Do you read long posts thoroughly?

Flike, I wouldn’t want to be writing here in a second launguage then I suppose. My posts are filled with grammar and spelling mistakes. In no way does it imply that I don’t care and I seldom am in a hurry when posting here.

I don’t look at posting and reading posts as a litteracy excercise although it does serve that purpose. That’s just an addition to having the opportunity to interact with people from all over as well as locals.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a speed reader so long posts or short posts are pretty much the same.

I do skip the boring posts, though. I also skip over posts from two posters as they have nothing that I want to hear. It isn’t so much the length of the posts as it is what are they about and who wrote them.

[quote=“flike”]Depends on the poster, frankly. If the post looks poorly organized or begins with a spelling or grammar mistake, then no. Why should I care if the writer doesn’t? :shrug:

Some posters though, imo, merit careful reading.

BTW, I never vote in poorly constructed polls here. (I don’t read Cosmopolitan, either, so that kind of marketing doesn’t work much on me)[/quote]

Why should a post be without spelling mistakes and with proper grammar?

Not everyone is a native english speaker!

Ok, non-English speakers excepted. Sometimes. What can I say, I’m only human. Original sin and all that.

Read carefully, please, the second sentence I wrote. What I meant to convey is that I read some posts no matter the quality.

I do this for a number of reasons, all of which are likely individual to me. For instance, I admire and respect anybody who owns their own profitable business, and that respect is doubled for those who do so in an alien environment like Taiwan.

I also like sports. If a Frenchman were to write about the Tour de France in the Sports forum I’d likely struggle through anything he wrote, spelling and grammar be damned. Same with sumo, soccer, music, economics, game theory, science, mathematics, finance, politics. Maybe movies, depends. Further, if any non-English speaker were to attempt the translation of a poem from his or her native language, I would probably sink a farking week or more into it. It’s a long list, believe me.

Like I said, it just depends. And life’s short, so please try to remember to spellcheck the words in your first sentence at least. First paragraph and I’m yours for at least two more.

Okay.

Your right flike. We all have a choice, I guess there is an internal check list we use when reading or skippng. Just a few for instance.

Does the topic pique my interest?
Looks organised or long and rambling.
I’m going into a coma reading this, move on.
This bastard deserves a good flaming but I’d get into problems with that so I should move on or work out a way to responding without attacking.
I know something about that, so I will write a reply.
I know nothing about that so I will write a reply.
I definitely know nothing about that so I will write a reply and see if I can get away with sounding like I do. (or google it but that takes the fun out)

I read 50% long interesting posts. If it’s by a poster who posts a paragraph when a simple “yes” or “no” would suffice, then I don’t read them. Same as people who give you an earful why they can’t make a meeting at 7. Simple yes or no. Must-talk people tend to be must-type-long post people too. Beware.

Everyone’s entitled to post whatever they want. It’s up to us as readers to filter them out.

Exactly. It’s a jip when you get to the end of a loong post and realize the person could have easily said the same thing, only more effectively, in a few sentences.

It’s also a bore to read the same person post the same opinion over and over.

If someone consistently does either of these things, or both of them at the same time, they will definitely start getting little more than a quick look from me.

One of these days I’ll get a notebook computer so I can read the long posts in the crapper.

No

See, I know we said 7 but when we agreed on that time, I didn’t know the washing machine was about to go on the fritz, so what with that and the mess and the soapy water everywhere, then the postman came but I didn’t hear the doorbell on account of the broken washing machine so he left one of those cards telling me there’s a parcel for me at the Post Office, so I had to go pick it up because it was perishable and then when I got back the washing machine repair guy was already waiting for me so I had to wait till he was finished but he didn’t have the right part so he had to go back for it. By the time he was done I needed to take a shower but what did I find? My favourite shirt was, that’s right, you guessed it, in the damn washing machine. So I had to find another one and then it started raining so I couldn’t get a taxi and I had to walk to the bus stop which took ages. Then we were supposed to meet at Dunhua and Nanjing, right? Only I forgot and went to Dunhua and Zhonghsiao instead and I was waiting for you outside Eslite for bloody ages until you called me and I realized my mistake.
So how about same time tomorrow?

Sandman, that was an eyeful. We need sound on this message board.

Huh?

Hmmm. The word “succient” isn’t in my vocabulary either. What does it mean? And what’s a “commette”? :laughing:[/quote]

Man forget it, I got the misspelling thing down to a T!! I am the Queen of it!! LOL

I only read posts by Richardm.

Everyone else is on my ignore list.