Does anyone order from iHerb? Custom fees? (and other US vitamin/supplement shops)

That’s oddly reassuring! If you couldn’t manage it with your language skills, there’s no way I could have done it. But I guess I should try with the passport. Last time I tried, I figured “OK, never mind, I’ll worry about this if it becomes a problem.” But so far it hasn’t. Touch wood.

I, too, have been using SF Express. Delivery times have ranged from 3 to 10 days. The amount SF reports on the parcel sticker as “declared value for customs” is the total price of the products after discounts (but before deduction of loyalty credit) PLUS shipping fee, if any. So far I’ve managed to thread the needle, but, yeah, it’s a major pain.

1 Like

Ah, thanks - I hadn’t noticed that before. That helps with the calculations.

EDIT: Huh, nope, it doesn’t seem that simple. That math works for one of my recent packages, with free shipping; but it’s off for another package, which I did need to pay shipping for.

Now that you mention it, I recall one shipment last year when I ran into the same thing. The only thing I could figure was that SF Express included in the “declared value” the amount that it had charged iHerb for shipping (about $1.50 IIRC). I tossed out my records for the first half of last year, so I can’t offer the details. I can only guess that in your situation the shipping fee included in the declared value was what SF Express charged iHerb (vs. the amount you were charged).

I’ve only once been hit with an import tariff, that’s when I ordered some essential oils from the UK. Value written on the parcel 80$ but they disputed that in customs. Anyway I paid a little money but more annoying was having to go over there in working hours to get them. I have a musical instrument coming through DHL this week I’m worried they will try to charge me tax on that. I’ll keep interested parties updated !

I’m considering placing an iHerb order for well in excess of NT2,000. Does anyone know what procedure SF Express uses to collect duty (e.g., will they accept cash or credit card for duty upon delivery, or is it something more complicated and troublesome?) and whether or not they charge a processing fee?

I’ve just looked and can’t find any information - I’m sure we’ll all be curious here what happens if you try to do this! For the tariffs etc., my main concern has always been the hassle rather than the money, although that may change in a hurry once I discover how much extra money is involved.

Unless you have reason not to, break it into two orders. You’ll probably save money in the end.

+1, struggling to see the point of adding them to together. On iHerb with SF express if you come close to 2000 you can get free delivery anyway. Watch out for those loyalty credits, apparently they are not deducted when assessing against the 2000. The reason I say apparently is I wouldn’t know as I’m always just under the limit. I did go over the iHerb limit with DHL once, it was not a pleasant experience…

Can you expand on that? What actually happens? Do you need to go somewhere, or can it all be handled by email?

Can all be handled on email. You get an email from DHL, asking for your passport/ARC deets for the customs inspections. From memory there was some crappy app, which didn’t work with my ARC (do waiguoren IDs ever work in any Taiwan designed system?). I’m sure you will end up on the phone with them. They give you an estimate of the cost. There is an additional cost DHL will charge for advancing the customs duty payment for you. You pay the DHL courier in cash (how else right, it is Taiwan after all).

2 Likes

I also have similar experience with DHL, FedEx and UPS. Basically I could handle their fee via bank transfer just asking them for their bank code and account number. Then the payment can be done quite fast with web ATM for example.

I was pretty shocked when I needed to mail something with dhl this year they didn’t take credit card. Dhl all over the world accepts credit card but not here.

1 Like

Very true, and some people here have said that shipping also counts toward the $2000 threshold.

As for the unpleasant experience, I’ve also had to do it, right after the threshold was lowered. There was no app. I was contacted by email by a DHL rep who seemed to be Taiwanese. I had to upload my passport, maybe ARC, and fill in some information on some form. It was unpleasant, but getting a package from LuckyVitamin is worse.

Pro-tip: The threshold is $2000 and you’re allowed 6 orders within 6 months (1st 6 months and 2nd 6 months of the year). This is tracked by name and address. Many companies that ship internationally have free or cheap shipping for smaller packages. You can go over the 6 shipment limit by using a different name and/or address. Most of the time, the shippers call you when they deliver, so you can have it shipped across the hall or to another floor. Or to your office or school. The name might be a problem if you’re not married. I haven’t tried using totally fake names, but you can get away with using a similar name (Tom for Thomas) if you’re ordering from a place that will accept a different shipping and billing name.

Proer-tip: Use your wife’s name or a willing friend’s name if you have either. I have one of those. As long as you don’t go over the $2000 threshold, ID numbers don’t factor into it. The only trackers are name and address. The shippers don’t care about who you are. As long as someone answers the phone and puts their

on the tiny signature screen, they’re basically fine. The rest, as far as they’re concerned, is only for tactical purposes.
As a caveat, I’m not a lawyer, I’m not qualified to offer legal advice, and I’m on holiday so I’ve been drinking.

2 Likes

I just checked, between July and Dec I made 11 iHerb orders. Am I getting a great whopping bill in the mail?

Probably not. If you were going to be charged, it would have been at the time of the last 5 orders of the year. That is based on what was reported in focustaiwan.tw, which is a gov’t news service, but not an official source. It was stated that orders would be traced based on name and address. I guess they’re not very good at it yet, or you got lucky. You used the same name and address every time?

Maybe Taiwan’s ‘fintech’ innovators can start with the low hanging fruit like this!

Aye. Thanks for this info, maybe they will slug me at tax time instead. Taiwan bureaucrats love setting little traps up like this.

Has anyone here faced charges on the seventh shipment of a half-year? I’ve asked about this before and I believe no one responded positively - now I’m wondering if this is something that actually happens or not.

Judging by the vast number of posts here, iherb seems to be very popular. I did not think they were that great,and the website could not handle registration for non-US citizens. It did not accept my ARC number either.
Anyway, in my opinion for what it’s worth, you’d be better off buying items individually on ebay. Bulk orders from iherb are an invitation for Customs to rain on your parade.