Do you think Taiwanese girls are immature?

Cool you have an 18yr old sister! Can we meet her? :laughing:

There is a formula I heard from a wise long-time resident of Taiwan. He said to find the mental age of a Taiwanese (male or female) you take their chronological age divide it in half and then subtract 5 years. For example Taiwanese girl-woman says she is 30. 30 divided in half is 15, then subtract 5 and you get ten years old. Which is about right. It can get scary when the age drops to 20 as 20 divided by two is ten and then subtract 5 gives you a mental age of 5 years old.

Which goes a long way towards explaining Hello Kitty and the shit you see in the Hsi-ming-ding shopping area.

1 Like

There’s a similar formula for supposedly ‘wise’ old men. :unamused:

Cool you have an 18yr old sister! Can we meet her? :laughing:[/quote]

Sure, but unlike Taiwanese girls, she knows how to knee a guy in the balls.

Sure, but unlike Taiwanese girls, she knows how to knee a guy in the balls.[/quote]

Mate she sounds great, but are you sure you should be pimping her out like this? :smiley:

1 Like

TW student to me, her teacher:

: should i marry my boyfriend? we’ve been going together for 10 years, but i’m only 37".

me:“what does he do?”

“oh he’s nothing. just the manager of a company”

“seems good to me. i’m just an english teacher”

" there’s another guy who likes me but he’s younger"

“good for you”

“do you think he has oedipus complex?”

" drop your panties right now! i’m going to use your lame brain #% up and suck your #$$% til you cry"… okay, i was thinking that. didn’t say it.

seeing that taiwan has such a great supply of totally clueless girls with beautiful bods, it’s a shame to waste even one. chr dao bao, boys!

Sure, but unlike Taiwanese girls, she knows how to knee a guy in the balls.[/quote]

Mate she sounds great, but are you sure you should be pimping her out like this? :smiley:[/quote]

Its a two way thing. She better be pimping me out to her friends when i go back on holiday.

[quote=“theposter”]TW student to me, her teacher:

: should i marry my boyfriend? we’ve been going together for 10 years, but i’m only 37".

me:“what does he do?”

“oh he’s nothing. just the manager of a company”

“seems good to me. i’m just an English teacher”

" there’s another guy who likes me but he’s younger"

“good for you”

“do you think he has oedipus complex?”

" drop your panties right now! i’m going to use your lame brain #% up and suck your #$$% til you cry"… okay, i was thinking that. didn’t say it.

seeing that taiwan has such a great supply of totally clueless girls with beautiful bods, it’s a shame to waste even one. chr dao bao, boys![/quote]

Better than a friend of a friend who decided to get married after a month together… and her husband-to-be has bought her a house. Oh wait… maybe she’s not that stupid after all.

I know people think some Taiwanese girls live with parents is strange.
But I don’t think living with parents that means you are not (or can’t be)dependant.
If you are only child in the family,taking care of your parents is your responsibility.
Cultural difference!Maybe some of you disagree that.But it is our tradition.
Times changed,don’t you find there are differences in those cooking thing,driving,or living with parents? :saywhat:
Maybe I should ask :why like winnie the pooh,hello kitty…means you are immature?you are mature so you can’t be cute? :ohreally:

Hello kitty and Winnie the Pooh’s target audience is 3-8 year old children. There are many ways of BEING cute. Just because you’re wearing a hello kitty helmet and have winnie the pooh pillow cases is a pathetic attempt at being genuinely cute which is immature.

Living at home to help your parents is great! I wish more people did it back home. It’s living at home when YOU are being taken care of that is immature. People have to get out of the house and live THEIR life until it’s time to come back when you’ve lived you own life and take care of them. When they are away from their parents is when their brain is going to start catching up to their bodies.

Do you ever get that thing where you go to the beach and some lunatic lifeguard starts yelling at you to get out of the water? And after you’ve held your breath under water for 20 minutes, shown him your own superior lifeguarding qualifications, etc. he tells you that he’s not worried about you. He’s worried that some local person will follow you into the water, assuming that it’s safe to do so because you’re doing it, and promptly drown because - amazingly - he doesn’t know how to swim!

This is of course, absurd. Total bollocks. Nobody could be so stupid.

But one day a few months back I saw a Taiwanese girl jump off the back of a boat, fully clothed, several miles from land, in several hundred metres of water. Other people were swimming, she’s been to the swimming pool, therefore it was safe.

Except of course that Taiwanese swimming pools don’t have waves and are never too deep to stand up in. It seemed to be quite a surprise to her when the water closed over her head, and another when it persisted in throwing itself over her head after she struggled to the surface.

I pulled her out, marvelling at such an all-encompassing and debilitating lack of real-life experience. Imagine knowing so little about the world that you can’t even see obvious dangers!

But what do you expect? She was only 30.

I really feel this discussion completely misses the point.

