Documents Notarization & Authentication

Is there a way to notarize and authenticate U.S. documents within Taiwan without having to go back home to complete everything?. I am looking at my options to work elsewhere besides Taiwan and am wondering if this is even feasible. When I say documents I meant degrees, health checks, background checks–all that good stuff.

Yes, go to AIT.

2 Likes

How’s the process like?

Go to their website, read what they can and can’t notarize, check what additional documents or photographs or whatever is needed. Once you have everything you need and know the cost and have prepared that, go to the AIT pick a number and sit in a queue for an hour or so, if everything is in order they take your stuff, passport or whatever else they asked you to bring along and about 20 minutes later you get your stuff back and notarized copies of what they could notarize for you.

I had to do that not so long ago.

3 Likes

Do you need to bring the original copies with you too? They didn’t specify online so I wasn’t sure.

Yes

1 Like

Are you an American Citizen? If you are, here are some tips

• you will go to the Consular section or American Citizen Services team, which have a separate entrance on Jinhu Road. If you go to the Main Entrance, they will direct you down the hill to the entrance to ACS
  • you cannot bring your laptop or tablet inside AIT, and they do not have lockers where you can park it during your visit. Security will tell you you can try to leave it at the 7-11 up the hill
  • if you are an American Citizen, you book an appointment in advance on the ACS website – you are advised to not be more than 10 minutes late (probably because the rest of us slobs have made appointments, too, and we will not be late)
  • notarizing anything at any embassy costs a lot more than usual - be sure you really need a US notary

As you can see in this map, the nearest 7-11 is a bit of a walk from the ACS entrance – it’s up the hill, over the bridge and a further 5 min away

Here is a link to the documents they will notarize for you

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’ve contacted AIT and they told me they don’t notarize American degrees not even copies so I guess I’ll have to go home to do it.

2 Likes

I need a Japanese document notarized by the AIT in Taipei but there’s only one date in all of September available for notarial appointments apparently. My understanding is notary services are available by appointment only. Does anyone know of any workarounds for this issue?

Not aware of any workarounds, but if there is only one slot available, I would book it.

1 Like

That’s strange. May I ask why they need your degrees notarized? You have the original with you? I am thinking maybe I need to have mine notarized for the future as well. Just in case.