Do you think America will come to Taiwan’s aid if China attacks? Should it?

An article based on a hypothetical of a hypothetical. They really are running out of things to write about Taiwan and China.

5 Likes

That’s how we know we’re safe!

3 Likes

I do think it would become WW3 if China invades. There’s just too many players on the board that has their interests at risk if China takes the island. Many of them are in the region.

If the US and its Allies are willing to send billions to Ukraine that’s pretty much irrelevant, I think more would be done for Taiwan. Western europe would have probably gave Ukraine on a plate to Putin to avoid any issues and continue to get energy from russia. I don’t think the countries that would be most at risk of Taiwan falling to China are looking at the situation the same.

3 Likes

I disagree. Russia is a nuclear power on the wane. We haven’t had one Of those before. Best to tread softly and. Be careful. If they want to shore up their outer borders, OK, that’s what war is for.

I think Japan and Korea would be itching to hit China hard. Korea in particular.

1 Like

That would open the door to far more issues - do you really think Putin would stop with Ukraine? :joy:

Doubtful. They’re weak on so many fronts. They’ll rush off to jam a thumb in the next leak in the levee.

Well, sure, we know that now, but would we if there’d been no resistance? :face_with_monocle:

Some people did. It’s no secret. People wrote books about it.

1 Like

The challenge would be selling that fight tobthe American people, and getting the fringe elected officials in line. You’re not wrong, but presidents need to work with the house and senate and everyone needs to get reelected

If only there were some kind of legal convention he could recognize where he could hold them accountable in international court :thinking:

Not not worth considering, tho

Another thing that keeps us safe, since every one of those players except North Korea and Russia is threatened by unchecked Chinese aggression

How confident are you that the Taiwanese would be willing and able to hold off the Chinese both initially and possibly for years after? If Ukraine had quickly fallen, that might just have been it.

These kinds of hypotheticals are why such articles can be helpful, to remind policy makers that there is much groundwork to be done if a difference is going to be made.

That said, between the economic, demographic, and corruption stories coming out of China, it’s about time to update my previous prediction of “we’re fine to 2027, but let’s see how the election turns out” to “unless Russia invades Europe and Iran goes full our war, it just doesn’t seem possible”

Of those, without the US, I think only Japan matters.

Why’s that? It’ll hit their economy hard and expose them to North Korea, and they don’t exactly like or trust the Japanese.

There are softer targets than NATO, but we’ll see what happens there if Trump wins…

1 Like

It would be easier, and advantageous, for countries to stand by Taiwan officially BEFORE war rather than be little babies until its too late and need to sacrifice their own citizens to defend freedom. This has been true for decades, and remains true today. Few countries support Taiwan as a nation. This will not look good in history books. And it could be so easily resolved by signatures and allowing China to throw a hissy fit, calm down and move on. The door is closing on such a chance, obviously.

1 Like

I’m stuck in the murder seat as my wife drives us through Taichung. Are you thinking of one in particular? Do you think I know it from your clues? I don’t. Holding on for dear life here.

The enemy of my enemy. Recall the SK president spoke to covers a while back. He’s very much on board with the US’s playbook. As for Japan, they’re teaching our more to SE Asian partners. Maybe the hate has abated. Who knows until it happens? :person_shrugging:

UNCLOS

Does South Korea consider China an enemy?

I said that’s what Western Europe would have done. Not what I believe should be done. I’m sure Putin would try to take more territory if he could, which is why I’ve always disagreed with Western European countries like Germany cozying up to Russia so much. And the same could be said with China and Western Europe.

I think this part of that article sums up the global situation quite well:

“Without an enforcement mechanism, the tribunal’s ruling is destined to be ignored, or worse still, constitute an empty provocation to a vengeful Beijing bent on turning the South China Sea into a Chinese lake, according to this point of view.”

Meanwhile, everyone still enables the chinese, even after legal action.

Except evangelicals extremists who want curtains down on the world so Jesus can come back…

The US has never been hesitant about bombing little countries that can’t fight back. I call it recreational warfare, one of the few growth industries left in the US. Attacking somebody its own size is something else entirely though. See Ukraine.

The Panama Canal is suffering from drought and Suez from the Gaza war consequences, making shipping costs rise throughout the supply chain. This affects US investment and costs and also the investment and costs of its allies. More inflation, more economic pain worldwide, more stress on this Asia Pacific side of the supply chain. If war/conflict breaks out, what would be more cost effective? Fight or let go? Does the US have the resources to put up the fight in terms of supplies? Maybe with Filipinas support.

Those girls can do anything :muscle:

1 Like

I believe the door closed in 1979 when Taiwan did not take a seat at the UN but then conditions were not possible. It lacked support inside and outside.

The change in wording from 1955 to 1979 in US agreements/laws regarding Taiwan go from will defend to current ambiguity, leaving the side door open for a quick exit.

1 Like

When Americans realize that war with China isn’t going to be another recreational war fought by poor kids from Flyover Country and paid for by loans from China they’re going to bail faster than you can say ‘Hell no, we won’t go.’