This is not America, and the people here in this country are not “Western” and therefore Western ideas of maturity need to be modified. You all seem to be talking here about “Western maturity” yet you are critiquing Taiwanese women, and I believe this is an error.

I double dog dare you to tell my wife, who is Taiwanese or any of the other Taiwanese wives I know, married to both foreigners or local guys that she is at a maturity level half their age minus 5.

What an absolutely arrogant and massively ignorant thing to say. For me, it borders on racism, but honestly I have neither the desire nor energy to follow the thought through to its end.

Apples and oranges folks. Taiwanese women live at home longer. They give much of their pre-marriage salary to their parents. They put up with sexism that is inherent in their culture, and yet they are fascinating women, excellent dressers, and warm, friendly trusting people, who have this crazy habit of accepting people for who they are and not how they look.

Wordly? Maybe not. But since when is wordliness a measure of maturity?

Imagine the lens looking at Western women: Do you think American women are sluts? Multiple sexual partners before marriage? Hmmm. Are they drunks? Obese? Extremely poor dressers?

I can imagine western women getting pretty hot that someone from outside their culture was critiquing them without realize that, duh, we’re different and do not deserve to be measure with the same stick, unless that stick is dick. And even then, preferences differ greatly.

I feel that this thread (which comes back to life at least once a year) stems once again from superficial examination of Taiwanese women, psycho GFs, or younger women who are observed in certain contexts, like birthday parties, office chatter or the like where they do happen to act somewhat giddy and foolish.

My wife thinks my friends and I are loud obnoxious immature assholes when we get together and talk nonsense for hours at a bar. But we’re just having fun, I tell her.

Jesus Christ folks, don’t we have anything better to talk about?

peace

jds

1 Like

Don’t sound like the words of a wise man at all, to me. Sound more like the words of a stupid supercilious prick. They sure provide a pretty good insight into the depths of HIS mental vacuity, though. I bet he sees a lot of people’s backs when he’s at the pub.

[quote=“tmwc”]Do you ever get that thing where you go to the beach and some lunatic lifeguard starts yelling at you to get out of the water? And after you’ve held your breath under water for 20 minutes, shown him your own superior lifeguarding qualifications, etc. he tells you that he’s not worried about you. He’s worried that some local person will follow you into the water, assuming that it’s safe to do so because you’re doing it, and promptly drown because - amazingly - he doesn’t know how to swim!

This is of course, absurd. Total bollocks. Nobody could be so stupid.

But one day a few months back I saw a Taiwanese girl jump off the back of a boat, fully clothed, several miles from land, in several hundred metres of water. Other people were swimming, she’s been to the swimming pool, therefore it was safe.

Except of course that Taiwanese swimming pools don’t have waves and are never too deep to stand up in. It seemed to be quite a surprise to her when the water closed over her head, and another when it persisted in throwing itself over her head after she struggled to the surface.

I pulled her out, marvelling at such an all-encompassing and debilitating lack of real-life experience. Imagine knowing so little about the world that you can’t even see obvious dangers!

But what do you expect? She was only 30.[/quote]

:noway: My So was scared to death when I carried hear into the waves on the beatch :laughing: I was scared to death when she ride the motorbike as me as pasanger and she cut the blind corners witch aparently is not as dangarous as waves :loco:

Only culture difference they say. :noway:

[quote=“jdsmith”]I really feel this discussion completely misses the point.

This is not America, and the people here in this country are not “Western” and therefore Western ideas of maturity need to be modified. You all seem to be talking here about “Western maturity” yet you are critiquing Taiwanese women, and I believe this is an error.[/quote]
I believe that you believing that we are talking about Western maturity is an error.

Maturity is neither oriental nor occidental. It’s not about whether you follow Chinese, European, American, or Canadian traditions. It’s about having the experience, wisdom, and mental capacities to be able to handle different circumstances we face in life.

Because there are many different kinds of situations we face, there are many different kinds of maturity. Some situations require a physical response. The need to lift objects at an adult level capacity and the need to procreate are things that require physical maturity. Dealing with romantic relationships and close familial relationships requires emotional maturity. Having to analyze complex problems requires intellectual maturity.

Maturity has nothing to do with what culture you are in. But the culture you are in does affect what situations in life that you will face and shapes the experience that add up to your maturity.

Double dog :scooby: daring people to do things isn’t all that mature, you know. Of course, neither is making up incredibly inaccurate formulas to reduce the whole issue to the ridiculous. So, I guess the response is totally appropriate. :smiley:

I suspect that was meant as a joke, not seriously. But it does reflect an opinion I disagree with. I don’t think Chinese women are less mature than Western women in such a linear fashion. I’d say Chinese women from the age of around 18 remain at a lower overall-maturity level than Western girls up until a little after they marry (or move out on their own for some other reason).

