Does anyone use portfolios with Chinese study?

I’m curious if anyone is using portfolios for their independent/classroom Chinese language learning? I realize that learning any language can sometimes be overwhelming and with no end in sight. I recently learned that using portfolios with any type of language acquisition can be helpful to meet goals. does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/comments?

Please explain some more. I’m not sure what you mean by a “portfolio”.

Like CEF framework portfolios. Google ‘Language assport’.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Like CEF framework portfolios. Google ‘Language [color=#FF0000]
ass
[/color]port’.[/quote]
Do you mean Language [color=#FF0000]
pass
[/color]port?

Is it this? Or this?

Christ, I need a latop with p keys that work! :laughing: Sorry, didn’t mean to lower the tone yet again. Was trying to give info.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eur … evelopment

cilt.org.uk/home/standards_a … folio.aspx

Edit didn’t notice your links. Yes, that’s what I meant. I assume that’s what the OP was referring to. Maybe not?

You can get Euro-style can do statements for Chinese from Asset languages.

Please explain some more. I’m not sure what you mean by a “portfolio”.[/quote]
A portfolio is similar to book keeping but it’s intended for the classroom. The student keeps whatever assignments they completed throughout their study and maintains organization of the portfolio in order to be able to see how far they’ve come in terms of progress with their language study. This serves as a system that inspires the student to engage in more confident and meaningful study.

No, I’ve never used anything remotely similar. I can still easily recall asking how to say ‘why’, in 1993, and my landlady-roomate pointing at a table and saying zhuo1zi, zhuo1zi in 1994, which is enough to remind me how far I’ve come. What has inspired me to “engage in more confident and meaningful study” has never been a system of organization of materials. Rather, it has always been factors like the mystery of the language itself, the need for practical communication, a passion for languages and a deep desire to pursue continual intellectual growth.

and the wife nagging at you in chinese :wink:

[quote=“Buttercup”]Christ, I need a latop with p keys that work! :laughing: Sorry, didn’t mean to lower the tone yet again. Was trying to give info.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eur … evelopment

cilt.org.uk/home/standards_a … folio.aspx

Edit didn’t notice your links. Yes, that’s what I meant. I assume that’s what the OP was referring to. Maybe not?

You can get Euro-style can do statements for Chinese from Asset languages.[/quote]
:blush: I think it’s safe to assume I’ve never used anything like that.

From the links it seems interesting.

Being myself completely uninterested in such things I go with a system. What I do is write down almost every useful sentence or word I learn and keep them listed alphabetically in microsoft word. The sentences are transcribed from tape recordings I make of people saying the things I want to learn. Here is an example taken pretty much at random…

Pace – su4du4
You3Shi4Hou3 naN2 TING1 de* dong3
biE2 reN Yong4 pu3TONG de* Su4Du4
JIANG1Hua4. ke3shi3 ni3 YING1GAI1
XI1Guan4 TING1 biE2 ren2 Yong4 pu3Tong4
De* Su4Du4 JIANG1 Hua4

Jiang3Hua4 pu3TONG! De* Su4Du4.
Pacific Ocean – tai4ping2yang2
Page – ye4
Si4 ye4 dou1 xie3 man3 de5
shi2hou4 wo3 jiu4 ting2zhi3
(turn the) – fan1 ye4
Fan1 dao4 di4 san1 ye4.
(Turn to page three.)
Pain – teng2
Paint (n) – you2qi1
Paint (a painting) – hua4
(a house…) you3qi1
Liang3 tian1 qian2 wo3 wan2cheng2
you2qi1 wo3 de5 fang2jian1.
(I finished painting my house 2
days ago.)
Paint brush – mao2bi3
Pair – pei4dui4
You3sheng1 zi3yin1 wu3
sheng1 zi3yin4 pei4dui4.
Page – ye4
Panic – jing1huang1
Panning shot – xuan2zhuan3
pai1she4
Panic - jing1huang1
Paper – zhi3
Wo3 ke3yi3 you3 yi4 zhang1
zhi3 ma5?
Wo3 bu2 yao4 lang4fei4 zhi3.
(I don’t want to waste paper.)
Paradox – si4 shi4 er2 fei1
Paragraph – duan4
Part – bu4fen4
( ~ time) – gong1du2 shen4
You3 yi2 bu4 fen4 hen3 hao3 kan4.
(parts of it were good)
Parts of Speech - ge4zhong3
ci2lei4
Party – pai4dui4
Pass by/ through) – jing1guo4
Wo3men5 hui4 jing1guo4
hao3 duo1 hao3 piao4liang5
de5 fang2zi5.
(We will pass by many
beautiful homes.)
(s.t. over) – chuang2gei3
( ~ word) – mi4ma3
(a ~ course etc.) – tong1guo4
Wo3 xi1wang4 ni3 hui4
tong1guo4 na4 ge5 kao3shi4.
Passenger – lu3ke4
( ~ counter) lu3ke4 gui4tai2
Passion – re4qing2
Passionate – re4qing2 de5/
ren2xin1
qin1 re4 de guan1xi4
(passionate relationship)
Passionate about art – Le4Ai4 Yi4Shu4
Passive – bei4dong4
Password – mi4ma3
Past – guo qu4
( ~ form) – guo4qu4

That is not a particularly good example because there are not enough useful sentences. I try to recycle words, of course. As I go forward in life I find myself in situations similar to the ones I was in previously and can dig back and look at what I learned before. It is A LOT easier the second or third time.

I am eventually going to take it to a book press and have it printed out with lots of space for new words, sentences…

I’ll crosss out the words as they get printed into the computer.