Does it really cost that much to look like a hockey mom?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Can I make a pseudo-intellectual post that illustrates my own curiousity as well? :laughing: :laughing: You know, I am very interested about how much it really costs to look like a sofa. :smiling_imp:

[/quote]
Either one of those, I wouldn’t mind falling asleep on while watching TV.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
Either one of those, I wouldn’t mind falling asleep on while watching TV.[/quote]

Wouldn’t Michelle feel left out?

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
Either one of those, I wouldn’t mind falling asleep on while watching TV.[/quote]

Wouldn’t Michelle feel left out?[/quote]
She might be a little disappointed. You know what they say, “Once you go Barack…”

Now that we all know Bill Ayers is the mastermind behind the Bobby Kennedy assassination, we can get on to some real business, right? My point has nothing to do with who is good or bad. The point I am trying to make is that Ms. Palin, we are told, is the quintessential hockey mom. But she dresses like a princess. Not only did no one seem to notice this until the numbers were put in their face, the assumption seems to be that a hockey mom can wear thousand dollar dresses and be made up by a master, and still be a hockey mom.

I didn’t notice it either, so whatever bad there is in this, I am just as bad as our friends who think it’s OK if the VP of the USA doesn’t believe in science unless it’s for killing animals and refining petroleum. But how is it believable for someone dressed like a princess to call themselves a hockey mom just because they’re supposed to be an important person?

It’s interesting to me the Republicans seemed to know these were not contradictions. I suppose it’s not surprising given the Republicans on this thread seem to think it’s OK.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]

Wouldn’t Michelle feel left out?[/quote]
She might be a little disappointed. You know what they say, “Once you go Barack…”[/quote]

:roflmao:
Still trying to clean the keyboard and monitor.
Thanks, Doc!

No one ever said he was involved in the assassination in any way. Don’t be silly. However, it is disturbing that the Ayers and his associates dedicated the book to Sirhan, don’t you think?

I played hockey in Southwest Calgary for years growing up. There were lots of hockey moms with nice Holt Renfew clothing. To me a hockey mom is someone who loves family, hockey, participaction, and giving back to the community. A mother who doesn’t mind waking up at 5am to drive her kids out to the hockey arena for practice at 7am. This is not someone you can pidgeonhole in a class or as having to look a certain way. There are trailer trash hockey moms, middle class hockey moms, and moneyed hockey moms. I guess the hockey moms in your neck of the woods wore pink sweatpants and chain smoked? :laughing: :wink:

I think your premise is flawed a bit there, OP, sorry.

They weren’t trying to make a hockey mom appear like a hockey mom, but as something she most certainly is NOT - an experienced, knowledgeable, put-together politician with the poise and persona of somebody capable of running the country. (And just think how low THAT standard has fallen in the last 8 years!)

This New York Times article describes in detail how they actually picked Palin. McCain had very little to do with it. His campaign managers thought she’d look best on the cover of magazines and actually SAID that was their criteria! In their eyes it’s all about presenting pretty, shiny objects to the stupid American voters rather than qualifications.

It didn’t even occur to them they were undercutting their primary argument against Obama & his lack of experience. How inept can they be?!?

That they intend to donate/auction the used items for charity is admirable and to be expected and demanded by the taxpayers. Perhaps they will return a large chunk of that $150,000 in clothing that was unused …

The fact remains that they spent more on clothing for one person than the average American family makes in a year. Obama’s budget for clothing & for his campaign: zero. Michelle wears Gap and H&M, and the DNC only pays for hair/makeup costs for interviews.

As for other reasons to knock Palin:
I don’t want anybody running the country with less education than me. It took her FOUR separate 4th-tier state schools (on the 5-year plan) to get a Bachelor’s in Journalism/Communication??? She has zero education beyond that. An undergrad minor in political science from Idaho does NOT qualify somebody to be president! Hell, I probably have about as much managerial & leadership experience as she does too.

She’s ALREADY facing numerous allegations of corruption, graft, improper use of funds, improper use of power in office, etc, that predate her selection as McCain’s running mate (so these aren’t trumped up charges!)
She has also proven willing to go back and attempt to fix the records in her favor to prove that her 15y.o. daughter somehow really WAS qualified to travel on official business & tax dollars. (Actually, these things may prove she IS ready to be VP).

McCain is toast, and he can thank Palin. At least she’ll look good during the concession speeches :laughing:

No one ever said he was involved in the assassination in any way. Don’t be silly. However, it is disturbing that the Ayers and his associates dedicated the book to Sirhan, don’t you think? [/quote]

I think if you go back and have a look at the posts in question, you’ll find that it’s not clear at all what you were saying. Now that I know what you meant to say, do I find it disturbing? At the time, left-wing elements believed Sirhan Sirhan was being used in a CIA mind control experiment and that his incarceration was a political act. I think that’s ridiculous, but at the time there were very understandable reasons to believe this. I look at it like pretty much all of that Weather Underground stuff; the sort of thing a bunch of naive, immature, but affluent kids used to thinking they can do anything they want and be impressive, might come up with. And judging from the interviews, Bill Ayers thinks something along those lines, as well.

I played hockey in Southwest Calgary for years growing up. There were lots of hockey moms with nice Holt Renfew clothing. To me a hockey mom is someone who loves family, hockey, participation, and giving back to the community. A mother who doesn’t mind waking up at 5am to drive her kids out to the hockey arena for practice at 7am. This is not someone you can pidgeonhole in a class or as having to look a certain way. There are trailer trash hockey moms, middle class hockey moms, and moneyed hockey moms. I guess the hockey moms in your neck of the woods wore pink sweatpants and chain smoked? :laughing: :wink:[/quote]

This is a great confession, perhaps it will lead to another post about the definition of a hockey mom. My interpretation of the “hockey mom” stuff is a little different. Rather than a branding ploy to make her seem more charitable with her time, it’s meant to make her seem more ordinary. She’s certainly not saying she’s the hockey version of Lori Milken.

