Does Taiwan Garlic Smell Uniquely Bad?

Was walking around the kitchen looking for the bad smell and it turned about to be this garlic. It’s not old.

I’ve never thought garlic to be a bad smell only a garlic smell. But in Taiwan it seems to have a bad stinky smell.

Garlic breath in Taiwan seems to be a stinky smell instead of a garlic smell.

1 Like

I find that theyre are many different strains of garlic in tw. Some dont smell at all , some are potent.

I never buy chain store packages, always morning markets.

+1

+1000

3 Likes

Garlic breath is a thing here, a bad thing.

Italian Garlic, remove green stem from middle after crushing no garlic breath.
Worse food for garlic breath here is Baoza

1 Like

I’m a foreigner and this is still one of the most foreigner-sounding things I’ve heard today. It’s uh… garlic. What is it supposed to smell like?

3 Likes

I think it all smells of the same material (allicin), just that some strains /varieties of garlic have much much more of it.

Wikipedia tells us : Allicin is an oily, slightly yellow liquid that gives garlic its unique odor . It is a thioester of sulfenic acid and is also known as allyl thiosulfinate.

… and i can concur that thioesters (things compounded with Sulfur atoms) tend to be very smelly. Mercaptan is another example

1 Like

I love it. The Costco variety (whatever that is, but it’s local) is very strong. I mean I burn my mouth and my eyes water on some of it. But I’m a big garlic eater and like it raw with meat. I often eat beef wrapped in lettuce leaves Korean style. Some bean curd paste in the leaf is nice. Get some beer or scotch and the combination of flavors is wonderful.

2 Likes

God that stuff is bad . Any lab guy will know that smell. :grin:

I guess most garlic in Taiwan is imported from China . China is a huge exporter of garlic worldwide . Quality varies tremendously , good advice above.

It’s early

2 Likes

I remember China got into trouble quite a few years ago over the chlorine bleaching. If it is a perfect white you know they did something to it to make it look beautiful. At PX Mart I often see imported Spanish garlic. Also some grown locally, current batch I have is from Dongshi, Taizhong.

1 Like

I will never buy another garlic from supermarkets. They are not fresh, and some I have seen have already sprouted on the shelf. Sprouted garlic tastes funny/off.

Also morning market garlic is cheaper.

Raw garlic is stronger smelling than cooked.

Another thiol is the liquid striped skunks spray from glands near their anus, aka skunk musk.

If you’ve ever been sprayed by a skunk, you smell like a giant clove of crushed garlic. The smell must evolve as it oxidizes, because it is completely different up close (strong but not all that unpleasant) compared to further away (smells like the gates of hell).

So you know, go ahead an dwell on that the next time you put garlic in your mouth. :grin:

1 Like

i hope that is the Korean version of bean curd paste, not the Chinese version Doubanjiang or just chou doufu

You mean my dad didnt need to cutt skunk balls off a dead skunk to go deer hunting and to keep bears away??
:tent: ill tell him garlic works , he drives around looking for dead skunks :skunk: haha…

1 Like

It’s good for social distancing and reduces sexually transmitted infections.

1 Like

I love the smell of garlic, but not on someone’s breath…especially a drunk person.

…but only if you rub it all over your naughty bits. Or if you have sex with vampires.

Ya, I’m not sure “need” belongs in that sentence, but ime deer hunters sometimes lend too much credence to folk lore. Often with comical results.

I remember when the preferred liquid to spray all over yourself was piss from a doe in heat. Of course those guys tended to come back with quasi-tragic stories about what happened when they came across rutting bucks while walking to/from their deer stand. To each their own, I say.