Do you trust your cleaner?

Do you trust your domestic engineer?

• Yes, I trust her/him altogether.
  • Yes, but I have my doubts.
  • No, but I have no choice but to keep her/him.

0 voters

If you have a cleaning lady that comes around once or twice a week, do you feel at ease when you leave your home in her care? I personally don’t trust ours. She’s always trying to make an extra buck and things have disappeared.

I had no probs, my cleaner was great. We agreed on a lump sum (based on an hourly rate), I gave her a key, left the money on the table on the day she would come and my place would look tip-top when I get back from work. Nothing ever disappeared.

We ended up firing our cleaner. Not because things disappeared, but because she was cleaning/snooping in places she needed not to clean/snoop.

marboulette

Except the money on the table, right!

[quote=“marboulette”]We ended up firing our cleaner. Not because things disappeared, but because she was cleaning/snooping in places she needed not to clean/snoop.

marboulette[/quote]

I have a big problem with that too. I don’t want somebody snooping in my stuff.

The way most people’s houses are here I do not think most cleaners standards are up to what a Westerner would be used to? What do some of you think of that? Just curious!

Most people’s houses in Taiwan are cluttered due to having lots of family members in a small space, but immaculately clean.

I got a handwritten letter from my landlady apologising that she had not replaced the vaccuum cleaner, after a three month wait, because she was waiting for the shop to send a part, offering to come and clean with hers. I didn’t even know we had one.

It sucks, having a cleaner, but you lose far more stuff not having one because it gets lost.

I like baking soda and lemon juice. Natural cleaners will do a wonderful job without harming anything, but you need to do just a little googeling to find out what works and how to use it.

But of course, you mean you don’t trust your “maid,” or “housekeeper,” I suppose.

Most people’s houses in Taiwan are cluttered due to having lots of family members in a small space, but immaculately clean.

I got a handwritten letter from my landlady apologising that she had not replaced the vaccuum cleaner, after a three month wait, because she was waiting for the shop to send a part, offering to come and clean with hers. I didn’t even know we had one.

It sucks, having a cleaner, but you lose far more stuff not having one because it gets lost.[/quote]

Yes I would stand corrected on that, they are cluttered and buy too many gadgets and knicknacks that fill up their small homes.
I would say the place that does not get cleaned good enough is the kitchen. Most use lots of oil and they do not clean up after thus leaving films of grease.

[quote=“Buttercup”]

Most people’s houses in Taiwan are cluttered due to having lots of family members in a small space, but immaculately clean. [/quote]Not the houses I’ve been in. Some are clean, but most are disgustingly dirty. People in Taiwan maintain their houses about as well as they maintain their scooters. I moved 5 times here, and each time we had to clean the whole place before moving in despite being told that the house had been cleaned already. That’s because it actually was clean by their standards. Breeding cockroaches is what it really is…

marboulette

No-one cleans their house before they leave.

I dunno, pretty much all I’ve been too have been immaculate, even if old or cluttered with general junk. Just my experience.

Hi AAF,
I’m a part-time cleaner and full time Nanny.
please dont generalized that all cleaners are stealing things, it happen that you found the bad one and can’t be trusted.

You can ask the cleaner if she found your missing stuff - tell her you just put those things while ago and now it was missing… perhaps she just put in the drawer.

Nanny Jos

Hi Nanny Jos,

I think that if you look at AAF’s post again, you will see that what he is saying is not a generalization. He’s not talking about all the cleaners, he’s talking about one cleaner specifically; his cleaner.

The same with ours, I’m sure there are a lot of trustworthy cleaners out there, but ours was snooping around in our stuff. Certainly not a cleaner I would recommend.

marboulette

Got me! :laughing:

Mine was great, came highly recommended. Didn’t need to tell her what to do, she even cleaned the windows weekly (unless it was raining).

Ehem, probably the stuff that is missing is in the dustbin or garbage can.

I am a pack rat, and my cleaning lady desperately wants to throw away a lot of stuff. If I am not there she will. (Probably she’s right) :smiley:

Hi AAF,
I’m a part-time cleaner and full time Nanny.
please dont generalized that all cleaners are stealing things, it happen that you found the bad one and can’t be trusted.

You can ask the cleaner if she found your missing stuff - tell her you just put those things while ago and now it was missing… perhaps she just put in the drawer.

Nanny Jos[/quote]

Hi Jos

No, I wasn’t generalizing. But think about it for a while, some of the cleaners out there are really desperate and the temptation to take something must be great. Some of the things that have gone missing won’t fit in a drawer, like pot plants (flowers), for instance. I’m also missing clothing items. The same person has also been trying to sell stuff to us from another house she works at, has been making loans and is constantly asking for donations. She doesn’t work here anymore. She has also done other things I don’t like like washing the floor with a dishcloth and the bathroom floor with my facecloth. She also wants to be picked up and taken to work.

Wow, I guess I’m one of the few poor people on the forum.

If I earn 1000-1500 an hour and she earns 250-300 an hour, its simply setting fire to money to clean my own toilet.

I trust my cleaners. Formula 409 works very well, as do Murphy’s Oil Soap and Mop 'n Glo.

In HK it’s helpers that’s correct this month, but aside from polishing my suede shoes, I trust them both implicitly. Obviously I have dirt on them, so to speak, and they on me. It’s a dance of mutual obliged trust.

HG