Do you know people who don't know TV isn't real?

My roommate. Every time she sees the Taiwan Beer commercial she starts in on me about drinking. I don’t drink. And I tell her (at least 20 times now) that I am drinking water. And she gets on about me lying to all the poor people who watch that commercial.
This occurs commonly and might explain why I rarely leave me room when she is home.
Some stupid Alicia Silverman movie with Marky Mark was on. The beloved roommate looks at Alicia’s father and says “Is that the guy from CSI?” (Grissom) I tell her it is and she asks “I didn’t know he had kids”
I, of course, retreat to my room.
This isn’t very surprising to anyone who has met my roommate… we are talking about the girl who thought I was reading a self help book when I was reading Machavelli’s The Prince because when she asked what it was about, I said “Power”. But I honestly thought that no one over the age of 4 knew TV was fake.
Upon the other reasons why I am so confused as to how she has remained so ignorant of the concept is that she has been on TV many times as a pop star here and has done three soap operas.
But alas! Still, when the Vitali commercial comes on with the stereotyped black man, she says how lucky they were to find a guy wearing that kind of outfit in Taiwan.
Please someone tell me I am not alone in my troubles. Tell me you know of someone as clouded as this. Or at least explain to me how this can occur with a 25 year old Mando-pop star from Chicago.

It sounds to me that contrary to your view, she has in fact, got a great sense of humour. Regardless of whether she is being serious or not, where can I find a room mate with that kind of entertainment value?

You can have her. I am desperately seeking a new place.

There’s a very very simple explanation. Not one that I can give without offending Mandopop stars, people in their 20s or Americans, though. :wink:

My dear old Granny, rest her soul, used to confuse me and my sisters and cousins with characters from her soap operas all the time, though. We found it endearing and never let on.

Stan Ogden, don’t you start with yer anti-Mandopop complainin again. Tha’s winders needs doin!

Precisely. Who was the baldy-headed hardman villain in Eastenders? She was terribly concerned about my safety when I told her I’d bought a car off him. Phoned my mother to warn her and everything. With hindsight I was a pretty nasty grandkid I suppose.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Some stupid Alicia Silverman movie with Marky Mark was on. The beloved roommate looks at Alicia’s father and says “Is that the guy from CSI?” (Grissom) I tell her it is and she asks “I didn’t know he had kids”
I, of course, retreat to my room. [/quote]

That’s Reese Witherspoon, not Alicia Silverstone. That movie, Fear, has got a great mid-90s soundtrack, full of a bunch of mediocre artists who I thought were awesome when I was 15.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]My roommate. Every time she sees the Taiwan Beer commercial she starts in on me about drinking. I don’t drink. And I tell her (at least 20 times now) that I am drinking water. And she gets on about me lying to all the poor people who watch that commercial.
This occurs commonly and might explain why I rarely leave me room when she is home.
Some stupid Alicia Silverman movie with Marky Mark was on. The beloved roommate looks at Alicia’s father and says “Is that the guy from CSI?” (Grissom) I tell her it is and she asks “I didn’t know he had kids”
I, of course, retreat to my room. [/quote]Maybe she doesn’t like you and is ‘dumb like a fox’. :idunno:

:astonished: TV’s not real??? WTF? Sooooo, what you’re saying is, there isn’t really a Captain Jean Luc Picard and a Starship Enterprise?? :fume:

I know people who think forumosa.com is real.

And the bad news just keeps a comin’…

As long as no one figured out that I am really a sweaty version of The Simpson’s Comic Book Man we are all good.

I’m sorry, but I have to protest. The image of SuchAFob all sweaty is simply too much for the Forumosa censors to allow, in the name of decency!

Currently I’m picking crusty dried snot off my chest. Will the censors allow that?

Is it yours?

Yeah. The man gave me the flu as a birthday present. I am a snot making machine. I can churn out 10 times my body weight of the stuff per hour.

Mental note: don’t shake hands with SAF.

Poor old Fobby, I think you’ve been had.

I think your roommate has a similar problem to one an old boyfriend in Korea had - he too seemed to think that movies were showing the real lives of the actors - but only with foreign movies. He was not this idiotic or naive with Korean movies. I’m guessing he and your roommate are thrown off by the fact that the movies or TV shows or ads are showing white people (or black people) speaking English.

Hmm… But I see at the end of your post that the girl is from Chicago. OK, I have no explanation. Maybe she’s just stupid.

There are not words…