Do You Find Being Called 'Dude' Annoying?

Would it make any difference if it was a cowboy who called you “dude”?

I mean, I think he’d be using the word correctly.

See what The Dude has to say

Hey Betty,

Check these sites out:

theawayteam.com/islavista.html

members.cox.net/srice1/islavist.htm

Best place in the world to be on Halloween:

40zone.com/gallery/halloween?&page=1

40zone.com/gallery/halloween03?&page=3

All those cowboys patrolling the streets of of Taiwan. :unamused:

I simply tell them, I’m not dude…call me ax…
damn, that word’s supposed to be eradicated…

ax

Dude. Rock on, dude.

reminds me of that jeff bridges movie where he insists everyone call him not by his given name, but “the Dude.”

[quote=“Jack Burton”]Dude. Rock on, dude.

reminds me of that jeff bridges movie where he insists everyone call him not by his given name, but “the Dude.”[/quote]

It’s like I’ve saying all along…life originated in Southern California.

Maybe, but it certainly hasn’t evolved much. :raspberry:

Hah! You guys should think yourselves lucky. Several years ago I developed for some reason the habit of addressing both men and women as “man,” a habit I’ve never been able to shake. I HATE it!

Dikes on Bikes love being called ‘man’ don’t they?

dude is in no way derogatory. a common usage is as an interjection. like in “dude, that blows.” or in keanu’s case, just a plain “dude…” when not used as an interjection, it’s used in the 2nd person. i.e. “dude, what happened to your car?”

nobody really ever uses dudette, and for the most part, dude is used by males amongst males.

man and dude have the same usage patterns. :slight_smile:

ps: homer simpson doesn’t say “dude”, he’s too old. and bart prefers “man”.

Be patient , in another 56 years it will be the 60’s again.

dude - 1883, “fastidious man,” New York City slang of unknown origin. The vogue word of 1883, originally used in ref. to the devotees of the “aesthetic” craze, later applied to city slickers, especially Easterners vacationing in the West (dude ranch first recorded 1921). Surfer slang application to any male is first recorded c.1970. Female form dudine (1883) has precedence over dudess (1885).

From etymology onlinehttp://www.etymonline.com/d6etym.htm

I don’t mind dude at all, duuuuuuuuude.

Cool, gotta blow, man. (Does that line look as strange to you as it does to me?)

It’s better than being called a schnook, trust me.

You’re right Fluffy. From the energy and pizzazz of the avatar to the rapier wit and biting sarcasm of the message, the one below is better in every respect.

Maaan.

:bluemad:

:fume:

I don’t mind dude, but I am from the States. I still can’t get used to mate, bloke and cheers.

Where I used to work, it wasn’t dude, bloke or even mate, it was cunt.

See that cunt over there? He’s a real cunt. What that cunt over there? No he’s a good cunt, the cunt next to him.

Brian