Does Santa really come to Taiwan?

I realize it

damn right he comes! if he can get to miami from the north pole he can get to taipei.

Leave some zhu1 gen1 and chou doufu for him. Hen3 hao3 chi1.

Well, since Taiwan isn’t really a country, he might get confused and scatter his presents down the chimneys of China instead.

Just a thought.

HG

Awesome, I’m doin’ it. Reminds me of the time someone told me “Chinese mice don’t like cheese - they like fish, with a little soy sauce.”

[quote=“smell the glove”]I realize it

Awesome, I’m doin’ it. Reminds me of the time someone told me “Chinese mice don’t like cheese - they like fish, with a little soy sauce.”[/quote]

You dare bribe Santa? I’m gonna stuff coal so far up your stocking you’ll be coughing up diamonds!

Chinese Mice also hen3 hao3 chi1 with fish and little soy sauce… Maybe Sheng dan lao gong gong also like. zenmeyang?

“Yeah…I’m coming to Taiwan…and that little prick Johnny isn’t getting a damn thing!”

I was wondering if other parents here tell their kids about Santa or not in lieu of the propensity of teachers and kids to say there’s no such thing…

I was wondering if other parents here tell their kids about Santa or not in lieu of the propensity of teachers and kids to say there’s no such thing…[/quote]

B-b-but… why would they do that? Santa is real!

Present envy?

Something that worked with my nephews was after watching “Polar Express” with Tom Hanks last year, they didn’t question whether or not Santa was real because my sister told them like in the movie, Sant’s only real to those who believe…those who don’t believe, Santa doesn’t visit…(maybe a harsh way of explaining to my nehew why Santa doesn’t visit his jewish friend, but she wanted to hold onto the “Santa” atmosphere a little longer)

Four years ago I had two kindergarten girls who were total opposites; one was a princess and lived in a fantasy world and the other was raised by down-to-earth parents. Both great kids.

One day, the first girl was excited about having lost her tooth and getting some money from the tooth fairy. She was showing everyone the coin she got. The other girl didn’t even look up from her work and said, “There’s no such thing as a tooth fairy. It was your mom who put that money under your pillow. And there’s no such thing as Santa Claus either.” The first girl looked aghast so I quickly asked her, “Do you believe the tooth fairy put that under your pillow?” She nodded. I said, “Well, then that’s what matters. If she doesn’t believe in a tooth fairy, then I guess that’s why her mother has to put the money there herself.”

The girl is now in the 3rd grade. I’m not sure if she still believes in Santa or the Tooth Fairy, but I hope that she at least got one more to believe in them.

with all the children i have taught through the years… i tell them all that there’s santa… only a few have told me there is not… and they’re mostly the older ones…

Well, it might not be for some parents but here’s how I got the best of both worlds for my daughter. From the earliest days I’ve told her the truth, that it was us who brought the presents at Christmas. Then I’ve told her that for fun, there’s a traditional story we tell children about the guy in the red suit etc. As far as I can tell, this hasn’t diminished her enjoyment of Christmas one iota: she’s often gone to the grotto to see Santa and enjoyed her Christmas books. Same with the tooth fairy.

We’ve just visited the Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland. I gave her the scientific explanation of how this famous rock formation was created by volcanoes millions of years ago. I was then about to tell her about the traditional Irish folk tale of how Finn McCool, a giant wanted to build it as a pathway across the sea to Scotland but she had already read it in a book.

As we scrambled over the rocks, she turned to me, smiled and said, "That giant sure must have been busy. "

I laughed and agreed. She was enchanted by the place and would have stayed there all day if we hadn’t had to go. Seems to me kids can enjoy the stories without having to take them as true. Also protects aagainst disillusionment.

On a related note, I read in a child developmental book years ago, that if your child wants to know the name of something gave her the real name. Tell her it’s a train, not a chu-chu. It only makes it harder to learn the proper words.

Oh and by the way, if your kid is learning to walk don’t put her in one of those walking support frames which is supposed to be a halfway house to help her to learn to walk more quickly. According to research in the States kids who use them are slower to learn to walk.

Don’t stop me, I’m on a roll. Parents in Taiwan have this custom of having the kids sleeping with them until they’re a few years old. My wife is Taiwanese and she insisted on this for our daughter. I was brought up on the Western idea of keeping the kid in a separate cot and wasn’t too sure of this but my daughter was not happy at all about being by herself so I agreed. (Have to say it felt the most natural thing in the world)

Again according to American research, the Taiwanese (and other people) are on to something. Biologically we’re still the same people we were thousands of years ago living in the grasslands or wherever with a lot of predators around. Children slept with their parents for protection and warmth. The scientists say that kids who sleep with parents for the first few years grow up much more well-adjusted than those who don’t. It certainly seems to have worked with my daughter who is far more confident, competent and well adjusted than me (Irish Catholic upbringing, oh God :unamused: )

Oh well, there I go rambling again. But perhaps parents to be or new parents may find some food for thought. Can I just recommend a book " confident Children" by Gael Lindenfield (feld?). Excellent stuff.

Also “The Power of Negative Thinking” by Tony Humphreys, ISBN 0 7171 3789 9. Great for both parents as parents and as adults themselves. It explains why all those positive thinking books never really helped you. These books are based on the latest psychological research (unlike Dr Spock in the 60s) and you may find yourself as I did, instinctively nodding in agreement as you read.

Right, I’m done. (Collective sigh of relief from Forumosa :yay: )