Does a random Airbnb qualify as a quarantine "designated location"?

I’m not planning on breaking quarantine at all, not after seeing what the rest of the world is going through. I’m looking forward to coming back to Taiwan and definitely want to keep it virus-free. Quarantining at a non-designated quarantine site shouldn’t count as breaking quarantine as long as I’m following the guidelines for trash handling, private bathroom, no contact, etc.
My point is if I’m paying $30k then I want to have some semblance of comfort, rather than be trapped in a single hotel room with only a TV, bathroom, and a single small window. I know this is splitting hairs and I don’t want to make it seem like I’m not thankful for all the work the Taiwan government is doing, but I don’t understand why I can’t use an Airbnb with actual modern amenities to quarantine.

I haven’t read all the replies but couldn’t @throwaway_traveler just filter airbnb results for stays greater than one month and then its a long term stay? I recently checked the site and there are a few long term rentals showing that seem cheaper than the hotel.

Honestly, I have no idea about the intricacies of the law. I just don’t want you to end up paying $1,000,000 in addition to whatever you pay for rent.

1 Like

Ignore most of the responses in this thread.

While Taipei has passed a city bylaw regarding the use of Airbnb as a quarantine site, Taiwan is more than just Taipei. As the taxi fare is capped from the airport, you could easily go over to Yilan and get a nice place with a coastal view (Carrefour does grocery delivery). As long as you are respecting the intent of the law – staying away from other people – you’ll be fine. To be honest, you just need to provide an address at the airport where you can be found if the police do a home inspection. You won’t be fined if you aren’t venturing out and about.

1 Like

Life isn’t fair. Your comfort during the two weeks you’re in quarantine isn’t the authorities’ primary concern. Nor is the “CP value” of the legal quarantine options.

I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand.

If you’re genuinely interested in keeping Taiwan safe, you’ll follow the rules that the authorities have created whether they make sense to you or not. In the week that you’ve been going on about this here, you probably could have sent a few emails or made a few calls and received official answers to your questions.

2 Likes

The law is clear on this. You can quarantine at an airbnb but you need to make it a legal rental, not a quasi hotel rental. And that makes sense. If you live at the same place long enough there’s zero chance you import the disease and infect the next guests. If you got infected on the plane, 14 days isn’t enough time for your apartment to become virus free without a proper cleaning, which many airbnb hosts neglect to do.

What doesn’t make sense is people reading a few poorly translated news articles and thinking they know what the law says. It doesn’t say you get fined a million bucks for staying at an airbnb. No one has been fined for staying at an airbnb, though some have been forcibly relocated and their hosts fined for running a quasi hotel operation in violation of tourism law.

1 Like

If you quarantine at an Airbnb make sure to keep the trash inside your room for two weeks and don’t mix it with your neighbor’s. Also get a place where the deliveries can go directly to your room.

Received the following email from Airbnb today. It says to “please only use the quarantine facilities suggested by the government.”

I know the discussion here has been - does an Airbnb stay of 30+ days mean I can stay in an Airbnb for quarantine legally? While this notice doesn’t definitively answer that question, I think the fact that it’s coming from Airbnb means that they themselves would not consider an Airbnb booking - regardless of length of stay - as a home for these purposes.

To address growing public health concerns related to COVID-19, the Taiwanese government has announced enhanced quarantine guidance as of 15 January 2021.

The new measures require individuals to utilise only government appointed quarantine facilities to serve their quarantine orders. To protect your safety, if you are arriving from outside Taiwan or have been issued a quarantine order, please only use the quarantine facilities suggested by the government.

More details about the announcement are as follows:

The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) of Taiwan announced that the quarantine location must be in a centralized group quarantine facility or quarantine hotel. Alternatively, if you wish to quarantine at home, you would need to sign an affidavit with Taiwanese authorities that no other non-quarantined individuals may reside in the same unit.

Local city governments such as Taipei City, New Taipei City, and Taichung City governments have announced enhanced enforcement measures against people using short-term rentals as quarantine facilities.

Penalties may include publicizing the offender’s name and address of the listing, and a fine of up to NT$500,000. You may also be transferred to a government appointed quarantine facility for the remainder of your stay.

Please ensure you continue to check and adhere to the latest local public health guidance to protect your safety and the well-being of our community.

Thanks,
The Airbnb Team

1 Like

Doesn’t say these were Airbnbs, but seems to suggest that if the intent of the rental is for quarantine, it’s no bueno.

It was likely short term. The terms were clear, you’re not allowed to rent out short term, so it has to be 1 months contract.

Its more or less over now anyhow, but the best solution would have been no contract at all and staying at or with “Friends”.

Does anyone know if I can use an AirBnB for my mother for quarantine in August? With the expectation that I’d be dropping what she needs outside of her door?

Would I need to let the host know / would anyone from the government be contacting the owner of the residence?

The quality of quarantine hotels is not looking great for that period, and the idea of a kitchen she could cook her own food with sounds appealing

It may be smarter to switch things up to let your mother to stay at your place, with you leaving it nicely stocked—and you stay at the Air B&B during the quarantine period. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Great suggestion, though we are currently staying with my wife’s family as we prepare to move back to the US and I don’t think I can convince the entire household to move out for 8 days unfortunately :frowning:

Needs a 1 month contract and you registering to live there. So on top of 1 month cooperation by the Airbnb owner/agent to sign a rental contract for 30 days

1 Like