Do you think your kids go to their local schools too early?

Do you think your kids go to their local schools too early? Many Taiwanese parents don’t think so. It’s weird.

Do you mean too early in the morning, or they start school too young?

Yes, to both.

4 Likes

too early in the morning

1 Like

no, I think.its normal and inline with my home country.
school back home starts at 0800 in the morning, early classes start sometimes at 0710.

1 Like

There’s a lot of debate about that locally.

The ministry of education and health are well aware ware this is bad for kids.

They are changing some schools to start at 9am soon and banned teachers from giving exercises if the kids came earlier.

Some parents are dinosaurs here, but some parents are aware of the issue.

There’s an ENORMOUS problem with time wasting in Taiwan society and a lot.of it starts with school.
The kids are kept in many classes just sitting there. And then after school activities and club activities you will often see a lot of waiting around.
And after the school exams they keep the kids on school another couple of weeks for long days but don’t really do anything.

But the early school starts…That’s just bad for kids health. They need more sleep and they don’t wake up until later in the morning.

8 Likes

My Taiwanese friends all seem to have this strange capability of sleeping anywhere and falling asleep as soon as they get some free time. And when I ask, “what’s your favorite activity?” They usually say sleep. So yeah, maybe there’s something to that.

12 Likes

Well. then they should be put to bed earlier. It’s not uncommon to see kindy-aged kids traipsing around with their parents late at night.

5 Likes

That’s true but this is a biological clock thing. Kids and teenagers actually need a bit of a lie-in.

2 Likes

It not only early starts but late finishes also, most kids after 2nd grade elementary are on the equivalent of a 9-to-5. Factor in after school activities, homework time, commute time, they have no playtime or time to themselves if you want them to have enough sleep.

Hopefully there is momentum with the changes.

3 Likes

The working conditions of the parents will need to change to have any positive impact on the children’s extra “schooling”.

Children often go to homework class and other extra classes because the parents need a baby sitter so they can do their “work”.

It’s a bit of chicken and egg situation.

7 Likes

So they are introducing 9am start for high school in August .

Other schools no because they can’t be left on their own into the morning.

But they aren’t allowed do lessons if they come in early.

Teachers will start later but ask the kids to get there at the same time.

true, but my parents also worked when I was growing up, and from grade 4 or 5 it was perfectly ok for me to come back home by myself and wait for them to get back.
not just me, many of my peers were like this, we had the house key on a cool key chain…
not just that, running to the store to get groceries, or peeling potatoes for dinner, many chores that were a normal part of life for me growing up are not existing in Taiwan.
I didnt like starting school at 0710, and my parents hated it more I guess,but t start school at 8am is normal.

5 Likes

Elementary kids go in at about 7:50am and don’t start until 8:45am. Cannot go in later than 7:50am in local school.

I know. A good hour wasted. Drives me nuts.

I was replying to high school kids starting later. The schools will just find loopholes and ask the kids to come in at the same time to study by themselves.

That is how they demonstrate they are a ‘good’ school. Look, we study more than others.

5 Likes

Does a bit of boredom not inspire creativity? I always felt if kids are instructed or entertained all hours of the day, the creative part of their brains turns to mush.

7 Likes

Same for me. I started at 8 a.m. and was home by 2 a.m.
We went out and played football and cricket in the street after we’d made our own lunch and done chores.
It was a different time, though. No TVs and smartphones.

5 Likes

Started at 9 finished 2.30.
Also spent most of my childhood playing outside . Although I would do my homework first but it was quick.

4 Likes

That’s a long day!

7 Likes

Imagine sending your 1st grader out in the afternoon to play in the streets in Taiwan. :rofl:

7 Likes