Does anyone like drawing/painting/other types of visual art?

I like it !
Just today in class we were talking about how famous artists spend years trying to master how to draw like children do, subconsciously.

Picasso often gets knocked for that quote about Raphael, and it was a bit arrogant. Having said that, here’s what he knocked up at the age of 8:

https://www.pablo-ruiz-picasso.net/work-261.php

good stuff kids!

some of artists in the taiwan urban drawing group on facebook are really amazing. i;ve been drawing seriously for 18 years and its been my only job for quite a few yrs now too but i’m not any good at that sort of thing. i think its because i had to do it in uni so in learning how to do it properly it took all the fun out of doing it my way.

My entire life is a work of performance art.

And everybody’s a critic?

If I’m honest I have been mostly hating this fabric project, but I’ll cautiously admit that I enjoyed drawing my favorite jeans today.

2 Likes

The reviews have been decidedly mixed.

Good. Try playing with your light source. It’ll pop the folds.

I do batik
image image image image

8 Likes

These are soooo sick. How did you learn the technique?

1 Like

Soooo much trial and error. I’ve since found a few folks on Instagram that do similar stuff, but no tutorials anywhere.

I was bored and happened to befriend an abstract artist and after talking a while about creativity and the process and why and how actively being creative is good for you I now paint.

The bottom two hang in my office at school. When kids get stressed out they look for faces, mostly pandas in number three although we found a fully formed ninja with a sword on his back accidentally when I turned it one day.

Good stuff.

BTW, my other friend, a teacher who paints paints water color on dried used tea bags. Pretty cool stuff.

3 Likes

I think you’re right about learning “how” ruining some of the fun. I just draw any way I can. I never had any lessons in art. Well, I did go to one watercolor class in Taiwan once, but I quit after the second lesson because the teacher was so embarrassed. He just didn’t know what to say because evidently everyone else knew the “proper” way to draw each fruit in the still life, and there I was just sort of making some marks and throwing some color on. It was just kinder to stop coming…

1 Like

It can be helpful to learn the basics, but nobody has to do it any particular way. Ultimately art is whatever you make it, whatever makes you happy. Freedom!

1 Like

2 Likes