Now, hold off on commenting on this part until the end of my post, I have a big qualification to add onto this before the end.

Exactly. And it is their living longer at home that is at the heart of their lower overall maturity. While Western girls are striking out on their own (often rebelling against parental authority) and learning to make decisions for themselves, Taiwanese girls stay at home and do not develop independence.

They take different paths and gain different kinds of experience. But its the diversity of experience that Western girls obtain earlier that I believe makes them more mature overall.

Apples and oranges, I’m afraid. Acceptance of sexual relations, use of alcohol, and fashion are all functions of society. Maturity is not. Society doesn’t determine if a person is capable of managing a situation well or not. It just provides the situations.

The issue of obesity is much more relevant. 300 lb. American stands next to 120 lb. Taiwanese person. The Taiwanese person says: you’re fatter than me. In fact, you are fat. How fat you can be and not be frowned upon by society is cultural, but the size of your gut just isn’t.

I don’t think so. In my case it comes from comparing people I know here with people I know of a similar age back home in a variety of situations. All in all, I’d say Taiwanese girls who are still stuck at home tend to be less mature than Western girls in some ways.

But here’s the big qualification: Western girls are not more mature than Chinese girls in all areas during the period between 18 and marriage.
Taiwanese girls tend to develop a sense of duty and propriety during this time that many Western girls don’t manage to learn until much later in life. This is a form of maturity.

Experience is the key factor in emotional and social maturity, and diversity of experience increases maturity. Just as westerners (particularly Americans) who leave their home country and experience life abroad tend to be more mature in their political thinking than those who never have had the expatriate experience, those girls who leave home earlier and learn to do things on their own are in a sense more mature than someone who does not have that experience.

I’m pretty sure the OP is Taiwanese. Gotta support threads started by locals.

That’s what I was about to say.

[quote=“jdsmith”]I really feel this discussion completely misses the point.

This is not America, and the people here in this country are not “Western” and therefore Western ideas of maturity need to be modified. You all seem to be talking here about “Western maturity” yet you are critiquing Taiwanese women, and I believe this is an error.

I double dog dare you to tell my wife, who is Taiwanese or any of the other Taiwanese wives I know, married to both foreigners or local guys that she is at a maturity level half their age minus 5.

What an absolutely arrogant and massively ignorant thing to say. For me, it borders on racism, but honestly I have neither the desire nor energy to follow the thought through to its end.

Apples and oranges folks. Taiwanese women live at home longer. They give much of their pre-marriage salary to their parents. They put up with sexism that is inherent in their culture, and yet they are fascinating women, excellent dressers, and warm, friendly trusting people, who have this crazy habit of accepting people for who they are and not how they look.

Wordly? Maybe not. But since when is wordliness a measure of maturity?

Imagine the lens looking at Western women: Do you think American women are sluts? Multiple sexual partners before marriage? Hmmm. Are they drunks? Obese? Extremely poor dressers?

I can imagine western women getting pretty hot that someone from outside their culture was critiquing them without realize that, duh, we’re different and do not deserve to be measure with the same stick, unless that stick is dick. And even then, preferences differ greatly.

I feel that this thread (which comes back to life at least once a year) stems once again from superficial examination of Taiwanese women, psycho GFs, or younger women who are observed in certain contexts, like birthday parties, office chatter or the like where they do happen to act somewhat giddy and foolish.

My wife thinks my friends and I are loud obnoxious immature assholes when we get together and talk nonsense for hours at a bar. But we’re just having fun, I tell her.

Jesus Christ folks, don’t we have anything better to talk about?

peace

jds[/quote]

Jds and I are about as close as you can get to apple and oranges but THANK God for this post. :bravo:

Not sure I agree with all of what you say JD. Sure their are massive cultural differences, but a superficial examination of Taiwanese women is probably going to give u a far less biased basis for having an opinion than a comparison to your wife. (who isn’t a typical Taiwanese anyway by definition).

My point was that people who live at home and don’t go out and see the world will be less mature than someone who has. As expats all of us can relate to the amount of change we go through as people by simply immersing ourselves in a different culture.

Acting giddy and foolish is what many women do here much of the time… its the kind of behavior that typifies 15 year olds back home. Don’t fool yourself into thinking its not common because it weren’t, we wouldn’t be talking about it. However, I’d like to add that I’ve never seen a foreigners SO acting like this. Maybe thats because foreigners aren’t attracted to that behavior or maybe its because its discouraged early in a relationship, I’m not sure.

If you really believe that because we come from different cultures that we can’t be measured by the same stick, then any comparison between cultures is meaningless.

Of course I try and view all of this objectively and I’m not criticizing Taiwanese on this… its simply an observation.

Is there such a thing as a typical Taiwanese woman. They all seem different to me.

Yes there is. They all speak Chinese. They all have black hair and brown eyes and lovely, lovely olive skin.