Do You Need VISAS For "Visa Runs" (to Japan, China etc ..)

Hey Guys,

I just thought about this. I have my first visa run scheduled to Japan, Okinawa, but didn’t look at the VISA requirements.

I am also planning to go to Hong Kong, Shanghai for subsequent VISA runs.

I hold a French passport. Do I need to apply for tourist visas for all these places ?

Or is there a VISA waiver exemption in place for short stays ?

Please advise,

Thanks

-Delonge182

[ul][li]Okinawa: no visa required[/li]
[li]Hong Kong: no visa required[/li]
[li]Shanghai: visa required (Also, unless you have a multiple-entry visa for Taiwan, that would be a very poor choice as a destination for a visa run.)[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Okinawa: no visa required[/li]
[li]Hong Kong: no visa required[/li]
[li]Shanghai: visa required (Also, unless you have a multiple-entry visa for Taiwan, that would be a very poor choice as a destination for a visa run.)[/li][/ul][/quote]

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I do have a multi-entry tourist visa to Taiwan, but I guess you meant for China right ? Otherwise I don’t see why Shanghai is such a poor destination for Visa runs.

Do I need to say anything at the Port of Entry. Just that I’m on vacation ?

I do have a multi-entry tourist visa to Taiwan, but I guess you meant for China right ? Otherwise I don’t see why Shanghai is such a poor destination for Visa runs.[/quote]
Nope. I meant it the way I wrote it. The reason Shanghai – and anywhere else in China, other than HK or Macau – would be a poor choice for a visa run is that you can’t secure a visa there for Taiwan. You’d have to go someone else. But since you have a multiple-entry visa for Taiwan you don’t have to worry about that.

Just check the “tourism” box. No worries.