Does it ever go to your head?

How much more handsome/beautiful do you feel here?

• I’ve always been ridiculously good looking, so no different.
  • People look at me as slightly more attractive than at home.
  • People look at me as slightly less attractive than at home.
  • People look at me as much more attractive than at home.
  • I’m a hottie at home, but don’t get much attention here.

0 voters

Sometimes, I start to think I’m handsome.

Girls will look at me and smile in a “you’re cute” way. Just yesterday as I was walking across the street a high school girl (16-17ish) said “Hi”. Since I didn’t think she would be talking to me I just turned and went my own way, then she repeated “Hi…HI… HI!” as I was walking away and her friends with her started giggling. By this time I knew she was talking to me, but felt it would be embarrasing to turn and talk so I kept going as if I didn’t know she was talking to me. Then she and her friends called out together: “Handsome Boy!”

Then I realize it’s just because I’m in a place where I’m different. Honestly, I’m not good looking. I’m not butt-ugly either, but I’d never get that sort of response in the States. I don’t look athletic or have a memorable face. I could get a date, but based on charm rather than looks.

So, I have to wonder, how many foreigners come here and start thinking they really are good looking when they’d never feel that way at home? It’s got to go to someone’s head.

Your thoughts?

I’m totally invisible back home. Being blonde with blue eyes I was HOT in Taiwan :smiley:

But some foreigners liked me too. I still don’t have an explanation to that :s

[quote=“Notsu”]I’m totally invisible back home. Being blonde with blue eyes I was HOT in Taiwan :smiley:

But some foreigners liked me too. I still don’t have an explanation to that :s[/quote]
Smaller dating pool. Even though there are lots of cute Taiwanese here, the selection of foreigners is smaller.

They seem to give this same look to 2-month old Golden Retrievers. :blush:

puiwaihin, is that you in your avatar?

But, yeah, I know what you mean. I will look in disbelief most of the time when my Taiwanese girlfriends point out a foreign guy and say “Wow, he’s cute!”, and vice versa. I once took them to this place to show them a Taiwanese guy I thought was gorgeous (yes, literally took them there for that purpose only). One of them said: “He looks like a monkey!” And that wasn’t the worst remark either. They still ask me from time to time “How’s your Monkey Boy?” :unamused: I still think he’s gorgeous.

Standards are different. It’s all relative anyway. Makes life interesting.

I’m pretty standard back home.

But here, I’m just another fat western woman. I haven’t been hit on once by Taiwanese boys or girls :frowning:

Luckily I’m hooked up alread, otherwise I’d be a prime candidate for ‘bitter western woman’ syndrome.

I am handsome! I am not big or athletic. I have a big nose. I am shy though.

Ok, I am average.

:blush: some of the “guys” on forumosa have shown interest in the past. :blush: :blush: I am not gay.

Hell yeah! I step off of the plane in Asia and wham-o instant handsome. I’ve even modeled here! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s a hoot. Does it go to my head? No. My gal’s great at deflating an swelling of the ego.

I can’t believe I’m the only one who answered “A.” What’s the matter with you people? :wink:

[quote=“Notsu”]I still don’t have an explanation to that[/quote]Because you’re hot, dummy! And sharp. And sly (in a good way). And funny.

I was a dancer/host at an upscale club back home. And part of my job entailed asking the best looking guys/girls for their numbers so they could be invited to some of our exclusive parties.

Let me recap…I was paid to ask hot chicks for their numbers…and they were happy to give them since they knew I was the host and not just some guy.

I had sex with more women in the 1 month before I came here…than in the 8 years that I’ve been here.

I might be “better” looking here…but you can’t compare ‘good looks’ to ‘dancing’ when it comes to meeting women. And western women love a man that can dance.

sizzle baby sizzle :moon:

It’s all in the mind anyway. :rainbow:

On a good day I look like I’ve been in a car wreck. It was the same back home. Old women and kids cross the road to avoid me. Nothing changes, even when I wash more. My SO’s eyesight is poor. We have a great relationship because of this.

[quote=“tash”]I once took them to this place to show them a Taiwanese guy I thought was gorgeous (yes, literally took them there for that purpose only). One of them said: “He looks like a monkey!” And that wasn’t the worst remark either. They still ask me from time to time “How’s your Monkey Boy?” :unamused: I still think he’s gorgeous.
[/quote]

He did look like a monkey… Well not quite like a monkey but there’s nothing gorgeous about a man-size frozen frog either :wink:

Oook. He was ok. But he did look frozen, can’t take that back. Guess you stunned him. :slight_smile:

Aye. But it doesn’t show my wasitline. My body’s about average for an American, but by standards here I’m definitely fat.

[quote=“puiwaihin”][quote=“Notsu”]I’m totally invisible back home. Being blonde with blue eyes I was HOT in Taiwan :smiley:

But some foreigners liked me too. I still don’t have an explanation to that :s[/quote]
Smaller dating pool. Even though there are lots of cute Taiwanese here, the selection of foreigners is smaller.[/quote]

Nah… She is just plain HOT. I don’t believe that she isn’t turning heads back home, too.

Where’s the “I was doing alright back home. People look at me like I’ve grown a second head here.” option?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Where’s the “I was doing alright back home. People look at me like I’ve grown a second head here.” option?[/quote]You need answers. :wink:

bobepine

I find those comments super annoying. They do swell the head. Half the time I wonder if they’re doing that to accomplish the head swelling (big head). “Let’s screw with the foreigner’s head.” I find that they say that just about every foreigner is beautiful. A Chinese Teacher was talking to me once about this Canadian woman who’s all worn out looking and looks like an old hooker. Pretty scary looking. She said, “Oh. She’s so beautiful.” I just looked at her funny and said, “You guys say that all of us are beautiful.” She was always saying that I was so handsome and wondering why I didn’t have a girlfriend. I cannot say to this day if she wanted to go out with me. I didn’t really get that vibe or didn’t really want anything to do with her anyway.

Definitely. The bigger they swell your head the more fun it is to pop later. Oldest trick in the Chinese book and it just keeps working…

When a Taiwanese says I’m handsome I tell him or her (I must happen to attract all kinds :unamused: ) that they should travel more. :smiley:

I also mention that David Hasslehof lives in Yangmei! :astonished: