Do you tip your salon girl?

I’ve asked several Taiwanese friends about this. Of course it’s not the custom here, but I feel that I should give them something if they do a good job cutting my hair.

I mean, it only costs 308 NT so should I give them an extra 20-30NT? The weird thing is - or maybe I’m the weird thing - is that they come down and wait next to the cash stand for me to pay after they’re finished. It might be my skewed interpretation of the situation, but if they aren’t waiting for a tip wouldn’t they just stay next to their station and clean up?

Or maybe you know of another reason they accompany the guest downstairs to pay? It’s a 2-story salon on NanJing and Guang Fu.

It’s internal guilt that I’m fighting. I walk away from the cash stand and put the money directly into my pocket but I feels dirty.

I don’t know, man.
Mine charges me like 750 a pop and spends the whole time complaining about how hard it is to cut White Man Hair and how’d I’d be really handsome if I weren’t so fat.
So I reckon she’s getting a bargain, since I have never told her to shut the fuck up and cut.
She does a great job, though.

Lately I can’t be arsed, though, so I’m on the Loretta/cfimages plan, like I used to be…

ETA Sorry, I drifted off track there, if I was paying as little as you are, and they were doing a good job I was happy with, I’d definitely throw down an extra 50 or a hun.
Alternatively, one thing you can do, and I’ve done this before, is to spring for a round of milk teas or something for the girls, depending on how many of them there are…

So you don’t run out without paying?

HG

I don’t. That’s a great thing about Taiwan for a cheapskate like me: tipping is not part of the culture.

[quote=“the chief”]I don’t know, man.
Mine charges me like 750 a pop and spends the whole time complaining about how hard it is to cut White Man Hair and how’d I’d be really handsome if I weren’t so fat.[/quote]

:roflmao:

[quote=“the chief”]
So I reckon she’s getting a bargain, since I have never told her to shut the fuck up and cut.
She does a great job, though.[/quote]

My girl didn’t talk a bit. This was nice because they have mini flat panel TVs in front of each station. You get your own remote and can flip through the channels while the girls work their magic.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
So you don’t run out without paying?

HG[/quote]

That gives new meaning to the phrase “cut and run”. :discodance:

Good point.

Just curious, do people in the UK tip for haircuts and other service-realted things?

Do people tip teachers? I provide a service, but the price you see is the price you pay. Do you slip the girl in the bank a few notes for putting your pay-cheque into your account? How about a little extra for the guy who puts petrol in your tank? Do you tip cops when they write you a ticket? “Great job there officer.”

When you check in for a flight, having previously bought your ticket, how do you feel about all those extra charges? Airport tax, departure fees, security surcharges, handling fees, etc. Do you cough up without a whimper, and tip the check-in staff too? I fucking don’t. I complain like hell that I’m being shafted. The price you see is the price you pay, or should be.

If people are unhappy with what they earn they should take it up with their employer. As a customer I pay the advertised price. I actually don’t take a lot of notice what the price is, but I object to any kind of extra fee. That’s why taxis have metres and restaurants have menus and teachers have contracts. Everyone knows in advance what to expect and nobody has any nasty surprises. Tipping is an abomination. Don’t feel bad about not doing it.

I wonder how long they spend on your hair, and if you’re getting a shampoo. My wife spends hours getting her hair done, and the results are worth it. I have little hair left, and I prefer to get in and out within 15 minutes. I can wash my own hair in about 2 minutes, but a nice little scalp massage is a treat worth paying for. Thailand and India are great places to get shaves. I’ll shave myself in Taiwan.

My uncle always used to say, “The only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks!” He had 9 kids and cut their hair to save money.

NT$308 seems like a goofy price. Why not NT$300 or NT$350? Are they hoping you’ll pay 350 and leave the rest as a tip? I’ll be disappointed if tipping (taxis etc.) becomes expected in Taiwan.

I reckon cutting “White Man Hair” is no different than what they usually cut here. In Africa, many barbers have never cut straight hair.

Do people tip teachers? I provide a service, but the price you see is the price you pay. Do you slip the girl in the bank a few notes for putting your pay-cheque into your account? How about a little extra for the guy who puts petrol in your tank? Do you tip cops when they write you a ticket? “Great job there officer.”

When you check in for a flight, having previously bought your ticket, how do you feel about all those extra charges? Airport tax, departure fees, security surcharges, handling fees, etc. Do you cough up without a whimper, and tip the check-in staff too? I fucking don’t. I complain like hell that I’m being shafted. The price you see is the price you pay, or should be.

If people are unhappy with what they earn they should take it up with their employer. As a customer I pay the advertised price. I actually don’t take a lot of notice what the price is, but I object to any kind of extra fee. That’s why taxis have metres and restaurants have menus and teachers have contracts. Everyone knows in advance what to expect and nobody has any nasty surprises. Tipping is an abomination. Don’t feel bad about not doing it.[/quote]

You’re hardly qualified to jump in here, bub, last time you got a haircut, there were 4 Beatles above ground…

Oh, and Jeez, when I taught, I used get tips all the time…maybe there’s a quality issue…

I always get a 200 NT hair drill now. First I thought there is a black dog sleeping under the sideboard, but then I saw it’s all the hair she chops off.

No tip, no way! :discodance:

I just give them one tip:

Cut it straight, or I’ll cut all of yours off, at the neck. Got it?

Didn’t we got through this whole tipping deal 3 weeks ago?
And no, I ain’t going to go find the thread.
I will say this, though, anyone who’s making foreigner $ in Taipei and won’t throw down an extra NT$50 on a NT$300 haircut (that you’re happy with, this place is full of shite haircuts, it really is difficult for them to cut foreigner hair well), dude, you are
One
Cheap
Cunt

I figured for sure we’d have heard from Josefus on this one…

[quote=“the chief”]You’re hardly qualified to jump in here, bub, last time you got a haircut, there were 4 Beatles above ground…

Oh, and Jeez, when I taught, I used get tips all the time…maybe there’s a quality issue…[/quote]
Three weeks ago, actually. :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

We’re talking about a different kind of tip, chiefy. The help and advice that others felt moved to give you was a reflection of the quality of service you were providing, as you seem to have figured out. But we’re not talking about those kind of tips. We’re talking about money, bribes to people who can actually do their jobs but choose not to unless you submit to blackmail.

Agree on the goofy price strategy. Maybe it’s for luck.

Tipping for good service makes sense to me. I’m used to “mandatory tipping” and feel I often tip for shit service in Canada. It just doesn’t feel right to walk out of a restaurant and not leave a tip though. The cooks often get shafted on tips too. Many restaurants here add 10% to the bill, to my knowledge this money does not go to the servers, so what the hell is it for? Taxis and hairdressers in Taiwan may refuse to take the tip or at least hesitate.

They are not accustomed to tips, but appreciate them when received.

I used to go for a manicure, pedicure, and hair wash/style while my husband had a haircut / shave at the same place. We would tip 50 to each person involved, which ended up being about 200 in tips. What is that, less than $7? Hardly anything to show appreciation for a job well done in a country where it’s damn near impossible to find people who can do these things well.

Who’s gonna tell him? :sick:

I do not tip the “hair designer” but the poor girls doing the rubbin and scrubbin deserve a 100 NT tip.
They make like 10K per month doing the hard work relaxing my stiff shoulders, so at least a small smile on their face is woth a hundred.

You all act & sound soooooo Dutch :raspberry:

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“zender”]

NT$308 seems like a goofy price. Why not NT$300 or NT$350? Are they hoping you’ll pay 350 and leave the rest as a tip? I’ll be disappointed if tipping (taxis etc.) becomes expected in Taiwan.
[/quote]
Agree on the goofy price strategy. Maybe it’s for luck.[/quote]

Of Course!!! NT$308 because, doncha know, 8 is so luuuucky!

But Wait! You give 'em NT$350, and they give you back 42 in change!!!

4 is like the unluckiest number there is!

It’s like they give you bad luck . . . and then . . . what ? You give them the bad lucky (NT42) right back as a tip?!

That sucks!

I’m cuttin’ my own hair before I go there, and I don’t care if they can make my hair look as silky and full as the chief’s.

Who’s gonna tell him? :sick:[/quote]

Uhhh, yeah, the day you get a haircut from someone other than a poodle clipper promoting you a freebie, we’ll talk…

I heartily agree with this one. My (female) barber does a great job.I have curly hair, and it was even difficult to find someone stateside who could manage it. I’ve been going to the same woman for six years, and I don’t feel that NT250 is a whole lot for quality work; I sure don’t mind adding 150 on top of that.

I also tip cab drivers. The flag drop (NT70) is the same as it was when I moved here, and I do feel guilty when most of my trips are less than 150. I made my living as a waiter for 19 years though; that may skew my perception of tipping slightly.

What these people make compared to me is pretty sad. I don’t mind spreading the wealth just a little bit.