Do you think Taiwan has more luxury cars than other places?

small cars would be more suitable for taiwans driving situation, but the idea hasn’t really caught on…

3 Likes

Normal people are riding scooters and rich better drive cars

This.

The number of obnoxious monster cars driving through narrow alleys boggles my mind.

Think this through folks!!!

Guy

3 Likes

You hardly saw luxury/expensive cars in the 1980s. They used to be very highly taxed. I guess that changed? Also, a lot of young people who inherit land these days sell it, gain instant cash, and hey presto they buy an expensive car. It is not easy to buy a nice apartment in Taipei or other major city, but a BMW or Mercedes is within reach.
An expensive car is something I will never desire–not only are they vulgar but they actually own you what with all the upkeep and security worry. Prize possessions wear you down in the end.

2 Likes

Holden is owned/ was by USA’s General Motors as many their cars in the Aussie Markets are made in the USA with the steering wheel moved to the right side from the wrong side.

2 Likes

The drivers ?

1 Like

Agree
That said the new Ferrari Roma seems like a car to lust for

But it could be within reach one day to get an old Ferrari as long as one had a good mechanic who doesn’t charge too much

I’m YouTube
Watching this guy in the U.K. who tinkers with cars and he got a 308 for 30000 pounds and got it good and running for another 6000 pounds

You can get older Ferrari here in the USA for as little as 20000 dollars but the problem is you better be a mechanic yourself because it may take quite a bit to get them ship shape again

My friend got a testarossa for 70k drove it for a year and spent zero dollars and sold it for 65k

He’s done similar with a lambo and with a Bentley

I really like the Modena and I saw one for 70k looked real nice
No idea what it needs in terms of work done t it though

Which is where it can get very expensive

Theres no inbetween, which is a bit odd. I think its down to cars being mostly about status or used as mini buses.

Nothing wrong with having a small crappy car for practical purposes, sure beats those whole family on a scooter situations.

3 Likes

Maybe the rich in Europe have a tax haven in Switzerland ??

Lucky I’m not in Taiwan both my cars are white and I only like white cars :blush:

White and silver are the easiest colors to keep clean in my view
Had a red car and a black car, don’t want those colors again Black was a nightmare to keep clean and red really does get tickets
Got two for going only five miles over in the red car

1 Like

Surge in car sales doesn’t indicate they’re being leased.

OP is obviously not an Australian…

Holden was owned by GM and now closed I believe

Lol…

I was thinking the same thing, but I doubt the thought police would appreciate the humor.

And more Mercedes than Honda… That’s pretty impressive.

1 Like

Btw, why is Tesla so big in Taiwan and Priuses not?

Last time I was in Taiwan I asked the taxi driver why he doesn’t buy a Prius. In the US, Prius taxis are common since they drive them all day so they’re cost effective.

He said they can’t accelerate fast enough to 搶客人.

1 Like

You can search for the Number of Registered Vehicles by Brand at the MOTC website Monthly Transportation Report

Some interesting data for the End of 2019

By the way , I don’t see any Tesla cars , so maybe they are included in the “Others” category

sources:
https://www.motc.gov.tw/en/home.jsp?id=609&parentpath=0,154&mcustomize=

https://stat.motc.gov.tw/mocdb/stmain.jsp?sys=100&funid=emenu

1 Like

I asked them before. They said that hybrids are very expensive to repair if you crash , gas costs are quite low in Taiwan. Also Prius is a small car, they prefer bigger cars like Wish .
There was a subsidy program reCently , I don’t know if that covered hybrids or what…I’ve only seen one Tesla taxi so far.

1 Like

Within 5 years most manufacturers will be hybrid or electric only. That should drive costs down a lot.

1 Like