Do you like Taiwan?

[quote=“sjcma”][quote=“Chris”]Question 4 (transportation) leaves out MRT and City Bus…my usual forms of transportation.

And what the hell does “The traditional original resident lives the experience” mean? It sounds machine translated.[/quote]
Traditional Aboriginal experience, of course. Yuan2 (original), zhu4 (lives), min2 (resident).[/quote]

Ah. Makes sense now. In a “Brazil the carbon burn a meat” meaning “churrasco” kind of way.

As for traditional Aboriginal experience, I trust this refers to Hoklos performing Aboriginal dances wearing day-glo polyester Aboriginal costumes to synthesizer- and drum-machine-accompanied Aboriginal music while an MC yammers on non-stop and urges audience participation.

[quote=“bv76106”]Thanks for your ask.
I’m sorry. One of my classmate translated it.
And It’s urgent.
I know that my English is also poor,I will study harder.
Thank you very much!!! :notworthy:[/quote]
Why is it urgent? The government is not developing Sun Moon Lake for Western tourists. It’s PURELY for Chinese. It has NOTHING to do with Western tourists. Why do you care what we think? The government doesn’t care–neither the central government nor the Nantou government.
Sun Moon Lake was destroyed years ago, as far as most Western people are concerned.
Its not urgent AT ALL! You should in fact be asking your professor “WHY are you making us do this? You are WASTING our time. This is NOT why we pay you, you bloody idiot.”

[quote=“Chris”]
As for traditional Aboriginal experience, I trust this refers to Hoklos performing Aboriginal dances wearing day-glo polyester Aboriginal costumes to synthesizer- and drum-machine-accompanied Aboriginal music while an MC yammers on non-stop and urges audience participation.[/quote]

Yeah, sort of like what the do in Hawaii.

Anyway, the lkae is hardly “ruined”. I’ve been here for for 15 years, and I say it’s better now than it’s ever been.

Seems more like BabelFish translated it.

Seems more like BabelFish translated it.[/quote]

At least nude camp got translated properly.

churrasco – Baxi tan shao rou :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry.I don’t want to waste your time. :frowning:
That’s a homework,a homework to practice.
I’m so sorry.If you feel angry,I 'm sorry. :frowning:
We just want to know that what the foreigner like.

[quote=“bv76106”]Thanks for your ask.
I’m sorry. One of my classmate translated it.
And It’s urgent.
I know that my English is also poor,I will study harder.
Thank you very much!!! :notworthy:[/quote]

We understand your urgency, but why don’t you set a day or two aside and get a native speaker to help you with the English.

I’m quite everyone on this forum would be glad to help you once we understand your questions and instructions.

[quote=“bv76106”]I’m so sorry.I don’t want to waste your time. :frowning:
We just want to know that what the foreigner like.[/quote]

That’s OK. (By the way, I’m not angry.)

It’s just that accurate communication is important in a survey: in order to give accurate answers, we need to understand the questions. It should be easy to find a native speaker of English at your university to check the readability and usability of the survey.

A suggestion: the last item in the survey should be a request for “Comments”.

Then there should be an indication of which button needs to be clicked to submit the survey (the two buttons are in Chinese).

If you want my help in fixing it, please PM me.

First of all you’re not wasting anyone’s time here. Anyone who visits this board on a regular Tuesday morning has way too much time at his/her disposal anyway. I don’t think anyone is angry either.

What foreigners like? They mostly like to have the good places all to themselves. They don’t like other tourists, and they only like locals if they are young, pretty/handsome and well behaved. :smiley:

Thank you.
My classmate asked the 地球村 teacher.
But the teacher rejected him. :frowning:
I’m so sorry that make you unhappy. :frowning:

[quote=“bv76106”]Thank you.
I’m so sorry that make you unhappy. :frowning:[/quote]

bv76106,

Please stop apologising and do something about the situation. We have all given you more or less the same advice: get the English checked and we’ll be happy to answer your questions. It’s now up to you to follow that advice.

In the meantime I’ll summarise the findings of your questionnaire:

1. An overwhelming majority of foreign respendents were strongly opposed to any (further) development of Sun Moon Lake and its surroundings.
  2. A large number of foreign repondents indicated that they were in favour of the proposed ‘nude camp’.

[quote="Anubis]
…get the English checked…
…of foreign respendents…
…repondents indicated…[/quote]

:discodance:

Tanned girls with…No…Bars with poles and great…Erm…No…erm…nudist beaches! Yeah!

Don’t you think it’s strange that you’re asking people about Taiwan’s biggest lake, and yet none of the activities take place on the lake? I’d like to go swimming and canoe around a clean lake. I hate karaoke and loud music and would leave the second I heard anything like that.

Let’s face it, the Chinese idea of a good vacation and the western idea of a good vacation are just too different.

Ping pong balls? :wink:

[quote=“hannes”]…get the English checked…
…of foreign respendents…
…repondents indicated.[[/quote]

Erm … finger trouble? :blush: :smiley:

[quote=“Anubis”][quote=“bv76106”]Thank you.
I’m so sorry that make you unhappy. :frowning:[/quote]

bv76106,

Please stop apologising and do something about the situation. We have all given you more or less the same advice: get the English checked and we’ll be happy to answer your questions. It’s now up to you to follow that advice.

In the meantime I’ll summarise the findings of your questionnaire:

1. An overwhelming majority of foreign respendents were strongly opposed to any (further) development of Sun Moon Lake and its surroundings.
  2. A large number of foreign repondents indicated that they were in favour of the proposed ‘nude camp’.[/quote]

They only really neaded to send one of us an email didn’t they?

Would the government perhaps be willing to provide the opossite or reverse from those choices mentioned?

To tear down stupid and pointless tourist attractions that provide nothing authentic (but the nudist beach). To ban all polluting public. To stop people from putting any more stupid ugly floating barges on Sun Moon Lake, to cap numbers of visitors, to increase holidays so that all Taiwanese don’t only have four weeks a year to visit everything at the same time as everyone else (the hotels would like that too).
And may I say that the government is a just a little bit stupid? The other day I was shooting a government tourism campaign ad in San Sha at a very nice temple. The government wants western tourists to come to Taiwan having seen the wonderful video of very white and pasty me looking like I’m enjoying myself on my recent trip to Taiwan.
Well the first question I asked the people responsible for the ad was how do foreigners get here once they have landed and presumably found accommodation. Nobody knew!
The next question I had for the curator of the very beautiful and perhaps only traditionally hand crafted temple I have seen here yet was “how does the government support your preservation of the site”, and he told me “They don’t!” So let me get this right. Taiwan’s government doesn’t particularly care to protect Taiwan’s national heritage sites, but creates laws to stop people from remodeling their traditional homes as it will destroy national heritage. They promote Taiwan’s best attractions without supporting them, and at the same time, they don’t tell anyone how to visit them. They still have ticket machines in Taipei main station that are covered in Chinese characters, there are practically no tourist information offices and people still think the place is is called Thailand.
Hmmm. :doh:

I don’t think all the bling, bling, flash, flash, ding dong machines scattered around every public attraction are going to save Taiwan’s tourism industry alone.

Yes, it reminds me of a “study” I read just the other day claiming that ‘delicious food’ is the main reason why foreigners visit Taiwan. :loco:

The same “study” also mentioned that the government is now in the process of developing ‘wedding tourism’, i.e. encouraging foreign couples to get married in Taiwan and to combine the wedding with a sight-seeing tour. This, they believe, would ‘boost the economy’. :noway:

[quote=“Anubis”]Yes, it reminds me of a “study” I read just the other day claiming that ‘delicious food’ is the main reason why foreigners visit Taiwan. :loco:

The same “study” also mentioned that the government is now in the process of developing ‘wedding tourism’, i.e. encouraging foreign couples to get married in Taiwan and to combine the wedding with a sight-seeing tour. This, they believe, would ‘boost the economy’. :noway:[/quote]

You forgot medical tourism. Don’t get me wrong, I think the system in Taiwan is not bad. I just think if people have to pay money, the prices in Thailand or Singapore aren’t that much more. Might be hard competition.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Anubis”]Yes, it reminds me of a “study” I read just the other day claiming that ‘delicious food’ is the main reason why foreigners visit Taiwan. :loco:

The same “study” also mentioned that the government is now in the process of developing ‘wedding tourism’, i.e. encouraging foreign couples to get married in Taiwan and to combine the wedding with a sight-seeing tour. This, they believe, would ‘boost the economy’. :noway:[/quote]

You forgot medical tourism. Don’t get me wrong, I think the system in Taiwan is not bad. I just think if people have to pay money, the prices in Thailand or Singapore aren’t that much more. Might be hard competition.[/quote]

For those interested: healthtourisminasia.com/taiwant.html