Does anyone know about the 3 dress bride thing come from?

Hi,

I have asked many local in Taiwan, no one could explain, neither came up with a clear explanation about the “traddition” of the bride having to change dress 3 or 5 or more time for her wedding party. My parents-in-law (they got married in 1973) told me it was not a custom at that time.

It seems to be happening only in Taiwan.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot ! :slight_smile:

The more dresses she wears, the more the wedding shop charges.

And wearing more dresses necessitates the taking of more photos. Taking more photos earns the photographer more money and eventually gets you to buy this huge wedding album from the same shop/photographer because all the photos look so damn good it’s difficult not to choose them all. And the more you choose, the more you pay.

See, it’s a cleverly designed plot.

Anubis,

Thanks !
I know that. I am not talking about what is it for… I am asking when did it sart, how did it start, where did it start, …

Is it, for example, because in Chinese Wedding traddtion, the bride has to wear a red dress and when people in Asia became attracted by the western White Wedding dress, wanted it for their wedding, they decide to go for the two dresses first, but in Chinese traddition, two is not so good, so they went for 3 dresses…??? I am just making assumption, here. Any body knos more about it.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“Anubis”]The more dresses she wears, the more the wedding shop charges.

And wearing more dresses necessitates the taking of more photos. Taking more photos earns the photographer more money and eventually gets you to buy this huge wedding album from the same shop/photographer because all the photos look so damn good it’s difficult not to choose them all. And the more you choose, the more you pay.[/quote]

Except the photos are all taken well before the wedding in a studio, not at the wedding itself. They charge an arm and a leg because they have a captive clientele who believe they have to have such glossy, colorful photo albums because they’re an ancient tradition going back thousands of years. (I’d like to see some archaeologist unearth a 3000-year-old photo album, complete with nonsense English poems printed in them! It’d be a trip!

[quote=“Chris”]
I’d like to see some archaeologist unearth a 3000-year-old photo album, complete with nonsense English poems printed in them! It’d be a trip![/quote]

Like the love song I saw in one album with the lyrics, “How can I tell you about…him.” Yes, it was a song about a woman who could no get over a previous lover and didn’t know how to break it to her current one. :laughing:

Isn’t this just the cult of “me, me, me kawa-ii”, meets “big money = big face”, meets a public without any sense of consumer rights, and easily taken in by trends and marketing (think: lines at donut shops)?

Gleeful, unselfconscious vanity + conspicuous consumption + ridiculously gullible/malleable public.

[quote=“philoutw”]Hi,

I have asked many local in Taiwan, no one could explain, neither came up with a clear explanation about the “traddition” of the bride having to change dress 3 or 5 or more time for her wedding party. My parents-in-law (they got married in 1973) told me it was not a custom at that time.

It seems to be happening only in Taiwan.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot ! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Actually, it started in Japan and the Taiwanese faithfully copied their former colonial masters. It because big here in the late 1960s early 1970s.

The studio I used to work at on Chung Shan N. Rd in Taipei had more than 8,000 dresses. It’s a racket, nothing more, nothing less. Taiwanese companies manufacture and export wedding dresses that sell for less than $200US in America. The same dress will rent here for $15,000NT for 2 days.

Did you by any chance, er, write a book on this?