Do you have a work permit? TV wants to know

If one of those reporters came pestering me with inane or offensive questions like that, I’d turn the tables on her (it’s nearly always a her, as they’re more likely to meet with a civil response – a guy would run too much risk of getting punched in the face) by politely taking over the mike and firing back my own stream of questions in a like vein, such as “Have you ever lived in the U.S.? Did you work/study there? Did you have a work/student visa? How did you feel about taking a job/college place that belonged to an American? Did you play around with the local guys? etc. etc.” That could be a lot of fun – especially if they dared to air it.

I would kill to see something like that on TV. However, I’ll buy beersto everybody posting in this thread the day, I actually see a foreigner doing that on TV.

[quote]Teh funny thing is that my inlaws don’t seem surprised to the fact that we keep close contact to my family.
[/quote]

Yes, but your inlaws probably think you’re not really like a foreigtner at all. You’re more like Chinese, right?

Brian

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”][quote]Teh funny thing is that my inlaws don’t seem surprised to the fact that we keep close contact to my family.
[/quote]

Yes, but your inlaws probably think you’re not really like a foreigtner at all. You’re more like Chinese, right?

Brian[/quote]

Thanks Brian, I got the biggest laugh out of that that I got in a long time. My in-laws would think of me as something akin to a leper if I didn’t keep in contact with my family. As for thinking I’m Chinese… HA HA HA, you’re killing me man.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]Yes, but your inlaws probably think you’re not really like a foreigtner at all. You’re more like Chinese, right?

Brian[/quote]

Not really. They extempt me froma lot of chinese cultural/religious things.

Jeff, you have GOT to stop drinking whiskey shots during the daytime. Perhaps you are suffering from the dreaded “Mandarinized English” malaise that afflicts all of us Mandarin-speaking gringos from time to time? :slight_smile:

Yep, they sure know an awful lot about us non-Taiwanese people, those reporters.

The most ridiculous aspect of all of this media fascination with foreigners is the attempt to lump all non-Taiwanese people into one group. While I’m very fond of my friends from Nigeria, Germany, Canada, and Japan, I don’t have much in common with them. Where we share tastes and though processes, it isn’t due to our shared status as waiguoren.

I also don’t think I’m particularly special because I’m a waiguoren.