Does illegal teaching go on a lot

Does illegal teaching go on a lot in Taiwan or has everyone got work permits and degrees etc?

If you haven’t got a degree or a work permit, or if you can’t get a work permit because you haven’t got a degree, you can teach legally if you are married or if you have permanent residency visa. Otherwise, you’ll have to take your chances and work illegally. Lots of people do it and get away with it for years, but of course it is not recommended, so if you are thinking about going down this route then be prepared to take the consequences, which will be swift deportation if caught.

Yes, it does.

As SuperHans says, if you get caught you will get deported (plus a small fine). It’s not really much of a deterrent, IMO. The authorities don’t even seem to bother chasing up the few people they catch for unpaid taxes. It’s almost as if they don’t really care :whistle: :smiley:

Every school I have ever worked for in the past couple years has wanted me to get a work permit. They seem more scared than b4 I even had to get a work permit for 6 hours at a school they insisted… They said the fine they can receive is too large to risk. Does anyone know the amount of the fine ?

You would be limited to very few probably schools and competing with the 1000 Chinese students here for those few crappy hours. Not easy to find a job with a degree here, you would be even more limited than that. Definitely not a life for anyone, I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone. Not to mention deportations, no health insurance,no visa.

Even if you have a degree and work permit, you may end up teaching kindy which is illegal, and most teachers find that out the moment their boss comes running in and throws them out the window or shove them into a cupboard. If you do teach kindy…DON’T Let them put pictures of you up on blogs or put you on any ads for the school.

Is the sky blue?

the sky is actually not blue here:D

What color is it then?

Authority: I’m shocked, shocked to find that foreigners are teaching kindy English here.

Admin: Your son is waiting for you in the lobby.

Authority: Oh thank you very much.

Yes. However, most of the illegal teachers do have an ARC at a legal school and do illegal sidejobs. Getting booted is the worst that can happen. There’s no jail time AFAIK.

Get your ARC and do your minimum hours and then get your supplemental hours. This was much easier before the idiotic internet forum world of paranoia came about. :unamused:

When I first got to Taiwan I was teaching at a cram school illegally (no ARC/work permit/Taiwanese citizenship).

Fortunately I look Taiwanese (born in Taiwan, moved to the US when I was 3), so when the police did come by one day, they skipped my class.

Turns out, a competing cram school called the police on my cram school.

How many of those English tutoring ads on Tealit do you think come from legal providers?

I think there is a paranoia about illegal private teaching. Unless your own students are snitches to the police, what’s the real risk? Cops need to see you literally make a hand-to-hand transaction, so you could literally teach right in front of the police here and face no consequences unless he saw you accept cash from a “student.”

Google said: The fine is from NT$150,000 to NT$750,000.

What color is it then?[/quote]
grey unless you’re outside a major city

[quote=“ehophi”]How many of those English tutoring ads on Tealit do you think come from legal providers?

I think there is a paranoia about illegal private teaching. Unless your own students are snitches to the police, what’s the real risk? Cops need to see you literally make a hand-to-hand transaction, so you could literally teach right in front of the police here and face no consequences unless he saw you accept cash from a “student.”[/quote]

I would say 75% are from legal providers. The police do not need to see you accept money from your employer. All they need to do is find you in front of the students. Or, if they are feeling really picky, on the premises at all.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“ehophi”]How many of those English tutoring ads on Tealit do you think come from legal providers?

I think there is a paranoia about illegal private teaching. Unless your own students are snitches to the police, what’s the real risk? Cops need to see you literally make a hand-to-hand transaction, so you could literally teach right in front of the police here and face no consequences unless he saw you accept cash from a “student.”[/quote]

I would say 75% are from legal providers. The police do not need to see you accept money from your employer. All they need to do is find you in front of the students. Or, if they are feeling really picky, on the premises at all.[/quote]

I was referencing private, one-on-one teaching, wherein you are your own employer who receives cash under the table for tutoring.

See here: tealit.com/ad_categories.php … ent_mode=2

[quote=“ehophi”]I was referencing private, one-on-one teaching, wherein you are your own employer who receives cash under the table for tutoring.

See here: tealit.com/ad_categories.php … ent_mode=2[/quote]

Yes and many of those are ROC Citizens or perhaps those with JFRV or APRC’s… nothing illegal about that is there?

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“ehophi”]I was referencing private, one-on-one teaching, wherein you are your own employer who receives cash under the table for tutoring.

Yes and many of those are ROC Citizens or perhaps those with JFRV or APRC’s… nothing illegal about that is there?[/quote]
My understanding is that it is still illegal, but the chances of you being caught are NaDa.
In Korea the situation is different. It is perfectly legal to teach Kindy there. However, privates are a no-no. Dave’s ESL Cafe doesn’t even allow ads for privates in Korea.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“ehophi”]I was referencing private, one-on-one teaching, wherein you are your own employer who receives cash under the table for tutoring.

Yes and many of those are ROC Citizens or perhaps those with JFRV or APRC’s… nothing illegal about that is there?[/quote]
My understanding is that it is still illegal, but the chances of you being caught are NaDa.[/quote]
Why is it illegal if you have an open work permit? Only if you don’t declare the income for tax…

This is absurd. No-one teaches illegally. Why? Because it is illegal!