Do You Know This Guy?

You meet them on the street, at bus stops and pretty much everywhere else. These are the guys they feel the need to extol their Taiwanese knowledge to any foreigner within an earshot. These people can tell you “how it is” in every Taiwanese situation and what “they” are thinking. In a nutshell they have become Taiwanese Jedi’s with only knowing 10 Chinese words or less and experiences limited to Carnegies and the Brass Monkey. You’re suspicious at first when he tells you he’s been living at the hostel for the past 6 months and is a professional model while teaching English on the side but when you hear him nail “mai dan”, “yi dian dian” and knows the bartenders name is Angel you know you found the right man to show you the way. I salute you Mr. Taiwanese Jedi Master and look forward to our next meeting. :beer:

Do you ever write any posts that don’t contain the words “English teacher” or “teaching English”?

I haven’t met such a person yet. Ralphy, you sure do seem to meet some right doozies. Ever thought that maybe it’s you that’s attracting them? Like attracted to like and all that? I mean, you sure seem to manage to pigeonhole people very accurately with your Jedi-like insight into the foreign psyche. :laughing:

Most foreigners avoid even smiling at other foreigners on the street let alone chatting with them.

Mucha Man wrote:

Very true words, mate

The only foreigners smiling at me are the ones looking at my paunch and thin legs as I struggle on the treadmill. :s

[quote=“stan”]Muzha Man wrote:

Very true words, mate

The only foreigners smiling at me are the ones looking at my paunch and thin legs as I struggle on the treadmill. :s[/quote]

so thats YOU! :slight_smile:

This is so true!

I stayed in Wu Qi, Taichung for the better part of 2 months in 2003 and for weeks on end I would not see another white face. Usually when I did see another whitey, I would desperately try to make eye contact or maybe even gasp have a conversation about their experiences in Taiwan.

Nope… no chance…

I noticed that they would either change direction, ‘look busy’ or just stare straight through me. Mixed in was even some irritation at times… Perhaps I was intruding on their own personal asian adventure and it was ruining their experience… or something.

So Im hoping some of you guys will at least share a drink/meal and give me some insider tips on living in Taiwan :wink:

Knowing my luck, I will probably get accosted by one of the prats described in the OP. Any suggestions for getting rid of people like that?

This is so true!

I stayed in Wu Qi, Taichung for the better part of 2 months in 2003 and for weeks on end I would not see another white face. Usually when I did see another whitey, I would desperately try to make eye contact or maybe even gasp have a conversation about their experiences in Taiwan.

Nope… no chance…

I noticed that they would either change direction, ‘look busy’ or just stare straight through me. Mixed in was even some irritation at times… Perhaps I was intruding on their own personal asian adventure and it was ruining their experience… or something.

So Im hoping some of you guys will at least share a drink/meal and give me some insider tips on living in Taiwan :wink:

Knowing my luck, I will probably get accosted by one of the prats described in the OP. Any suggestions for getting rid of people like that?[/quote]
You probably ran into me. My in-laws live in Wuqi and I’m occasionally forced to spend small amounts of time there. I don’t remember ever seeing a white face there but if I did I’d almost certainly avoid it, as it would have to belong to some kind of weirdo – no-one else would live in Wuqi. Would they? :astonished: :wink:

Depends when it is. If you see some bad tempered white girl stomping along with a triple espresso, emitting poisonous hate vibes near 101, it’ll be me on my way to work. I’m an equal opportunities hater. Any race can get the fuck out of my way.

But at other times, I’m lovely.

All I ever do is give Whitey a nod - I don’t even expect them to talk to me - and they still look at me like I just killed thier pet dog. Sheesh.

Whitey in HKG is a bit more normal, though you rarely see them outside of thier natural habitat of Hong Kong Island.

I’ve just never been in to that ‘You’re white! Oh my god - so am I!’ thing.

Brits tend not to greet strangers in the street as much as some other folks, methinks.

It’s bad enough having the Taiwanese pointing at us and shouting “meiguo ren!” like some twisted version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers without fellow foreigners dragging me out of my “I’m an everyday guy just going about his business routine” too.

If I see someone looking lost or having trouble I’ll go over and help them out, but I’m not going to high-five everyone just because we have the same coloured skin.

other side of the coin…ever notice how taiwanese will point you in the direction of big-noses in the vicinity with the comment; “look your friend…why don’t you go and talk to him/her?”

You know, I used to say hello or smile or acknowlegde someone who made eye contact with me back home in the UK. Sometimes I would stop and chat about little things, especially on the bus or train or when walking the dog - to total strangers. Sometimes total strangers would acknowledge me and I’d smileor nod back.

In Taiwan, most foreigners stare at the floor, cross the road, run away or tunnel underground rather than acknowledge a stranger. The feeling here is very, very strange.
Bar a select few people, foreigners here are the strangest bunch of people I have ever met in any part of the word. They are also the most uptight, arrogant and damn right rudest I have ever come across, in general.

Did Taiwan make them like this?

[quote=“Dangermouse”]
Did Taiwan make them like this?[/quote]

Too much MSG.

I HATE that! If I want to be by myself, I want to be by myself. The last thing I want is to huddle over to a group of strangers I don’t even know just because they are big-noses like me. Why do Taiwanese assume that all white people must be friends with each other? We all gather at monthly meetings and exchange secret handshakes.

My wife thinks that all Americans know each other.
She also thinks, for some unknown reason, that I know the intimate details about all Hollywood and TV actors and actresses. She is genuinely surprised that I not only do not know these details but that I could not possibly care less about learning them.

As for the other part, I try to always extend a smile and a “Hello” to other 'foreigners I see. Doesn’t hurt and I’ve met a few good folks along the way.
Ran into a few shaved head rude ones also, of course. No loss there as I see it.

Did to me. When I first got here, I didn’t want to talk to any bitter and jaded foreigners that might burst my optimistic bubble. Now it’s the opposite.

Me too. I always try to catch and eye and greet. I’m always interested in networking with others, can learn a lot. But foreigners are very territorial…

[quote=“Dangermouse”]In Taiwan, most foreigners stare at the floor, cross the road, run away or tunnel underground rather than acknowledge a stranger. The feeling here is very, very strange.
Bar a select few people, foreigners here are the strangest bunch of people I have ever met in any part of the word. They are also the most uptight, arrogant and damn right rudest I have ever come across, in general.

Did Taiwan make them like this?[/quote]

Obviously most foreigners are up to no good and doing something illegal here :unamused:

That is why we try to keep our distance, anonimity is worth its weight in gold. :laughing: