Do you go camping in Taiwan?

The spot mentioned above. I have booked Cloud 9 for this weekend by the way.

Are you taking the little lad with you? Will you be there on Saturday morning?

Well, yes and no.

Yes I will be there saturday morning.

My son hated camping over the new year. He wanted to go home to his bed every evening. Therefore, my wife will come every morning, stay there during the day, and then return home with him every evening. If you want to, I can ask her to make sure that he is there early saturday.

I’m planning to take my wife and baby daughter over there on Saturday morning, and it looks like MM might arrange a Hiking Club hike starting from there, so we could have a bit of a get-together in the making (plum rains permitting).

Perhaps Mingshah will also put in an appearance with his lad?

thanks Muzha Man.

BTW how did you arrange your permit to Beidawu Shan? I don’t think I saw it on your blog.[/quote]

It’s there, at the bottom. You just apply for a local police permit in the last village on the way up. No need for advanced permits.

Not sure if I saw any Taian (in Miaoli County) campgrounds on your blog. The one on the bluff above Tenglong Hot Springs is extremely scenic.[/quote]

Oh… no climbing permits?? I read in some local blog that they have to.

Is this the place tenglong.com.tw ? I have this in draft under Miaoli County
Hm… 7 more counties in draft to finish. Hope to complete by next week.

Definitely no climbing permits other than the local police permits. It’s one of the things that make this such a great hike.

Yes, that’s Tenglong, and they have their own campsite as well, but the one I mentioned is above Tenglong and is run by different people.

Mr He, to get here, drive to Taian and cross the bridge into Tenglong, when the road starts to swing round follow the narrow road to the right going up (it runs on the left side of the small stream that feeds into the main river.

Follow the road up about 1km to the campground. Can’t miss it. These are MJB’s pics:

Also, do drive to the end of County Rd 62 and walk into the reserve area. Head up to bank of the river 1km or so to this lovely swiming hole:

There are many more in the area.

For hot springs, I really like the hourly rooms at Cedarwood Village, near the end of 62. Great views, and large grounds so its peaceful and quiet:

Christ… I been tempted by Mucha Man!!

That is a sweet place! I would love to put my tent beside the blue river but you said I would need to walk 1Km. Is the track bike friendly to the swim hole?

Does Cedarwood Village have campground too?

[quote=“scx”]Christ… I been tempted by Muzha Man!!

That is a sweet place! I would love to put my tent beside the blue river but you said I would need to walk 1Km. Is the track bike friendly to the swim hole?

Does Cedarwood Village have campground too?[/quote]

Cedarwood does not. The swimming hole by the river is easily reached though by a path along the bank. You could’t ride a bike along it all, though. In any case, you could ride to the end of the forestry dirt road, then walk up. I think you could do it in 30 minutes. Lots of ground to set up a tent along the banks.

But there are also some really big swimming holes by the campground above tenglong.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“scx”]Christ… I been tempted by Muzha Man!!

Does Cedarwood Village have campground too?[/quote]

Cedarwood does not. The swimming hole by the river is easily reached though by a path along the bank. You could’t ride a bike along it all, though. In any case, you could ride to the end of the forestry dirt road, then walk up. I think you could do it in 30 minutes. Lots of ground to set up a tent along the banks.

But there are also some really big swimming holes by the campground above tenglong.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I might add this waypoint when I head up to Hsinchu for bike camping.

[quote=“Mr He”]Well, yes and no.

Yes I will be there saturday morning.

My son hated camping over the new year. He wanted to go home to his bed every evening. Therefore, my wife will come every morning, stay there during the day, and then return home with him every evening. If you want to, I can ask her to make sure that he is there early saturday.[/quote]

Mr He,

In case you haven’t seen the latest posts in The Hiking Thread, we’ve now changed the day of the meeting at Cloud 9 from Saturday to Sunday. I do hope we’ll still be able to see you and your family there.

We should be there Sunday Morning.

Mr He, I have heard that the cloud 9 owners are doing a lot of river tracing in Nan’ao these days. If you see them around can you ask them about it? Cheers. I am planning to do the North River trace again this August and also a 3 day trip up to the geysers.

[quote=“housecat”]I like to camp sometimes, but for ten years in Taiwan I could not find anyone willing to camp with me. My ex and all his family thought it was some strange foreigner thing that they didn’t want to try. My ex would not even TOUCH a natural body of water (not just in Taiwan, anywhere! The only time he did was on our honey moon in Thailand where it took me more than an hour to get him two feet into the sea–and never again). Other Taiwanese friends were more gracious, but still drew the line at sleeping out of doors.

Once you get to Taiwan, you’ll understand more about how the Taiwanese reguard nature.

But you can likely make more western friends to camp with, and camping things can be purchased locally.[/quote]

It’s funny when you mentioned this. GUys here need to server their military service and they were all bunch of pussies when come to outdoor activitiies. But once their are in the army, they get buffed up (well, not as much as what they used to be 20 years ago) and their momies were so proud of their sons that they’re in the army (just like my cousine). Then when they are out of the army, they become a pussy again or, hang around the street restaurant drinking, smoking wasting time. So i point is, military service did not help your Ex or your partner any good in the nature environment.

Taiwanese people are bunch of pussies.

I’ll be delighted to go camping (in hardcord style).