Does Rotary have power to cancel my exchange year?

Hello,
I am Rotary exchange student in Taiwan, but i am in confilct with rotary rules and they might consider to cancel my exchange year. (meens sending me back home to Germany) My Question is, do they really have the power to do that and if yes, how? Do they have control over my visa?
I have very good friends here where i could stay until summer if they would just kick me out of the Hostfamily and maybe i could do a partime job to earn money. Can that work?

what did you do?

details please ! (us busybody grandma gurus want to know) :smiley:

Okay here some details :wink:
Rotary has some rules, most important are the "4Ds". They are "no driving", "no drinking", "no drugs" and "no dating". I broke the dating rule. I have a Taiwanese Girlfriend and i spend a lot of time with her so my hostfamily found it out. That is going on for four month now and they never liked it but they accepted it. But recently something changed my hostmothers mind. I was dating my girlfriend that day and as allways i came back before 10 oclock. My hostmother came back a little later and she seemed to be in rage, called me out of my room room and told me it is her duty as hostmother to tell rotary that i have a girlfriend and spend so much time on her.
On the next day she was talking to me again, saying that I am not really respectfull and that i dont adapt to the Taiwanese culture. She also told me i should think about why i went to taiwan and what i want here. She is also going to talk to Rotary about these things.
Maybe its also important that I am just 17 so Rotary or the hostfamily might be legal guardian for me…

[quote=“IE-coRe”]Okay here some details :wink:
Rotary has some rules, most important are the "4Ds". They are "no driving", "no drinking", "no drugs" and "no dating". I broke the dating rule. I have a Taiwanese Girlfriend and i spend a lot of time with her so my hostfamily found it out. That is going on for four month now and they never liked it but they accepted it. But recently something changed my hostmothers mind. I was dating my girlfriend that day and as allways i came back before 10 oclock. My hostmother came back a little later and she seemed to be in rage, called me out of my room room and told me it is her duty as hostmother to tell rotary that i have a girlfriend and spend so much time on her.
On the next day she was talking to me again, saying that I am not really respectfull and that i dont adapt to the Taiwanese culture. She also told me i should think about why i went to taiwan and what i want here. She is also going to talk to Rotary about these things.
Maybe its also important that I am just 17 so Rotary or the hostfamily might be legal guardian for me…[/quote]

I knew it ! I knew it had to be about a girl. That aside though. No Driving? Yes smart. NO drinking , not fun but again smart. NO drugs. Absolutely bravo…NO DRUGS…amen.

but no dating? Uhm. Whats the point then ?

You may as well have stayed home then.

NOt understanding about your host mom, but possibly she disapproves of this girl. For whatever reasons. Or maybe shes going on menopause.

But , heck its hard to be 17 sometimes. !!!

When i was 17 i had my first girlfriend. Sure she was 22 and a half and my mother absolutely HATED her ! It was a right mess really. So i feel for you.

I suppose you will be kicked out of the host moms house and possibly sent back. Dont know about the actual terms of your visa status.

At least in todays world of internet you can keep in touch with your girl.

Go back to Germany when the shi-zah hits the fan. Get your college degree and find a career on Taiwan if you want to get back (you cant each english but you could teach german perhaps).

She’s angry that you allowed yourself to be found out. If you had adapted to Taiwanese culture correctly, you would have learned that it is totally acceptable to break any laws, rules, or even basic societal norms, just so long as you remember to [color=#FF0000]LIE AND DENY! ALWAYS! [/color]The fact that you came clean and told the truth is such a terrible violation of very basic Taiwanese culture! No wonder your host mother is so pissed off with you! Get with the program young man…start lying your ass off like a Taiwanese!

1. Profusely apologize to your host mother.
  2. Tell her you are 100% wrong and she’s 100% correct.
  3. You will break up with your girlfriend immediately and never see her or communicate with her ever again!
  4. You will get your head straight, tow the line, adapt to Taiwanese culture and follow every directive to the nth degree!
  5. You will never make another transgression for the rest of your time here in Taiwan.
  6. Thank her for opening your eyes to the error and wickedness of your ways.

Then, after she buys it, just do continue to do whatever you want. If she ever suspects that you are back to your old ways, just use the Taiwanese 5 Ds. It’ll warm her heart to see how well you’ve adapted.

Deny
Deceit
Deceive
Disclaim
Dishonesty

That my young friend, is the Taiwanese way! Learn it, live it, love it!
:bow:

[quote=“IE-coRe”]Hello,
I am Rotary exchange student in Taiwan, but I am in confilct with rotary rules and they might consider to cancel my exchange year. (meens sending me back home to Germany) My Question is, do they really have the power to do that and if yes, how? Do they have control over my visa?
I have very good friends here where i could stay until summer if they would just kick me out of the Hostfamily and maybe i could do a partime job to earn money. Can that work?[/quote]

They are the sponsors of your visa. If they decide to stop sponsoring you then you will have to find another sponsor. If not then I think you’d have to do visa runs.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“IE-coRe”]Hello,
I am Rotary exchange student in Taiwan, but I am in confilct with rotary rules and they might consider to cancel my exchange year. (meens sending me back home to Germany) My Question is, do they really have the power to do that and if yes, how? Do they have control over my visa?
I have very good friends here where i could stay until summer if they would just kick me out of the Hostfamily and maybe i could do a partime job to earn money. Can that work?[/quote]

They are the sponsors of your visa. If they decide to stop sponsoring you then you will have to find another sponsor. If not then I think you’d have to do visa runs.[/quote]

Additionally, you are most likely attending a government high school based on Rotary’s support. If Rotary pulls their sponsorship, you will no longer be allowed to attend school.

I have first hand knowledge of a similar example to your situation. Years ago a Taiwanese girl was sent to the US on the Rotary exchange student program. She, too, violated the no dating/boyfriends rule. However, US parents aren’t too uptight about this as dating, proms, after school dances are all part of the “American experience”. It just can’t be too darned blatant. At any rate, she was sent there at age 17 and to attend her junior year. Once it was completed, she was to return to Taiwan to finish school. However, she thought the US and American high school was the “cat’s ass” and she wanted to attend her senior year (one more additional year) at her high school. The main reason is because she had an American boyfriend and didn’t want to leave him. This turned out to be impossible as Rotary had sponsored her for the student visa and as such this allowed her to attend an American public high school which is funded by taxpayer’s money. Once her year was up, that was it. There was no way for her to continue her senior year at that public high school because she needed the Rotarian’s sponsorship to do it. She ended up coming back to Taiwan and hating life at her high school here.

So, for you. If Rotary decides to cancel your visa, you will have to leave and come back on a visitor visa and you will no longer be able to attend high school. Lastly, you won’t be able to work. No part time jobs, nothing to earn a living. Whatcha gonna do then?

LIE AND DENY! :grandpa:

As a 17 year old is he allowed visa free? Any rules regarding how old you have to be to come in visa free unaccompanied?

17 should be ok i think, but is there an age limit?

IF ok, then he can stay 90 days at a time and just go out and come back in and doesnt have to study, work or any of that.

Thank you all, your answheres are wery helpfull. :thumbsup:
I didnt hear anything from Rotary yet and my hostmum turned back to normal behavior, but i heard thati am going to switch host family this saturday.
They dont know me yet so i might have a new chance and this time i will

I just hope its not to late yet.