).

So that has got to be purrrty dum.[/quote]

Post clear photographic evidence to substantiate your outrageous accusations, besmirching the hard working Vietnamese cafe workers of San Jose.

This was also my first thought as I read the original post.[/quote]

I third that.[/quote]

I still remember someone barging into the Japanese chat room on AOL, asking for the Chinese characters for “free spirit” so they can have it tattooed. Many Japanese characters are borrowed from China, but I doubt they knew that. Anyway, I offered the suggestion they get it from someone they trusted, lest they end up with something like “worthless ghost” stylishly tattooed on their person.

Tattoo removal costs several order of magnitude more than its application. Reminds me of a short story we read in high school about a guy who goes to a chemist for a love potion. The chemist mentions he sells a poison that is absolutely undetectable, seemingly a nonsequitur. The guy brushes it aside and keeps asking about the love potion. The chemist assures him it’s 100% effective and inexpensive, unlike the equally effective poison which would take him a lifetime to pay for. The guy quickly buys the love potion and as he leaves, the chemist says to him: “au revoir,” which is commonly used like “bye” but literally means “till we meet again” or “see you later”

[quote=“formosaobama”][quote=“tommy525”]San Jose has some vietnamese cafes where (besides excellent ice coffee) the attraction are twenty something girls wearing only bikinis or a see thru blouse with a g-string bottom.

So that has got to be purrrty dum.[/quote]

Post clear photographic evidence to substantiate your outrageous accusations, besmirching the hard working Vietnamese cafe workers of San Jose.[/quote]

:laughing:

Or 免費酒, which is not a bad tattoo unless you’re working as a bartender.

How did you find out it’s her ex?

I’ve never understood why people do this. Are they perhaps likely to get their current bf/gf’s name confused with a long list of other ones at a crucial moment, and therefore need a conveniently-placed reminder?

I asked her. She told me. I told you. I guess being a young lady she thought love was forever.

Wow. I guess that explains why monobrowed neanderthals still manage to spread their genes around. That line actually works.

The person who sits across from me in the office has a phone message that announces “you got message” several times a day. I’ve almost tuned it out now. She doesn’t speak English. I guess it’s cool though.

I bet if you printed up a buncha tee shirts in various colors and stick a famous label on it, you could say anything. You could say “I got humped” and it would sell.

You could get dog turds with LV written on them in sequins and if you paid Jolin Tsai to advertise them, people would buy them. Such is the nature of fashion.

It’s like they say: You can’t polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter and cover it with perfume.

I’ll pay as much as $50 US for an authentic Jolin Turdbag. Do you have a link please, G.I.T.?

I read that one too actually, however in Junior High. What would the name of it be?