Doctor Who viewing

Opinion of Tennant

• A natural
  • Good Doctor, stories not done him justice yet.
  • Not as good as Eccleston
  • A pile of old pants

0 voters

Anyone thought of organising communal viewing of the Timelord? Being able to watch it out here is great. Watching it with other Who fans would be amazing. My girlfriend likes it (haven’t quite persuded her to watch “classic Who” yet, but it’s not the same as having a fellow geek (Whovian) in the room.

p.s. Best story yet? Cybermen in my humble opinion. School Reunion close second.

How did you manage that ? It’s not out on DVD until tomorrow. I’m the only person here who could have legally got it shipped out here by now.

I watched it free at the point of use, like anyone in the UK.

Not being there and not having 24 hour live access to the BBC, I don’t pay the licence fee. I do pay about 20 quid a year to the BBC for their streaming content though. If I could pay for full access to domestic BBC TV channels, I probably would.

Are we talking morality or legality?

If we’re talking morality, I’m not ripping anyone off, what I watch is not yet available on DVD and I do pay some money to the BBC (albeit for something else). As a fraction of the licence fee compared to the quantity of BBC TV I watch, my ratio is pretty good.

As for the legality of downloading stuff not available on DVD, I’m not sure.

So what of this series is available on DVD and where? Having seen it once already, I am still potentially interested.

[quote=“fruitloop”]So what of this series is available on DVD and where?[/quote]The whole of the Eccleston season, and the first 2 discs of the Tennant one (But they’re on region two, which is seeming to get less and less worth my time and money). Essleston is coming out next month is the US so I can get imported that from there cheaper and in a easier to handle box.
From me, in the sig.

Yeah, the new Who is better made in every aspect than the old Who, it would be hard to get anyone into that, I’ve tried too…

What is this streaming service you got it from ?

I’m in Kaohsiung/Pingtung area. I’ll be willing to come in for a Saturday night viewing of Dr. Who.

I’m happy I can buy these DVD’s from ShinyImports. But, it made my hair stand up that someone said that it’s not on DVD yet and they are the only sole importer anyway.

My mom sends me monthly packages of DVD’s recorded off the air (legally ) of children’s shows for my daughter. I can import anything I want from Amazon and I can ask my mom record Dr. Who from the TV.

Heck, growing up, I personally paid for DR Who showings on my local PBS station.

Anyway… if anyone has Dr. Who DVD’s or can arrange a small Whovian Party please PM me. I’ll bring the Popcorn. BTW. I haven’t seen the good Doctor. I lost interest after Perter Davidson. Something about having a medical school drop out as the doctor.

And to ShinyImports, sorry. I have so much negative energy to directed towards the motion picture industry. You almost have to be a criminal to watch your movies that you legally purchased if you live out of your home region. I don’t see any acknowledgement of the plight of international families.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]And to ShinyImports, sorry. I have so much negative energy to directed towards the motion picture industry. You almost have to be a criminal to watch your movies that you legally purchased if you live out of your home region. I don’t see any acknowledgement of the plight of international families.[/quote]I agree completely, the movie industry doesn’t seem to realise that people do live in other countries and want to watch things from home, that is exactly the reason I set this up, so these items can be obtained in Taiwan. I know how annoying it is not being able to buy English games in Taiwan.

There’s lots of Who DVDs available, stacked to the gills with extras (I have a small collection myself). But the Tennant series is still in the process of being gradulary released.

I imagine I’m the only one importing these, if someone was already doing it, I wouldn’t have to.

The Eccelston series looks and sounds rather nice on my 2 meter projector screen and 5.1 speaker setup.

Sorry taiwan student, I’m in Taipei. Otherwise…

There doesn’t seem to be too much of an appetite for this idea, does there? Who always was a minority pursuit, but back home it seems normal people are watching it too.