Does anyone else here make assumptions about forumosans gender based on their forum handle

First of all I don’t personally know many people here anymore so im not trying to out or ID anyone.
…but for some reason I automatically assign a gender and personality type based on your id on the forum.
I was going to give an example but in a rare instance of self editing I decided against it but I bet there are farrrrrr less women here than I imagine.

I assume everyone on the English-speaking internet to be male in his thirties from the US. No matter their handle.

This forum, however, seems to consist more of animals than of humans - so assuming the gender get‘s more difficult.

But what can I say - I‘m just a dirty old piece of IT equipment :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’d be hard to assume that someone named @BiggusDickus is a woman. :smirk:

I’ve made gender mistakes on other forums, but there’s not really many women here. I guess I assumed @Icon was the man in her avatar for a short while since I’m not plugged into celebrity culture, but I caught on pretty quick. More often than gender, I’ve been surprised by a poster being ABC or ABT after assuming they were Caucasian… or being surprised at how old or young someone is.

7 Likes

What’s my gender?

It can and will happen. And I don’t perceive it as something bad per se. If someone gives me her/his/their preferred pronouns I’ll address them by that. Otherwise I’ll work with the information I have.

1 Like

Female

Well, if you don’t know, try this:

1 Like

Why is your Z button living where the Y button should?

Ze German keyboard

3 Likes

Y ” is not really used in “native German ” words but gets retained in international words of Greek-origin (such as “Physik”, “Sympathie” and “Psychologie”) where the “ y ” is generally pronounced the same as “ü”.

1 Like

White American male, English teacher, aged 26-34, cigarette smoker, liberal political leanings, fan of Rage Against the Machine due to Forumosa handle. I don’t get your avatar picture of Taiwan’s 7-11 mascot Open-Jiang, the cartoon dog from space. A bit too cutesy. Perhaps the rainbow afro indicates sexual preference.

5 Likes

Baaahahaa! Pretty much dead on, but I quit smoking awhile ago. The pic I chose was completely random - someone mentioned they were getting my generic R mixed up with someone else so I put this up. No significance.
I am willing to bet a large portion of foreigners are the same race, have similar political ideas and are in the same age range as I am so that was a safe bet to guess.

2 Likes

Here’s a good one for you.

Unless of course you’re into cycling and that’s what your handle is, Bombtrack bikes.

1 Like

Bad Ass!!!

1 Like

This quiz rules.

2 Likes

zie/zim/zir/zis/zieself

That’s because they didn’t have “funny looking kid with a big nose” as one of he possible answers.
:rofl:

2 Likes