Do we both need to have a job lined up before we travel to Taiwan?

Sometimes in the past, the government seems to have indicated that it requires a lease agreement or an acceptable substitute. People seem to have gotten by with an acceptable substitute (not that I know what has happened to everyone in every case). Now, I hope no one faints dead away when they read this shocking revelation: Different people have had different experiences in dealing with the government here.

[quote=“The National Immigration Agency”]II. Required documents :

1. [color=#000080]A certificate of current residence[/color][/quote]–Requirements of application for an alien resident certificate (ARC) upon entry via a visitor visa

[quote]a paper signed by your company that you are really at work, [color=#000080]a lease contract (or any proof of residency)[/color]

bring copies of passsport, visa, [color=#000080]lease contract[/color], work permit. they’ ll check the original and keep the copies.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 8#p1275978](ARC application for non teachers - #2 by BigNoodle

Very ocassionally, the NIA will ask for [color=#000080]a contract or water bill[/color] to prove residence at a certain location… which might be usueful in case of a contract but normally the utility bills come under the name of teh landlord…

what I mean to say is that Hess is not pulling this out of mid-air. There is a list of stuff that you should bring when getting an ARC, or renewing it. It is rarely enforced to the last comma, but it might be true in thsi case.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 0#p1203990](House Contract - #9 by Icon

[quote]Now, we have been informed that there are new rules, and we additionally need:

Tax Certificate
[color=#000080]Original Housing Contract[/color] for EACH Applicant[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 50#p398950](Have the ARC requirements changed?

[quote]Usually you will need a copy of your husband’s ARC, multiple photos for each applicant, each applicant’s passport, a marriage certificate for you, and birth certificate for each of the kids. You may also need [color=#000080]proof of your residence such as copy of the lease[/color], though the address on your husband’s ARC may be sufficient. [/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 87#p669887](Meow's Immigration Adventures - #41 by jlick

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]As I was about to get up and leave,[color=#000080] the person behind the counter informed me that I would also need a lease[/color]. I told him that I didn’t have one, and he told me that I had to get one, and that I should come back and see him specifically. I didn’t get a lease, but[color=#000080] I came back the next day[/color], and instead of seeing the guy from the day before, I took a number and wound up seeing a person who happened to be having an animated, friendly telephone conversation while she processed my paperwork. [color=#000080]She didn’t ask to see my lease[/color], and I got my ARC renewed.

The third time, which was about a week or so ago, I showed up with some kind of [color=#000080]statement from my neighborhood leader[/color], or block leader (I’m not sure what the right term is), saying that I lived at such-and-so address. I also had a bunch of [color=#000080]electricity bills[/color] for the same address (although they were not in my name). I had those things out so that the person behind the counter could see them, and [color=#000080]my boss had already discussed the issue with someone at Immigration. [/color] The man behind the counter probably saw the statement and the bills, but [color=#000080]he never asked for them or examined them[/color]. He just examined my work permit, passport, etc., and stamped the back of my ARC.[/quote] [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 51#p776551](Are leases absolutely needed to apply for ARCs? - #13 by Charlie_Jack

My precious goofing-off time has been taking a serious hit lately. I’ve had to cut it down to about fourteen hours a day. I blame y’all.