Oh dear, forget the clothes . . .

[quote]During the weekend Mrs Palin had to deal with more ridicule after The New York Times reported that the highest-paid person on the McCain campaign this month was Mrs Palin’s travelling make-up artist, Amy Strozzi.

According to filings with the Federal Election Commission, Ms Strozzi was paid $US22,800 ($36,800) for the first two weeks of October - more than Senator McCain’s chief foreign affairs adviser, Randy Scheunemann. Angela Lew, Mrs Palin’s travelling hair stylist, received $US10,000 in the same period.

It follows revelations last week that the campaign had spent $US150,000 at upmarket department stores to equip Mrs Palin with a chic wardrobe for the campaign trail. The expensive wardrobe did not sit comfortably with her image as a “hockey mom”. [/quote]

Indeed, don’t even worry about the makeup and hair stylists, not when the hockey mum goes slapshot on McCain . . .

Aw c’mon, honey, let’s stay together . . . for the kids.

Come to think of it, that doesn’t look like a US$22,800 hairstyle.

Do you think she’s got cuts in silly government spending in mind?

HG

[quote=“ScottSommers”]
I think if you go back and have a look at the posts in question, you’ll find that it’s not clear at all what you were saying. Now that I know what you meant to say, do I find it disturbing? At the time, left-wing elements believed Sirhan Sirhan was being used in a CIA mind control experiment and that his incarceration was a political act. I think that’s ridiculous, but at the time there were very understandable reasons to believe this. I look at it like pretty much all of that Weather Underground stuff; the sort of thing a bunch of naive, immature, but affluent kids used to thinking they can do anything they want and be impressive, might come up with. And judging from the interviews, Bill Ayers thinks something along those lines, as well. [/quote]

I was unclear at the time about Ayers and his wife dedicating the book to Sirhan? Let’s look at my first post on the matter. Seems pretty clear to me. You got nasty and labelled me with a medical term. :unamused: An apology is in order here I think. :whistle:

I’m well aware of the term “hockey mom” or “soccer mom” and of its political connotation. And, yes, it is often used to denote a sense of normalness. Politicians often use this label on themselves to appear as normal middle-class folk or they like to use the term to categorize a group of voters. Someone who is normal enough to drive to hockey games, tie their son’s skates, wake up early for tournaments, or driver an SUV to soccer/hockey games etc. I’m saying that anyone who has played hockey for nearly a decade as I have, should realize that so-called hockey moms come in all shapes, colors, dressing styles and incomes. Understand? So when I see Dim supporters laughing at Palin spending money on clothing despite being a self-professed hockey mom, I’m wondering: (a) did these critics ever play hockey?; and (b) what’s wrong with spending money to look good and how does this go against the image of a hockey mom?

Are all hockey moms supposed to be haggard, stinky, chain smoking, pink sweatpants-wearing skanks that look 30 years older than their actual age? In South Calgary, this was certainly not the case.

It is great that Palin is showing that hockey moms do come in all shapes, sizes, and styles :bravo:

Irrespective of how much it costs to look like a “Hockey Mom” why is it such a badge of honor for the Republicans anyway? Does Hockey Mom = President of the USA now?

Palin makes the Republicans look stupid. If she gets in, it will make the whole US look stupid. er.

Victoria Beckham
Now there’s a hockey mom.

Okay, soccer mom.
That bag cost 7,500 US$
Posh

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Victoria Beckham
…Okay, soccer mom.
That bag cost 7,500 US$
Posh[/quote]
Who’s the guy in drag sitting next to her?

[quote=“sjhuz01”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Victoria Beckham
…Okay, soccer mom.
That bag cost 7,500 US$
Posh[/quote]
Who’s the guy in drag sitting next to her?[/quote]
That’s her husband is disguise.

Screw the facts - Dems are always bad, Reps are always good. (repeat until you believe it)

I knew forumosa would be the source of true wisdom on this point. I now know what it means to be a ‘hockey mom’. Hockey mom can mean anything to anybody. It’s no contradiction in terms to be wealthy, powerful, but remarkably uneducated if you’re a hockey mom. It’s like saying, “I am of woman born” or “I pay taxes”. I feel now it would be fair for someone to say, “I sell crack for a living, but I am hockey mom,” or for death row inmates to appeal their sentence based on a newly realized identity as a hockey mom. It’s clear now why it’s no contradiction for Sarah Palin to dress like Victoria Beckham and still call herself a ‘hockey mom’. Why not? It sounds great and means all things to all people. But only the good things.

You know, liberals are always complaining about the negative campaign McCain ia running, but what about all those smears against Sarah Palin? People calling her “Diva” and Whack job"…

Yeah but you can see the difference here, right MikeN? McCain is running the negative campaign, while the negatives on Palin are coming from the press and voters.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Yeah but you can see the difference here, right MikeN? McCain is running the negative campaign, while the negatives on Palin are coming from the press and voters.

HG[/quote]

Actually the diva bit is coming from MacCain staffers as far as I know. So,yeah, big difference.

Well, the Republicans pick someone who severely lacks experience, and in her own words had “just hours notice” she was to become the running mate. It’s hardly a surprise she can’t handle it and portrays herself as a Diva or Whack job. It’s gone to her head, and she really does believe she is presidential quality, not just some poorly chosen attempt to pick up Hillary swing votes.

It’s a real shame Fred Smith isn’t here to endorse her. That would be funny.