Does anyone know how to play a violin?

Folks, just a quickie to ask: Does anyone know how to play a violin?
I’m thinking about taking a violin lesson with someone. But I don’t want to spend too much money cause I can’t afford it , and basically I don’t have too much personal time because of my busy work. :notworthy:

Takes a LOOOONG time to learn how to play the fiddle – and that’s if you practice every day for at least a couple of hours. There’s no short-cuts. If you can’t set aside at least two hours every day, you’ll be wasting your time and your money.

[quote=“sandman”]
Takes a LOOOONG time to learn how to play the fiddle – and that’s if you practice every day for at least a couple of hours. There’s no short-cuts. If you can’t set aside at least two hours every day, you’ll be wasting your time and your money.[/quote]

I know. Practice make perfect. Sure. I will find time for the fiddle.
But now I need a person to teach me. :help:

Takes a LOOOONG time to learn how to play the fiddle. . .[/quote]

My mom’s been playing it for 68 years, practices fairly regularly, attends workshops, plays with friends and still complains about her weaknesses. I have no idea how that relates to you (she’s not available to give lessons in Taiwan), but when you asked if anyone plays the violin I had to mention my mom.

Sandman’s right that any instrument requires a lot of regular practice, which is why I can’t play any of the various instruments that I took lessons for years ago. And of course your neighbors will hate you for taking up any instrument. But if you’re really serious then there should be many local places offering lessons.

Thanks, Mother Theresa. I hope I can find a person to teach me.
I can find a place to practice and that won’t be a problem. :rainbow:

I think all you need to do is put the big end under your chin and then scratch along the strings with that long stick.

I prefer my method: hold the violin with bow in hand, then play a record of some violin concerto, and close your eyes. A much more pleasant experience.
the early years of violin playing are really horrible. I don’t recommend it unless you like to see your children in pain. plus, it’s too late for us adults. there’s no hope in learning. give up now.

The first part is true. But its never too late and there is certainly hope for adults. I’ve taught myself how to play several instruments (albeit fairly badly, but then, I’m easily satisfied :wink: ) as an adult. Its just harder than it is for a kid, that’s all.
I agree though, listening to a beginner on the fiddle is nearly as bad as listening to a beginning sax player!

I don’t think that adult can’t learn to play instrucment . It’s just a bit difficult. I’m just trying to find something to do to kill time, but that doesn’t mean I’m not series. I’m always interested in music. And I’d like to give it a try.

So go for it. I suggest that you visit a musical instrument store and ask the sales clerk about teachers. They’re bound to know of several.
There’s a shop on Heping East Road, just one building to the east of Roosevelt road on the second floor that specializes in violins, cellos, etc.
There’s another one on Fuxing S. Road very close to the intersection with Hsinhai Rd. They’re on the ground floor and the shop is jammed full of instruments. It looks like they specialize in student instruments, so you should be able to find something to suit your purse there.

I play the violin! See: :boo-hoo:

Yep, no kidding. I saw that too. :raspberry: