Do we still have to marry overseas?

In the latest postings Mr. H says that the ROC authorities now recognize local marriages…does this mean a foreign male can marry a Taiwanese woman in Taiwan and the marriage is legal (in other words, we don’t have to be married in the foreigner’s country to be considered married?)???
I have put off the trip back for the legal marriage for two years and due to this have been unable to apply for an OWP. If I get the single cert. from AIT, marry in Taiwan, get her household reg. take my ARC (I’ve been here six years with an ARC), can I apply for an APRC and thus receive the OWP by default? If not, what else would I need?
Thanks for any help,
w

As far as I know, marriages done in Taiwan according to the law are valid, even if one partner is a foreign national.

What country are you from?

Brian

so, with this can we then apply for the joining family arc or do we have to go back to the foreigner’s country to do the legal marriage?

You can do everything in Taiwan. I just went through the whole process a few months ago, from start to finish. First step is to obtain your criminal record clearance, which is not necessary for marriage, but is necessary for a Joining Family Resident Visa ARC. If you’re from Canada, that alone takes over three months.

Maoman, why did it take you 3 months to get your criminal (or lack of) record)? If I remember correctly, it only took a week or so for mine.

It depends what country you’re from.

brian

I am in need of some help, so anyone with some information, no matter how relevant, would be appreciated. I am moving to Taiwan (Kaohsiung) an November of 2003, to meet up with my Fiance. She is working legally with a R.O.C regonized organization, and has a valid A.R.C. I will be entering the country with a visitor’s visa, but I plan to stay with her until her contract with this company is fulfilled. Which is where my problem lies, I do not have enough educational documentation to convice the R.O.C to extend my visa. My fiance came up with this solution and we require some insite if anyone has any; She has mentioned that we should get married in Taiwan (we are both Canadian citizens), and apply for a spousal ARC, is there such a thing? Will the R.O.C reconize this, and allow me to stay in the country as long as her contract or as long as she does?Or has anyone got any ideas as to how to keep me in the country.
Thanks to all for you help

Your fiancee’s idea is good. It will work. You will be able to stay as long as her ARC is valid. I believe that you will need to get an affadavit at the Canadian Trade office stating that you are both single, and thus eligible to be married, and you will need to get this affadavit translated and endorsed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but apart from this I see no difficulties.

Awesome, That info is very helpful, Maoman. Maybe someone can answer me one more question.
We are wanting to get married in Taiwan, so I can stay over there legally, but we still want to have our “Wedding” in Canada. Does anyone know if Canada reconizes that marriage, and the will Canadian government consider us alreay a married couple. I will probably have to contact the Canadian Government to get more info, but any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rick.

Maybe you can renew your vows back home or something. It’s almost as good as a real wedding, you can still have a cermony in a church and a reception and everything.

As i understand it, getting married in the foreign country is advisable not because of Taiwan’s laws, but because it’s then easier for the Taiwanese to get a visa to visit the inlaws overseas.

I’ve heard several stories from a few Yanquis here who claim that getting a visa for the U.S. became much more difficult once they got married to their wives. Isn’t this why H tells people to get married in the foreign country, instead of here?

Is the above wrong? right? i’m curious, b/c i’m about to get married too.

jimmypop wrote[quote]As I understand it, getting married in the foreign country is advisable not because of Taiwan’s laws, but because it’s then easier for the Taiwanese to get a visa to visit the inlaws overseas. [/quote]Certainly not the case in Australia yet I cannot vouch for any other country.

jimmypop wrote[quote]I’ve heard several stories from a few Yanquis here who claim that getting a visa for the U.S. became much more difficult once they got married to their wives. Isn’t this why H tells people to get married in the foreign country, instead of here?[/quote]I think H used to say this, but it’s now common knowledge that it doesn’t make an iota of difference, this is acknowledged numerous times throughout the more recent threads.