Do you think Taiwanese girls are immature?

[quote=“jonnygard70”]i swear to god. i don’t think i misread. somewhere on here said Taiwanese girls are “excellent dressers”

um, ok[/quote]

Yeah, OK. The way they dress works for me. Of course, I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to how anyone dresses. :s

[quote=“cheetah”][quote=“douseeme”]Original Title: I want to know~~~
Some of forumosans think Taiwanese girls are immature and in prepuberty. :astonished:
I think that is just different culture.
I want to know all of your opinions.[/quote]

We are trying to be objective here. Your response is a cop out.

I think it’s pretty simple: there are differences in the attitudes and behavior of Western and Taiwanese girls. Things are different, so we discuss it. It’s the same as traffic, adherence to the law, employment practices, educational standards, food, race relations. Aspects of life here differ from home, so we talk about it.

This is not typical. Again, we’re generalizing, not pointing to individual cases.

That’s totally missing the point. Cartoons and Hello Kitty are a very superficial indication of maturity level. A person can be independent, responsible, and emotionally mature and still like cartoons and cute stuff.

Hold on, do you even live in Taiwan? Are you talking about Taiwanese girls in the States rather than Taiwanese girls in Taiwan? This makes a huge difference when talking about what kinds of experiences a person has been through. Plus, you say you are still 25 and living at home-- well, that makes you the same as Taiwanese girls that are 25 and still living at home.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think these bad experiences that initially come from immaturity make them mature faster. A 17 year old single mom got in that situation because of her immature decisions. (But then, 17 year old Westerners are not overall more mature than 17 year old Taiwanese, it’s about the same.) That same mom will be far more mature in a year’s time because of the responsibility and pressure of single motherhood. At 20 years old with a 3 year old kid she’ll have grown and developed so much that you would scarcely recognize her earlier attitudes.

The way I see it, there’s no contest here. Strip away nationality and cultural identity and it comes down to this question:

Who is more mature: A girl who stays at home under the control of her parents and is not responsible for her own decisions, or the same girl who goes out to live on her own for a while?

My belief is that the experience of taking care of yourself is an invaluable lesson in maturity and those who lack that experiene are going to be less mature than if they had it.

Who said there was a problem? This thread was started by a Taiwanese girl asking what we thought. We’re expressing our views and explaining them.

You’ve got a problem with our opinion? Well, you’re free to disagree, but don’t cop an attitude.

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]
That’s totally missing the point. Cartoons and Hello Kitty are a very superficial indication of maturity level. A person can be independent, responsible, and emotionally mature and still like cartoons and cute stuff.
[/quote]

Tip of the iceberg, and as they say, where there is smoke, there is very often fire.[/quote]
Probably not on the iceberg. That would probably be just a flare gun.

I think cartoons, video games, etc. are an indication of maturity in that people who have matured are occupied by other thoughts. Not that they aren’t thinking if something is cute, or that they wouldnt want to watch a cartoon or play a game, but their interest is absorbed by more practical or intellectually stimulating matters.

Not that a person would necessarily lose all interest in that sort of thing, but that they are more interested in things of a higher order and have less time for more juvenile pursuits. It’s the degree to which those things occupy the mind that is the greater indication of maturity.

What about internet forums, and people who spend all day long posting on them ? I mean clearly they are missing out on the more practical or intellectual matters.

I would continue this thread but there is a tapping at my chamber door. Perhapse after my butler has prepared my brandy I shall write a longer response from the study.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]

I think cartoons, video games, etc. are an indication of maturity in that people who have matured are occupied by other thoughts. Not that they aren’t thinking if something is cute, or that they wouldnt want to watch a cartoon or play a game, but their interest is absorbed by more practical or intellectually stimulating matters.

Not that a person would necessarily lose all interest in that sort of thing, but that they are more interested in things of a higher order and have less time for more juvenile pursuits. It’s the degree to which those things occupy the mind that is the greater indication of maturity.[/quote]

Discussion is generally considered an intellectual exercise. By “intellectual” I don’t mean attending lectures or doing research into the basic structure of the universe.

Of course, spending all day posting on a forum rather than just 30 minutes to an hour would mean you probably are wasting time, and could do with a bit more maturity in managing your time and being productive, but choosing to spend recreation time in debate and pleasant banter rather than watching cartoons would be more intellectual.

And once again, let me point out that I don’t believe enjoying cute stuff like Hello Kitty or watching cartoons doesn’t necessarily make someone immature. It can be an indication, but that’s not what I’m really talking about.

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“cheetah”][quote=“douseeme”]Original Title: I want to know~~~
Some of forumosans think Taiwanese girls are immature and in prepuberty. :astonished:
I think that is just different culture.
I want to know all of your opinions.[/quote][quote=“douseeme”]
In a word,I just understand westerners think Taiwanese girls are not mature.Just Because they live with parents,they give their money back home(I think it is not common here now.),they like winnie the pooh,Doraamon…,Then like brat pitt is mature?[/quote]
If you think it’s a cultural difference, what’s the point of seeing if Forumosans think Taiwanese girls are mature or immature? If you think they are, they are and if you don’t, then they aren’t. Whether Forumosans think Taiwanese girls are generally less mature or not, you still have mature and immature people around you.[/quote]
We are trying to be objective here. Your response is a cop out.[/quote]
By how? By expressing personal experiences (observations) of Taiwanese girls you knew or stories you heard of? It is “objectivity” based on subjectivity. If you associate with different social hiararchies, let’s say 13-year-old girls to 65-year-old ones from the margins of the society to the top of the pyrimad, it is more objective (persuasive). If your objectivity comes from female friends, coworkers at school (in a company), girls going abroad for studies or travelling and girls having fun in bars, it isn’t objective across the board but is only in a certain of subjects.

By the way, here is another “cop-out” of mine agreed by the other poster. :rainbow:

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“jonnygard70”]i swear to god. i don’t think i misread. somewhere on here said Taiwanese girls are “excellent dressers”

um, ok[/quote]

Yeah, OK. The way they dress works for me. Of course, I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to how anyone dresses. :s[/quote]

It works very well for me, too. But I tend to pay more attention to the bits that are uncovered than to what’s covering the bits that aren’t.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“jonnygard70”]i swear to god. i don’t think i misread. somewhere on here said Taiwanese girls are “excellent dressers”

um, ok[/quote]

Yeah, OK. The way they dress works for me. Of course, I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to how anyone dresses. :s[/quote]

It works very well for me, too. But I tend to pay more attention to the bits that are uncovered than to what’s covering the bits that aren’t.[/quote]

Hey once you’ve lived in HK everyone dresses well, even Tigerman! How does a group of women spend so much on brands and then put them together so badly? (still talking about HK here).

Can somebody define the meaning of “mature”?
I guess we all have different aspects of it.
I am a Taiwaness.I have to admit that most of us don’t experience this world at our young ages as you guys.Lack of experiences doesn’t mean we are immature.It just means that the fun time is delayed.If your foreign friend encouraged you to explore the world bravely ,but laughed at you behind your back.Can you call that “immature”?
Maybe I am immature to trust people easily. :unamused:

Hey nobody laughs when someone hasn’t seen the world. People laugh when an adult still needs to be directed like a child. They laugh when adults can’t swim. They laugh when people fall down… hehehe.

I never said I was mature.

ma·ture (m-tyr, -tr, -chr)
adj. ma·tur·er, ma·tur·est
a. Having reached full natural growth or development: a mature cell.
b. Having reached a desired or final condition; ripe: a mature cheese.
2. Of, relating to, or characteristic of full development, either mental or physical: mature for her age.
a. Suitable or intended for adults: mature subject matter.
b. Composed of adults: a mature audience.
4. Worked out fully by the mind; considered: a mature plan of action.
5. Having reached the limit of its time; due: a mature bond.
6. No longer subject to great expansion or development. Used of an industry, a market, or a product.
7. Geology Having reached maximum development of form. Used of streams and landforms.
v. ma·tured, ma·tur·ing, ma·tures
v.tr.

1. To bring to full development; ripen.
  2. To work out fully in the mind: “able to digest and mature my thoughts for my own mind only” John Stuart Mill.
    v.intr.
  3. To evolve toward or reach full development: The child’s judgment matures as she grows older.
  4. To become due. Used of notes and bonds.

Actually a lot of the foreign dudes seems to be just as immature as the babes they keep whinging about. :smiley:

Immaturity is an infectious disease. Scientists in the know aren’t sure yet, but apparently it’s airborne. There is one particular strain, however, that’s sexually transmitted. :smiley:

I don’t understand quite how the fact that many Taiwanese women live with their parents into their thirties has anything to do with how mature they are. Simply put some of them may not have much choice in the matter financially as many jobs for women here do not pay enough for a woman to live on their own.
It has been my experience that many foreigners here judge maturity on the basis of whether or not somebody likes Hello Kitty. Some of these foreign women hate Hello Kitty but they themselves turn out to be quite rude to work with. They will talk loudly of their own view of life and then shoot you down when you disagree with them on a subject. Many of them have been quite confrontational when trying to settle a problem and have not been able to compromise when they have a problem with a foreign male.
Taiwanese, on the other hand, are more easy going about these things and I have not had the problems with them that I have had working with foreign females here. I’ll take the more laid back Taiwanese girl everytime. Who cares if she likes Hello Kitty?

I totally agree with what you said about Whitey’s. Foreigners have a tendency to be a little too blunt and honest about how they feel. I think that’s immature.

Anyway, the low paying work these taiwanese girls have to do has caused them to live sheltered and immature lifestyles. It’s a sad thing and nobody, including pushy foreigners, likes to see.

I totally disagree. But I’m not going to argue because then I would be a confrontational, rude immature Western woman.

‘Darwinism for girls’ favours many traits; acting ‘cute’ is a time honoured tradition. Never compromising and earning your own damn rent money works for many women too. Every behaviour has its reward and both work well and get you by in the world. Both get you boys. There are a million different ways to get what you want and there are enough people in this world to accomodate ‘cute’ girls and mouthy, opinionated brats like me. You collect Hello Kitty magnets, I collect ex-boyfriends. We women don’t have to choose which one makes us ‘look better’ and that’s the big difference feminism has made.

In my culture, giggling and liking cartoon characters would put you on the bottom of the heap and make you look incompetent and less educated. So we don’t do it; again, survival of the fittest. In East Asia, it doesn’t affect how your peers see you, so more power to Taiwanese girls for having the choice to dick around collecting Hello Kitty figures into their 30s while living with their parents to save money. And I have the choice to do things that many Taiwanese girls don’t for which I am grateful (not that it’s forbidden, they just wouldn’t want to because it would set them back socially and economically).

In the end, all women (and humans in general) do want gets them by the best. No one else has ANY SAY in the matter! All you get to do is choose the woman that fits you the best. So why all the criticism and debate? :wink:

But on a serious note: parents and teachers; would you encourage young girls to revere a female icon which has no mouth? Fuck Kitty. :raspberry:

1 Like

YES IMMATURE - and that’s what makes them our prey.

The benefits of having a mature girl: Better understanding. More fulfillment. Stroger love. A healthy future. The best companion. Kinky group night fun… ok that’s too much.

The benefits of having a “non-mature” girl: Easy to dump on a nightly basis.

[quote] don’t understand quite how the fact that many Taiwanese women live with their parents into their thirties has anything to do with how mature they are. Simply put some of them may not have much choice in the matter financially as many jobs for women here do not pay enough for a woman to live on their own.
[/quote]

I totally desagree with this

In western contries not everybodies are ‘rich’ and some are even poorer than in Taiwan. And I never heard about a 30 years old women living with their parents, it’s really something impossible
How can you be mature and have your own private life if you live with your parents?
Most of TW women even can’t care well of a home (can’t iron clothes, wash…), don’t even ask them to cook or you’ll be on diet :smiley: . At more than 30 years old, to don’t know how to use a iron,(because mama is doing all) I really feel sorry for them… :s

so yes TW women are immature, and have to accept it. (or change if they don’t accept)

[quote]
Most of TW women even can’t care well of a home (can’t iron clothes, wash…), don’t even ask them to cook or you’ll be on diet :smiley: . At more than 30 years old, to don’t know how to use a iron,(because mama is doing all) I really feel sorry for them… :s

so yes TW women are immature, and have to accept it. (or change if they don’t accept)[/quote]

Doing somebody else’s ironing and cooking is NOT a sign of intelligence and maturity!

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote]

so yes TW women are immature, and have to accept it. (or change if they don’t accept)[/quote]

Doing somebody else’s ironing and cooking is NOT a sign of intelligence and maturity![/quote]

it was only an example… :stuck_out_tongue:
I just want to mean if they even can’t do these basics things, how can they live alone by themself ? :help: