Do you guys need anything?

Whoops, too late. All of the above is already in Taipei.

I’m a bit concerned about Maoman not responding to my PMs. He seems like an upstanding citizen, but I would hate to chew through all that gum myself.

:laughing: Don’t worry, many of us know each other IRL; you’ll be able to pass that on to him via one of us if you can’t reach him. So when will you be at Carnegies or another nice spot like an Alleycat’s? We’re always up for an excuse to eat good food. :smiley:

:laughing: Don’t worry, many of us know each other IRL; you’ll be able to pass that on to him via one of us if you can’t reach him. So when will you be at Carnegies or another nice spot like an Alleycat’s? We’re always up for an excuse to eat good food. :smiley:[/quote]

Carnegie’s probably on Wednesday evening; wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I’ll be a happy drunk for a change and party the night away.

:laughing: Don’t worry, many of us know each other IRL; you’ll be able to pass that on to him via one of us if you can’t reach him. So when will you be at Carnegies or another nice spot like an Alleycat’s? We’re always up for an excuse to eat good food. :smiley:[/quote]

Carnegie’s probably on Wednesday evening; wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I’ll be a happy drunk for a change and party the night away.[/quote]

Just sent you a PM - sorry to keep you on your toes!

[quote=“jimipresley”]Gum and candy are ok, but don’t bring foodstuffs in. They have sniffer dogs like rats over that airport at the moment. [color=#FF0000]I saw a mainlander get smacked with a baton for smuggling in two apples.[/color] Food for thought.
Oh, and you could probably get into trouble for heroin too.[/quote]
You misunderstood. It wasn’t about the apples. :smiling_imp:

When I first came to Taiwan I brought a huge bag of biltong (Beef jerky) with me. It was wrapped in a brown paper and I didn’t want to take any chances (not keen on cavity searches etc…), so when I went through customs I declared it to the guy. He was so impressed that I was “honest” about bringing food in that he let me take it through.
Kept the homesickness at bay for a few days.

Whoops, too late. All of the above is already in Taipei.[/quote]
Damn! So it’s too late to ask you to bring the future Mrs. Bismarck with you…

To make a long story short: the exchange happened at Carnegie’s on Thursday before last, on the evening when there was a power loss, followed by a quick response by the management and a bit of Hawaiian hula dancing later on.

I met DragonBones, a very intellectual fellow with whom I’d probably have many more conversations if I was a more permanent resident of the beautiful Formosa (a redundant tautology to be sure). In no time at all, he taught me a whole lot about his current passion: the science of baking Italian breads, and a whole lot more about the current affairs.
Apparently, I was asking a lot of the “typical” newbie questions like the difference between Mandarin and Taiwanese. I guess it’s more time consuming to answer these IRL, where you can’t just refer to a URL of an old Forumosa thread.

He graciously introduced me to a few locals, including a scuba enthusiast who’s been on the island for even longer than DBones. I was blown away to learn that the whole AnHe Rd neighborhood, today all steel, glass and reinforced concrete, was just a garden patch not too long ago, with goats etc. This got me majorly interested in the Taiwan Miracle, and I’m currently looking for a good book on the subject.

Then, I met Maoman, who seems like a go-getter type. We spoke a little bit of shrinking economies and the business climate in Taiwan, a little bit about politics. I asked if there’s any discernible air of mainland Chinese influence – and am still curious to hear any thoughts on the subject.

In the end, it was good to meet some of the alpha Forumosans in the flesh. But, ultimately, I was just a passer-by, unless my job necessitates my return. I might be able to import more stuff on my next trip, but meanwhile, I am happy knowing I was able to do a few small long-distance favors for some good people.

I was actually very impressed with Taipei and can totally see why 20-somethings from Western countries may choose to stay there. On the other hand, I am aware that in my short time here I have probably only seen the pretty veneer, and there’s probably a lot more under the surface that’s as big and hairy as a cockroach I’ve seen near the Shida night market one night.

TAiwan really is best for 20 something westerners as a first time entry. Its harder to stomach if your first time was in your 30s or 40s as you would be more set in your own ways, which Taiwan will for sure set off.

It was great to meet you, fo_fo, and I hope the rest of your trip went well! Thanks again for your kind offer to bring things for us, as well! :notworthy: The scuba diver you met was MJB, also a mod here in Open.

[quote=“fo_fo”]To make a long story short: the exchange happened at Carnegie’s on Thursday before last, on the evening when there was a power loss, followed by a quick response by the management and a bit of Hawaiian hula dancing later on.

I met DragonBones, a very intellectual fellow with whom I’d probably have many more conversations if I was a more permanent resident of the beautiful Formosa (a redundant tautology to be sure). In no time at all, he taught me a whole lot about his current passion: the science of baking Italian breads, and a whole lot more about the current affairs.
Apparently, I was asking a lot of the “typical” newbie questions like the difference between Mandarin and Taiwanese. I guess it’s more time consuming to answer these IRL, where you can’t just refer to a URL of an old Forumosa thread.

He graciously introduced me to a few locals, including a scuba enthusiast who’s been on the island for even longer than DBones. I was blown away to learn that the whole AnHe Rd neighborhood, today all steel, glass and reinforced concrete, was just a garden patch not too long ago, with goats etc. This got me majorly interested in the Taiwan Miracle, and I’m currently looking for a good book on the subject.

Then, I met Maoman, who seems like a go-getter type. We spoke a little bit of shrinking economies and the business climate in Taiwan, a little bit about politics. I asked if there’s any discernible air of mainland Chinese influence – and am still curious to hear any thoughts on the subject.

In the end, it was good to meet some of the alpha Forumosans in the flesh. But, ultimately, I was just a passer-by, unless my job necessitates my return. I might be able to import more stuff on my next trip, but meanwhile, I am happy knowing I was able to do a few small long-distance favors for some good people.

I was actually very impressed with Taipei and can totally see why 20-somethings from Western countries may choose to stay there. On the other hand, I am aware that in my short time here I have probably only seen the pretty veneer, and there’s probably a lot more under the surface that’s as big and hairy as a cockroach I’ve seen near the Shi-Da night market one night.[/quote]

Me and some of the boys are taking up a collection; how much would you want to come to every HH and occupy DB and MM so we don’t have to talk to them???